On Project Nasphilitae (OOC Interactions & Plans)

Hello. This is a strictly OOC topic - as such, please refer to me as “Kate”, when you wish to interact both in this topic and in Inbox/Discord DMs/NS TGs. Thank you.

Pre-Introduction (Added)

All beneath was written before reading through the following topics. Coincidentally, what has been discussed was already addressed in detail:
The Discord Merging , Pacifica Reforms , This heated exchange in Activity check and This notification by GI (I close the story here).

Introduction

If you’re wondering why this is made a topic/thread and instead of re-joining (either) Discords, the reasons are twofold. First I am still very busy with RL projects and I know they will distract me. Secondly I really wish to guarantee an avoidance of involve needless affect/drama with this project. Re-joining is conditional to occur weeks-to-months down the line depending on how well I handle ongoing RL events. However, I will remain (periodically, as in every few days) engaged with others.

“Nasphilitae” is the name of the planned country. “Project” is used to insinuate an open and transparent set of: what is wished to be simulated, motivations behind it, which collaborative-canon aspects will be used, how the country will behave in interactions (why it behaves that way; the paradigm of the culture - will be RPd instead), as well as events which should be expected to other players.
This thread exists as to avoid the past (Viliakmon) mistake of: lacking elaboration, transparency and community information regarding what was/is portrayed.
Since I do first plan to clear all data available on VN (as it hasn’t been done completely), I will elaborate what it wanted to showcase and major themes it covered, allowing for those interested to still explore all minor references.
This thread will serve as pre-RP’d announcements in the future, with certain aspects having polls for players to vote on (as I find it the easiest manner in which to abide by the rule of consent).

Do keep in mind my personal background in PolSci and IntSec; Since what was simulated with VN was covering (albeit pretty well-known) themes from these disciplines; Nasphilitae will do the same, though its main theme will be the process of democratic consolidation in transitionary political systems. This was and will be my focus behind RP, though the style this time will be delivered differently.

What was Viliakmon even about?

It displayed the consequences of a security hazard, among others.

The major topic it portrayed was - the hazardous consequences of mismanaging security systems of control within (even de jure) political structures. Security systems of control rely on three pillars: the Military, the Intelligence, the Militia. If you do not have effective civilian control over these three aspects (as VN did not) and if you do not separate their specific group interests but align all three of them with the collective national interests (as VN did not) - You risk a hazard of a failed state.
VN did have a developed civil society (particularly that of pharmaceutical & arms industries with each respective educational channels) - However, lest for 2-3 characters (Tayna & the BFA-which ended up inheriting the now failed state), they were either directly controlled or monitored by the security apparatus. The risk was amplified by the pharmaceutical sector given the openly criminal activity which both the Military and the Intelligence engagents in - domestically and abroad.
Other themes included: Cultural dialectic between the Bregoder (combative hillfolk) and the Kretti (mercantile coastliners) - This was taken from Aristotles “Athenian Constitution” initial chapters. A showcase of how democratic reformists tend to devolve into “dynastic politicians” (Iakov-to-Tayna). A wicked paradigm of ethics which the population had due to lack of proper conditioning from the state apparatus (rewards & punishments). Testing the axiom which states that violent transitions of power (even if bringing about democratic reformism) will teleologically lead to violent transitions being the norm. In the end - how a combination of all these factors gives rise to extremist demagogues even after conflicts seemingly cease. And more.

What will “Nasphilitae” simulate and why?

Detailed processes of democratization.

Nasphilitae will simulate the process of legal, economic, institutional, societal and political transition. Inspirations it draws from will be: the Portuguese, Spanish and Greek transitions in 1970s and 1980s; together with the Czechoslovak transitons during the 1990s and early 2000s. Nasphilitae is a polity-focused simulation, I wish to test axioms of comparative politics in such a way which attempts to find the methodic (steps) in this process which results in a truly consolidated country. Reasons are numerous, though ongoing (long and short term) real-life events are the main driving factor. It’s a behind-the-scenes selection by elimination, attempting to find which particular factors lead to “autocratized” or “hybrid” regimes.

“Nasphilitae” - behavior in interactions?

It's a country in transition. It will take 3-9 months IRL for it to be fully engaged with the international community. Its planned contributions in the canon will be oriented towards introducing systems theory and interdisciplinary studies as a case study of itself - Its contributions won't be major as it can't be influential for another 3-5 years.

Given how the inspirations I plan to draw from were already in dire states, the one amplifying factor I will allow myself (which these did not possess at the time) was a strong civil society which actively wishes to engage in political participation. This requires a specific cultural background (foundation & national myth, paradigm of the world built over time and examplified in religious & ethical axioms, a particular intonation in the fields of linguistics & discrete mathematics, how which and why inductive and deductive reasoning was developed…)
At first expect “Nasphilitae” to behave with reserve despite announcing itself to be open. It might take 3-9 RL months for it to become fully actively engaged in world affairs. It will inform the world of developments in its process of reformation. Its statements should be expected to be pragmatic (cold) and cooperative (virtuous)

“Nasphilitae” - canon & consent-consensus effects?

This is the part where I give you the first poll. Its envisioned to be a former colonial dominion of the Austral Empire, speaking Austral, though utilizing Aegean and Montacian/Pretian/whatever IRP is for Latin in official domestic titles and offices. I do have a reason for this as these languages have specific terms & morphological structures which are planned to be utilized in constructing the cultural background.

Thank you all for taking the time to read this. I will check back in a few days, as I am now more overbeared with RL projects than before. If this is not completely rejected, I will make the map claim, at that point erasing all VN data on the wiki. After some time and initial RP events, this thread will get another poll involving willing participants in the process of economic liberalization (foreign investment & cooperation).

• No to all 3
  • Yes to Austral Empire heritage, no to Aegean & Pretian
  • Yes to Austral, no to the rest
  • Yes to Austral, Aegean & Pretian, no to Austral Empire heritage
0 voters
7 Likes

Hello again. Thank you all for participating in the poll and reading the first post. Since the first two options are winning (for now), I will elaborate on these choices.
Choice 1: As a former colony of the Austral Empire, Nasphilitae will be a settler colony which gradually gained higher autonomy and eventually independence due to the collapse. Importantly, Nasphilitae isn’t envisioned to have been in any confrontations (unless those of the Austral Empire, when the community decides to expand its lore, as its former colony). The reason why is because it offers a “blank slate” of origin. I do not intend to expand AE’s lore further than Nasphilitae.
Option 2: The reason why I wish to use Aegean and Pretian is because of their specific morphology, semantic structure & semiotic variance. E.g. “Category” etymologically meant “Exchange, Discourse, Argument, [verbal] Interaction” in “Aegean”.
Either way, here are some updated with a chart which makes it simpler.

Project Update:

Nasphilitae will begin with three news agencies and two topics: “Freedom Press of Nasphilitae” (posts updates on the PNN). It aggregates the following topics. Topic “NAACN” (weekly, bi-weekly and monthly updates regarding major events). Topic “IaN” (explores the lore and information about Nasphilitae).

Important Note: “Inspirations” will not be mirrors. Nasphilitae will be authentic in combining the normative (cultural-social; IaN) and procedural (political-economic; NAACN) aspects of democratization.

6 Likes

UPDATE:

Hello again, hope you are all doing well. Before I reply to mentions/inbox/other replies, I will post this update.
A major change is that I might re-join the Discord server sooner rather than later.
A minor change is related for deleting the information about VN and…Inetez (which I forgot existed) - I will do it after the 29th and 30th. Reason for delay: work, birthday, research & other OOC activities.

Some key information is displayed below:

Timelines of Release

Instead of writing a 2k page pragraph on when and how things will be released, here’s a png file:

“over time” is also meant for pretty benign things such as Physical Geography (within it: working groups for ‘Environment’ - flora and fauna and ‘Climatology’).

Econometrics & Why taking so long?

I want Nasphilitae to be somewhat organic-Aristotles sense

I also want each of the above to be RP’d as stated here

Cumulatively, this means:

1. Attempting to make each of these threads graphically appeasing (this is a spoiler for Nasphiliti society)
  2. Actually simulating, as in holding myself to a higher standard than before.
  3. Practice both comprehension for other players (e.g. “The Peerage Meets” makes litlle sense if there’s no hyperlink which elaborates on the reaction of “…Kate why does Nasphilitae still have a Peerage?”) & brevity (e.g. not hogging TPNN as my personal elaboration thread).

Another reason is;

Econometrics of other Pacifica countries & Nasphilitae:

Source: Wiki Page of countries in Pacifice by GDP

…This. Given that the formula of GDP is:
GDP = Consumption + Investment + Government Spending + Net Exports
I don’t know what’s going on, but for the sake of contingency, I will use the following metrics for Nasphilitae (Gold background colour):

Nasphilitae_GDP_Median

This puts the nominal GDP at around that of Esfalsa (Pacifica) - TSP Encyclopedia and the per capita GDP at around that of Karnetvor (Pacifica) - TSP Encyclopedia. Using the below median GDP (red background colour) puts both at that of Phanama (Pacifica) - TSP Encyclopedia. While both of these make sense: As Phanama is Nasphilitaes northern neighbor, Esfalsa is its western neighbor and Karnetvor had influenced Crabry culturally in the past –

Nasphilitae isn’t structured to be deeply historically in poverty (given that it was a settle-colony of Austra and that it was granted independence – reasons which will be elaborated later in the IaN thread) - but to have declined recently.

That’s all for now. Thank you all for reading.

3 Likes

Hi. Still here. Flight is in a few hours. Due to previous month inactivity and foreseeable lack of access to laptop & desktop, will be active on this project via phone:

(First slide includes other countrys information mentioned in the OOC post).

As well as some others related to changes in the general Discourse architecture, aimed at providing stable user-level templates for IC media threads & similar.

As insinuated in the OOC thread, the OPAL thread and some DMs, two points need to be re-instated:

I apologise for past behaviour (referencing ~February/March and earlier).

Interactions (OOC) with the community will be scarce and mostly impersonal (ex.: the two mentioned projects I’ll work on while abroad). Interactions (IC) have been prolonged due to unforeseen events arising which I have no control over.

These will be further elaborated ~10th Jan when OOC work obligations allow more time. This was pre-written as well, since I haven’t slept in 2 days and my (third this month) flight is in <12h.

Speak to you soon, hope you’re doing well. Feel free to TG me in the mean-time.

2 Likes

Hi everyone.
You will be puzzled href=https://thesouthpacific.org/t/ian-opal/4470/10?u=genericsequencealias by what I post IC in the next few days, like that; but it will all make sense once it is over. There are a few things I need to do before I can engage in roleplays with other players.
Things such as legislative form of procedure, parliamentary privileges, so on.
It will be explicitly said on PNN. Wait for the character of Perennial to deliver the news of NP to the public on PNN.

Based off of your responses here:
@Kliegme , @Ray , @anjo , @LordGianni , @Eflad. And on the voting,
@Besern , @Weisserstein , @KingTEM , @RobbyTheSeal , @Flaming
Alright. Sound fun.

(have to edit for mentions. REPLY WAS HERE)

As for the question of what will be roleplayed, where, when how many, I can’t tell you now because something might happen when my government forms which makes something a focal point.
It will be by the 11 12 13 this month, since the elected become public officials (and officers) on the 11th Union of Council Parliament Preliminary Meeting.

Feel free to talk, discuss or w/e. Here, with me in TG or on my Discord if I can still make one.

5 Likes

I’d want to expand this, due to NPs proximity to these countries and their relatively same cultural midset: @Pronoun as Esfalsa.

I’m also adding an invitation to the following: @ZeroXz because being nice means they feel better and then I feel better, and then @Izaakia and QQ if they are not busy.
@Qwert QQ.

^^^^^^^LOOK AT THE ABOVE REPLY^^^^^

3 Likes

Sorry, I don’t think I understand what the invitation is for. Could you elaborate on the intended RP and the involvement of tagged nations?

2 Likes

oh, sorry.

it’s pretty much a notice that NP will become more proactive in foreign matters. reason is that i waited to RP a cabinet formation before doing most things (including the nat. information registry, which ill do within an hour).

the tags are notifying that ill probably discord DM on details when IRP RAFA pushes a notification on PNN. as well as seeing if players objectify/dont wish to discuss.
the tag list includes people who participated on this thread in the past or otherwise interacted, though the list isnt exhaustive/closed.

2 Likes

Major Update on Nasphilitae (Foreign Interactions)

TLDR

1. Read next NAACN Update

2. A new IC thread will be created which involves the HM Cabinets (External Affairs, Armed Forces, Agency for Identification and Documentation) as well as Foreign Trade Agreements.

3. The IC thread will be closed for others until CSD, CSD:Security Dimension and CSD:Economic Dimension are posted, after which it will serve as channel of official interaction with NP by other countries.

NAACN’s upcoming post

NAACN’s upcoming post will report about HM Cabinets writing the outline of:

Collective Security Document, by the Cabinet for External/Foreign Affairs.

Contents (of the CSD, not the NAACN report): CSD will include NPs (characters: Earl Quinlan Emmerson and HoS Grand Duke Dawson Ernst) view of:
Itself; The world (global/WF level, regional/Crabry level, Great Power categorisations, Regional Power categorisations);
Recommendations in pursuing Goals (due to the IRP nature of NP, the terminology of Goal is chosen over “Values” or “Interests”) on the Cultural (Diplomatic/Soft Power) Dimension, by methods of restructuring the domestic Economic & Security Dimensions;
Finishing in outlining Key Strategic Partnerships (the aforementioned “The world” categories).

CSD (Collective Security Document)

1. Collective Security Document: Already covered its contents above. By: HM Cabinet for External Affairs. Focus: “Cultural” Dimension (Diplomatic/Soft power).

2. CSD:Security Dimension Strategy Method of achieving the CSD goals. By: HM Cabinet for Armed Forces. Character Authors: (General, Peer David Atkinsons).
    Contents: Militarisation of Mechanical Industries (MXCHA, ENGeN and PrototAutom) into military precursors needed for large economies outlined in the CSD, (Key strategic partners).

3. CSD:Economic Dimension Strategy Method of achieving CSD and CSD:Security Dimension goals. By: HM Cabinets (collectively), Head of State, the National Parliament). Character Authors: (Earl Quinlan Emmerson, Grand Duke Dawson Ernst, Peerress Madison Edwards, HoG Syd G. Payton, HoHMSG Nowell Riley Trenton, LR of Plenary Committee Claire Renske).
    Contents: Related to revitalisation of Financial and Mercantile service sectors; Related to Import:Export and/or portfolio investment and/or partnership agreements of aforementioned Mechanical Industries (MXCHA, ENGeN, PrototAutom); as well as other major companies (AmpoChem-Inc, Kon-Inc, DyeDyes).

IC Thread details

Name

The IC Thread will be named “Joint Service for Foreign Interaction & Agreements of Nasphilitae”

Participation in the IC Thread (IMPORTANT):

The participation is closed until CSD documents are posted. After which it will serve for as a channel of interaction with NP by other countrie.

Multilateral (IMPORTANT): All bilateral agreements will have to be approved by the Head Ambassador of Nasphilitae to the World Forum (Md Adrianna Rolson) and the Head of HM Cabinet for External Affairs (Earl Quinlan Emmerson) IRP prior. This is emphasised if it includes AGREEMENTS. This is NOT TRUE if it includes trade, investment or partnership agreements with BUSINESS ENTITIES.

Bilateral (IMPORTANT): Keep in mind that CSD outlines Key Strategic Partners, countries which are IRP given a privileged status compared to the rest.

Roleplay (IMPORTANT): If a player wishes to roleplay a prior OOC agreed on (here, on Discord or in messages) interaction in detail; For the sake of clarity, they should first post on the IC thread/topic (after it is unlocked for participation), after which a separate IC thread/topic may be created where it is RP’d.

Participation in this thread:

This thread is open for other players to participate in btw. I wrote this so that future actions are clear. If future elaboration is required and the contents of this reply are still unclear, please reply with questions.

4 Likes

Randice?

Yes, Randice. They (NB coded) will be used to describe what exactly happened in 2001-2019 from the perspective of an average citizen. They will also be used to elaborate the ambiguity of 2019-2023 transfer.
The accords themselves and why it took 4 years will not be elaborated by him, since they’re documents. It will probably be published by Ayala Moran at some point and analysed by Robert Stenhouse (as he wasn’t an official part of the opposition).

Randice is a reliable narrator

Randice is the one character who IS a reliable narrator. Much like the wiki page of Nasphilitae, it is written from an OOC POV. However, Randice is limited by knowledge of all events.

Randice was one of the first character I’ve planned when I started

Randice has been hinted to be a key character:

1 Like

Reference list update:Systems (April):

Will not include references made in the academic, artistic, nor media sphere.

– The Political System of Nasphilitae is inspired by IRL “Comparative Constitutional Engineering” by Sartori.
Of the recommended policies for transition governments, I took the two-round voting cycles [for the Monarch, the Executive, and the Legislative].
As for why he recommends two-round voting cycles over any other voting system, I suggest reading the book, since the explanation would be too long.

– The Socio-Cultural System and Fusion-Divsion of Power of Nasphilitae is inspired by IRL “Polyarchy” by Robert Dal.
A TLDR of it is that Polyarchic Democracies orient themselves around constant power struggles between elites of the country. It is noticed that institutionalisation (through state offices and elections) helps calm internal tensions within the society by setting ground rules.

– The Joint Service and Collective Security Documents of Nasphilitae are directly inspired by IRL Adam Watson, together with both the English School of International Relations and the British Committee of International Relations.
The TLDR is that the approach taken was Realist-Constructivist-Realist (in PoliSci IntRel terms)
Which is to say that the procedure is to: 1. Assess situations as they are realistically; 2. As situations are social constructs, plan to socially construct a new reality tailored to your own interest; 3. Manifest the construction into the new real situation.

The latter reference and inspiration should not come as a surprise to anyone who’s read the bio on my profile on here, specifically the post-MA Essay topic.

1 Like