ProfessorHenn for Prime Minister 4

Hark, hear the llamas sing!!

I’m back, running for our region’s central executive office for the fourth time, and hopefully with a little bit of a different campaign than before. A little more vision, a little more vibe-heavy. We’ll see how it goes!!!

Here’s the BLUF: We should be more party, we can be more gregarious and outgoing, and we absolutely must do some recruitment to stymie our post-Frontier numbers if we want to have more than 2 people run for office.

The Party

Where’s the party at!!! It exists in lampshade-bar on Discord, but where is it on the forums? How much of it is maintained on the RMB? Can the Assembly repeal its rule on drinking SPIT at the dais?

In short, I think we can do a better collective job at being more energetic, more varied in how we interact with each other, and a little more consistent on the forums in having some discussions and conversations on a range of topics. We used to have South Pacific University, let’s see what classes can be brought over to the new campus.

The Friends

We’ve done a lot of good events over the past term, and I appreciate the Minister of Culture, Silva, massively for cooperating in their planning and execution on sometimes very short notice. It’s amazing stuff, and I want us to keep it up, essentially. Let’s keep doing smaller events with more varied regions, including ones not traditionally aligned with us, and work the scene on establishing a bigger reputation as a fun region to just do stuff with. Party region needs party friends and we can absolutely afford hosting a few parties ourselves.

As for the rest of our foreign policy, we ought to continue the press to shift power towards Aegis, as it remains the best forum to engage on faction wide issues and concerns. We have the support of some other regions in this, as well. For getting our people involved in FA, I’d like to keep our prospects to folks who are a little more proven in their trust and confidence, such as those who have participated in the SPSF a fair bit, a history of FA-related discussions in the Assembly without foreign entanglements, or a history of SC participation without foreign entanglements, to name a few avenues.

The People

I say to all who have not yet experienced this great region, its culture, and especially its people: Where Y’At!!!

The frontier update halved our native spawns, and the region has essentially done nothing much to respond. We haven’t doing API or stamp recruitment, we didn’t keep on with SPROUT, we didn’t drastically change how we handle integration, we didn’t change our culture in welcoming folks in. No ill will is intended to anyone for this, it’s a browser game and easy to get focused on the more important details of life like living, but it’s also something we can still work towards slowly, if slow is what we can afford.

Let’s convene a discussion on establishing an API recruitment process, or continue the one on using SPROUT, so that we see it working by the end of the term. Let’s also ask better questions of our newcomers, such as “what brings you to NS” to see how best we can integrate them into all of what we do here. RP, RMB, Assembly, and more, there’s a lot here to do stuff with. Finally, let’s revive the discussion on Pathways to Engsgement to see where these changes fit in with the broader strategy and get a plan together to implement what hasn’t yet happened.

Conflict of Interest

Member, Legislator, Coral Guardian, Minister of Foreign Affairs, Deputy Prime Minister of the Coalition of the South Pacific
Former Minister of Culture, Prime Minister of the South Pacific
Crown Prince of Selene

7 Likes

By my count, the Cabinet communicated with the public on the forums just four times in the past three months, outside of answering questions from citizens.[1][2][3][4] What are your plans for communication in the upcoming term?

(Edit: okay, to be fair, I forgot that it’s five counting the new treaty.)

1. Office of the Cabinet - #165 by Penguin ↩︎

2. Coalition Day 2024 ↩︎

3. OWL Engagement Survey ↩︎

4. State of the Coalition - July 2024 ↩︎

1 Like

Firstly, thank you!
Secondly, the questions:

1. How will your Cabinet be organized? What Ministries will there be in it?
  2. What are you going to do with the Integration issue?
  3. Any specific plans for Tidal Force?
  4. Do you intend to have newcomers in your Cabinet?

Thanks!

This sounds interesting and could definitely boost engagement. Mind elaborating on it? Your vision for it?

I’m sure there are folks who are not experienced in foreign affairs but are interested in getting involved in it. Will these people ever get to “learn the ropes?” Maybe from a more experienced FA official? Admittedly, the ambassador program was a good way of getting people oriented in the FA field, though it was reasonably shut down.

I really like this campaign—I think the energy and spirit in the region has gone missing recently (probably due to the F/S update). I think you piece together a solid agenda surrounding literal engagement, something that is important to every successful region.

In part due to RL circumstances forcing me off Discord and NationStates for around a month this term, but retaining my access to the forum, I’m intending to host more events/content on the forum and communicate on items that are in the starting stages of planning a little more frequently. Not a lot of people will know about a festival that’s upcoming until the work is done, when they might want to help plan it out and participate in that exciting process too.

I’m not assigning specific ministries at this time, owing to needing to have folks onboard with the vision who are willing to help implement it. My goals are at least a MoFA that isn’t me and a MoC that’s willing to do a lot of interregional event planning, even if they’re not good at it, since that experience will come with time, but the passion won’t.

The Admiralty has been working SPSF matters and I have no particular agenda here, so they will continue it on. Intent is to consult with them on a Minister of Defense appointment, if desired, since I’ve historically used the position as a way to develop leadership in our ranks with a safety net in the form of the PM and the Admirals.

If someone is interested and brings the energy, I’ll have them sail with me. Newcomers are welcome, because those folks have the energy.

Learning the ropes here is being in the FA Council and discussing policies and strategies with the more experienced players in the game. Sitting in on bilateral discussions, establishing connections with foreign players, etc. It’s a slow process, but we have some folks in the middle of it.

I use SPU as a shorthand for the subforum we had on the last forum where we had more long form, more serious discussions. Things like RL politics or foreign affairs, or philosophical matters. The vision is to bring those back, since I know we have a few folks who would be interested in discussing them in a better medium than Discord (for the purposes of this).

2 Likes

This is interesting! I’m not that great at asking questions, but since it’s easy for all of us that engagement and integration are our main priorities, I have the following questions:

I assume that this means we should bring back some sort of South Pacific University? What would it be its role? I haven’t heard anything about it to be sure, but is there an idea of teaching newcomers or others interested the functioning of TSP in a detailed way, as well as the activities they could do in the region, as a sort of way to get them interested? Perhaps I’m just taking this random sentence and expanding it too much.

How would the people get involved in FA? Over here you mention that the prospects are for people you can trust, and those that have participated in the SPSF plenty. Let’s just focus on the SPSF people for this; for instance, would those who show interest, or the officers, be awarded an advisor role in the MoFA or would they be junior MoFA Cabinet members, secretaries of some sort… I assume we’re talking about getting multiple new people participating in FA, after all, so getting the MoFA to do most of the job isn’t the idea, right?

This is probably just my ignorance about the topic, but what would be the difference between the two?
How would this recruitment process work? Would it only be oriented towards new nations, or would it be periodically advertised even to those who might reside in TSP but haven’t dug deeper into what other activities they could do (like joining the forum, SPSF, RP…).
Would TSP also send recruitment telegrams throughout all of NS?

Your campaign is pretty sound and suggests we open the discussion on essential parts of our politics which truly affect our region where it matters; I wish to see them bring concrete results, though, after all, the discussion is only the start of change!

I won’t comment on what a future TSPU could be, but focusing purely on what it was there wasn’t any teaching involved, not in the way you imagine at least. It was simply a section within the forum where we could discuss real life issues.

1 Like

In essence, what Kringle said.

Using your example, those folks would be given an FA Advisor role and brought in to FAC to begin discussing things with the cabinet and with more senior FA folks.

SPROUT is a program designed to telegram nations that are a day or two old, after the big rush of recruitment telegrams has happened and they’ve decided to stay in the region. Basically a follow up with information that’s in the welcome TG to remind folks of what they can do here.

For external recruitment, yes, we absolutely would send throughout NS. Intent is to have discussions with allies on how we approach recruitment from their regions, but every UCR has been sending telegrams to our newly created nations for decades, so I imagine it’ll be a short conversation.

1 Like