Pathways to Engagement, August 2023

I am extremely wary of adding any more dispatches than one to have to maintain, even if they’re done via software and you only need to change a line in a google spreadsheet, because that’s one more thing we’re asking future players to have to maintain when they might just not care at all. The less things we have to keep track of and keep an eye over to make sure they’re updated (peep the main Coral Guard dispatch still mentioning the Local Council as one avenue to getting appointed, so imagine how all of the other links going to all sorts of dispatches are outdated too), the better, since that’s less overhead to worry about.

I’ve mentioned this before, but maybe not here, I think we would do better to have most, if not all, of our main informational threads be hosted on the forum, in their respective categories and pinned (Maybe replacing the default topics Sandaoguo put up there when we first moved over?) With exception of RMB and Discord activities and most military day-to-day operations, which operate on the gameside/Discord, almost everything else listed happens on the forums, so it would make sense to me to keep the actual information that is relevant for both existing users and new users here on the forum. @Cryo and @BlockBuster2K43 did a great job with the Office of Assembly Affairs, and @Qwert and @LordGianni have About: Pacifica canon, About: A1-0 canon, and About: Aurora canon, among various map threads and @Maverick’s extensive Guide: Starting in A1-0. I recognize that the only thing missing from the list is the government one, which is my purview, and I’ll rectify that as soon as I can manage, but I’ll reiterate that I think we should keep our major info threads here on the forum.

Should the intro wizard be scrapped and we only have the Get Involved wizard, for people to apply to the Assembly/military/RP?

Could be a good idea to run a survey about this, and also include it in applications/the wizards so we can keep a running tally? In any case. . .

I favor brevity in welcome telegrams/recruitment telegrams, and a simpler code for dispatches and WFEs, so I’ll probably hit up the Delegate here this week to discuss potential changes to the WFE, remaining cognizant of the legal requirements we have. A lot of the changes I’ve made haven’t really been open to public discussion, like bringing back OWL recommendations before sending them back to the shadow realm, but if we end up agreeing on a plan to make major changes, I’ll raise them in an appropriate topic.

The welcome telegram is huge, but it hits a lot of the important wickets we’d want new users to know. I wonder if we couldn’t abbreviate some of it without losing the meat and potatoes of the content, as well as the spice of the tone, but that’s splitting hairs without working on the rest, so it’s no biggie.

Pronoun and I did do this for a test run a few weeks back with SPROUT. I’m down with keeping it up, it’s a huge area we could tap into.

I had more thoughts but they’ve left me over the course of writing this and listening to Death Grips. I will drop them in when I can chase them down again.