[2345.AB] Change of Cabinet Office Names

Draft 1

 This Bill doesn’t affect any functions of government, but is purely a cosmetic change.

[…]

[…]

[…]

[…]

V. THE EXECUTIVE

Establishing an executive branch consisting of the ChancellorPrime Minister and an appointed Cabinet.

(1) The ChancellorPrime Minister is the head of government and the leader of the executive branch. They will be responsible for implementing their electoral mandate, being a liaison between the government and the community, interacting with foreign regions and organizations, directing the regional military, filling appointed positions within the government, promoting regional culture, overseeing the Coalition’s interest in World Assembly matters, integrating new members into the community, and defending the Coalition’s interests.

(2) The ChancellorPrime Minister may appoint a Cabinet that consist of ministers under the following provisions:

1. Appointed members of the Cabinet must receive confirmation from the Assembly prior to entering office.
  2. The ChancellorPrime Minister may relieve a Cabinet member of their position at their discretion.
  3. The ChancellorPrime Minister will define the role the appointed Secretaryminister will occupy upon nomination to the Assembly.
  4. The ChancellorPrime Minister may delegate their statutory powers, but not their responsibility, to their appointed deputy as needed.

(3) The ChancellorPrime Minister may issue further regulations to adequately conduct their executive business.

[…]

Election

(6) ChancellorPrime Minister elections will be held every three months.

[…]

Executive Orders

(8) The ChancellorPrime Minister may issue Executive Orders to address an immediate and pressing issue created by ambiguity or holes in a particular law, which will immediately have the effect of law.

[…]

[…]

[…]

VIII. THE COUNCIL ON REGIONAL SECURITY AND CORAL GUARD

Establishing a central authority for protecting the Coalition’s security.

[…]

Membership of the Council on Regional Security

[…]

(3) Eligible members may become members of the Council on Regional Security via two methods, either application to the Council itself, or nomination by the Delegate and ChancellorPrime Minister.

[…]

(5) The Delegate and ChancellorPrime Minister may jointly nominate any person meeting the requirements for membership and who are well suited to protect regional security. Prior to the nomination, the Delegate and ChancellorPrime Minister will consult with the Council for their advice. To ensure collegiality and prevent dysfunction, if two-thirds of the members of the Council object to the prospective nominee’s membership, the nomination will not move forward. If no such objection exists, then the nomination will be submitted to the Assembly for approval via three-fifths majority vote.

[…]

[…]

Powers of the Council on Regional Security

[…]

[…]

(10) The Council on Regional Security, the ChancellorPrime Minister, and the Delegate will establish a line of succession for the Delegate seat.

(11) The Council on Regional Security shall designate an individual as Intelligence Coordinator, who must be notified of and approve all intelligence and counter-intelligence operations. The Intelligence Coordinator will be responsible for disseminating any and all intelligence to the Council on Regional Security and other bodies as needed. The Intelligence Coordinator and the ChancellorPrime Minister will maintain a regional intelligence classification system as necessary for ensuring information security.

Establishing an authority for maintaining influence and endorsements to defend the region.

[…]

Membership of the Coral Guard

[…]

[…]

[…]

[…]

Powers and Responsibilities of the Coral Guard

[…]

[…]

[…]

IX. THE MILITARY

Creating an official military for the purposes of regional defense, war, and gameplay.

[…]

(2) The military will be led by the ChancellorPrime Minister, along with a corps of generals appointed by the ChancellorPrime Minister and approved by the Assembly. The ChancellorPrime Minister and general corps may establish further hierarchy, create programs, and appoint deputies as they see necessary.

(3) The military will have the support of the Coalition in conducting operations to protect innocent regions from attack and oppression and promote legitimate, native democratic institutions across the world. The military may not colonize or annex any region without the express permission of the ChancellorPrime Minister and a majority vote of the Assembly. Nor may the military attack, subjugate, purge, destroy, or vandalize any regions, excepting those regions which espouse hateful ideologies and those regions against which the Coalition has declared an official state of war.

(4) The ChancellorPrime Minister will ensure that no military activities harm the government’s diplomatic affairs or public relations.

X. RECALLS AND MOTIONS OF NO CONFIDENCE

Establishing a method to hold government officials to account.

[…]

(2) A Motion of No Confidence may be initiated by the Assembly if the members have lost faith in the effectiveness and activities of the ChancellorPrime Minister and the Cabinet. Motions of No Confidence must be debated for three days and receive a motion and a second before being moved to vote. Passage requires three-fifths majority support of those voting.

(3) If a Motion of No Confidence is made and passed against the ChancellorPrime Minister, they and their Cabinet will immediately resign from office, a new ChancellorPrime Minister election will be called under relevant laws, and a successor will be elected. After the election has been conducted, the ChancellorPrime Minister-elect will immediately assume office. Should a special election for ChancellorPrime Minister begin more than halfway into a scheduled term, the next scheduled election will be canceled.

XI. THE ADMINISTRATION TEAM

Creating an independent, apolitical body to manage and moderate communications.

[…]

[…]

[…]

(4) While the Administration Team may appoint global moderators if needed, the ChancellorPrime Minister, the Chair of the Assembly, and roleplay moderators primarily will be responsible for the moderation of their dedicated Discord servers and forums.

[…]

[…]

[…]

I like it. Maybe we could have Secretaries again.

2 Likes

I was shocked when I saw that “Minister” was only mentioned once in the entire Charter

Why?

Why not???

radical-edward-ed

With a tinge more seriousness, I just prefer the aesthetic of Chancellor and Secretary to Prime Minister and Minister. Secretary isn’t at least unprecedented in the Coalition, and we can make a hell of a lot more Star Wars references if we had a Chancellor.

2 Likes

This just seems silly and pointless.

Cuz :couch_and_lamp:s are cool :slight_smile:

I see no reason for that. “Why not?” More work on something useless, besides the Prime Minister is already part of the TSP’s vocabulary, daily life and culture.

If you’re not from German-speaking Europe, you would think we’re a university if our leader is suddenly called chancellor.

I don’t understand the “this is pointless” arguement. If the Assembly never even considered anything it considered “pointless”, what would ever change?
Vocabularies can change, and sometimes they should.

It’s useless because there is no need, there are no real reasons, it just doesn’t make sense

Either one supports the change in term to Chancellor, or they don’t. That’s what this amendment is about. It’s not “senseless” just because it’s asking a much smaller question than voter registration reform or abolishing the Local Council.

1 Like

Maybe I misunderstood what you were saying, but I want to clear this up in case I didn’t

This is the only mention of “minsters” I saw

Okay, I must apologize for the erroneous term.
However, I still don’t see the need for this, my honest opinion is: whatever, although I prefer “Prime Minister”.

1 Like

That’s fine, and that’s the angle to approach it from. I don’t look at bills and amendments as “do I think this is important”, I look at them as “do I like this better than the current way things are”

1 Like

It’s fair to think so, being honest.

1 Like

Here is:

1 Like

Ah, thank you! I figured further changes would have to be made, but I also knew I’d need help to find them

1 Like

I mean, semantically, I don’t mind a change of name, given that I think a common connotation of ‘minister’ is that the official is also a member of the legislature, which is no longer a requirement. The title of Secretary fits with that, at least with my American background, and I don’t necessarily mind that change.

However, I don’t love the term ‘Chancellor’ — its connotations feel unclear. I mean, just look at the Wikipedia article, and how long and varied it is. I genuinely couldn’t find one example of a position with the title of Chancellor that refers to a head of government elected by citizens, not chosen from the legislature. I did find many other usages that could easily produce confusing connotations — the equivalent of a Prime Minister in Germany and Austria, the foreign minister in many countries of Latin America, the justice minister in Finland and Sweden, the leader of many universities, a record-keeper in many dioceses and eparchies…

Is there a reason for the title of Chancellor other than that apparently some of us like it? I mean, if a clear majority of us just subjectively really like it, then it’s fine I guess. But the connotations of the names of our official offices to newcomers does matter. That’s why we have something called the “Coral Guard” instead of the “High-Endorsement Nations,” why the East Pacific has Viziers and the Grey Wardens have Warden-Constables and Lazarus has Epilektoi and so on. And, in that respect, the title of Chancellor is senseless if there’s no sense behind using that particular term other than subjective preference, without any respect to the actual meaning of the word.

3 Likes

It was chosen just as an alternative to “Prime Minister”, as a position I associated with leadership, that people generally seemed to like. It could just as easily be “President” or something else.