[2309.AB] Change in the Election of Ministers

A Prime Minister must have sufficient autonomy so that they can apply them policies and effectively put them into practice. We must let they name them Ministers, as they, as the principal, is effectively the Head of Government. The change may seem small, but it will make a huge difference and will give the opportunity for other people to get the positions in the ministries, since it is only up to one person to appoint and remove them. Furthermore, the Prime Minister will be able to govern with people they trusts, which will make them more at ease and comfortable to govern, in addition to streamlining the entire process of appointing ministries.

Charter of the Coalition of the South Pacific

[…]

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

[…]

(3) As leader of the Cabinet, the Prime Minister is responsible for overseeing a collective Cabinet agenda, and may give directions and instructions to the ministers. In addition, the Prime Minister will also be responsible for appointing and dismissing other ministers. Disputes within the Cabinet are subject to the majority decision and collective responsibility; where there is no majority the Prime Minister’s vote shall be the deciding one.

[…]

Elections
(6) Executive elections will be held every four months, where the Prime Minister and all Cabinet positions will be up for election, while all Cabinet positions will be appointed by the Prime Minister.

[…]

XI. RECALLS AND MOTIONS OF NO CONFIDENCE

[…]

(2) A Motion of No Confidence may be initiated by the Assembly if the members have lost faith in the effectiveness and activities of the Prime Minister and the Cabinet. Motions of No Confidence must be debated for three days and receive a motion and a second before being moved to vote. Passage requires three-fifths majority support of those voting., and triggers a special election for all Cabinet offices.

(3) If a Motion of No Confidence is made against a Cabinet member, the Prime Minister is obliged to remove the relevant Cabinet member from their office, and appoint a successor in their place.

(4) If the a Motion of No Confidence is made against the Prime Minister, they and their Cabinet will resign immediately, new elections will be called, and a successor will be elected. After an election has been held, the Prime Minister-elect will assume office.

Amendment to the Elections Act:

Elections Act

[…]

4. Offices of the Cabinet
(1) On the first of every February, June and October, the Assembly will convene to elect the Prime Minister and the Cabinet., who, in turn, will appoint their Cabinet.

1. After the first 4 days of the election period, during which legislators may declare their candidacy and campaign for only one position, and a campaign-only period of two days, where candidates may campaign and the Assembly will debate the merits of their platforms, the Assembly will vote for 3 days.
  2. For each position, The respective winner, as decided using Instant-Runoff Voting, will be declared the Minister-elect Prime Minister-elect by the Election Commissioner.

(2) The terms for the incoming Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers will begin the week after elections. Before this inauguration, any and all election-related disputes must be settled. The outgoing Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers will maintain their offices until then.

While I can see where this is going, and that’s totally fine! I feel that it may be slightly unnecessary noting that the Great Council is nearing conclusion, and that once enacted, it will evolve into an appointment based Cabinet system. So while I feel this is pointing in the right direction, I also feel it may be slightly unnecessary, in my personal opinion.

Thanks!

1 Like

It’s an interesting speech, but anyway, I think it could be done more quickly. I mean, I feel that Prime Ministers are very “imprisoned” and that their autonomy is very restricted. After all, if he is the Head of Government, nothing fairer than appointing the other members of the Executive!

Have you take a look at also amending the Elections Act?

Hey! Are you Virifortis? I’m Lile Ulie Islands! It’s been a while (if you remember me).

Here are two things:

Firstly, in your introductory statement (and in your replies), when describing the Prime Minister, you constantly use the pronoun “he” or “him.” I would just like to point out that in both in the real world and here on NationStates, Prime Ministers or governmental servants in general come from all different backgrounds and have different pronouns. It would seem more logical and respectful to use “they” or “them” pronouns when describing the Prime Minister. Just a suggestion.

How would the Prime Minister elect their Cabinet? Appoint?

I suggest looking over the Elections Act in the Great Council or the KWB Omnibus (which talks about having an appointed Cabinet). They bring up similar things to what you are bringing up here in this amendment.

1 Like

I’ll take a look at that, and if so, I’ll edit the proposal.

1 Like

Sure I remember you! I’m sorry for the pronouns, google translator and everything.
Well, the Prime Minister would bring the name of them cabinet to the person responsible for giving ministers their jobs. And if you wanted to resign, it would be the same thing. They would ask him to dismiss such a minister and bring about a new appointment.

I made some relevant changes. Check it and give your opinions.

It’s an overall good draft, however. I have taken the liberty of making the following changes, to make it more inline with people’s independent pronouns. I have also added some changes, removed certain text that I personally feel may be unnecessary, and corrected some minor punctuation and graphical errors.

[…]

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

[…]

(3) As leader of the Cabinet, the Prime Minister is responsible for overseeing a collective Cabinet agenda, and may give directions and instructions to the ministers. In addition, the Prime Minister will also be responsible for electing appointing and dismissing other ministers. Disputes within the Cabinet are subject to the majority decision and collective responsibility; where there is no majority the Prime Minister’s vote shall be the deciding one.

[…]

Elections

(6) Executive elections will be held every four months, where the Prime Minister and all Cabinet positions will be up for election, while all Cabinet positions will be appointed by the Prime Minister.

[…]

[…]

(2) A Motion of No Confidence may be initiated by the Assembly if the members have lost faith in the effectiveness and activities of the Prime Minister and the Cabinet. Motions of No Confidence must be debated for three days and receive a motion and a second before being moved to vote. Passage requires three-fifths majority support of those voting., and triggers a special election for all Cabinet offices.

(3) If the a Motion of No Confidence is made against a Cabinet member, the Prime Minister is obliged to remove the relevant Cabinet member from their office must remove this member, and appoint a successor in their place. his/her place.

(4) If the a Motion of No Confidence is made against the Prime Minister, they he/she and his/her their entire Cabinet will cease to hold office resign, and new elections will be held. The outgoing Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers will maintain their offices until a new Prime Minister has been elected.

Amendment to the Elections Act:

Elections Act

[…]

4. Offices of the Cabinet

(1) On the first of every February, June and October, the Assembly will convene to elect the Prime Minister and the Cabinet., who, in turn, will appoint their his Cabinet.

1. After the first 4 days of the election period, during which legislators may declare their candidacy and campaign for only one position, and a campaign-only period of two days, where candidates may campaign and the Assembly will debate the merits of their platforms, the Assembly will vote for 3 days.
  2. For each position, The respective winner, as decided using Instant-Runoff Voting, will be declared the Minister-elect newest Prime Minister-elect by the Election Commissioner.

(2) The terms for the incoming Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers will begin the week after elections. Before this inauguration, any and all election-related disputes must be settled. The outgoing Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers will maintain their offices until then.

(3) On the same day that the Prime Minister is declared victorious, they he/she must give an account of his Cabinet to the responsible person. Otherwise, it will be understood as resignation from office.

1 Like

Very good. Should I edit the post with these changes?

It’s up to you, we have my edits in the post above, so you can change your original post with my edits if you feel you want to, I was just suggesting some changes. However, if you feel that there ought to be some changes applied to my thoughts, then go ahead, by all means. :upside_down_face:

Thanks!

1 Like

I’ll edit, I loved your changes, they turned out great!

I am intrigued at the prospect of no executive government in the case of a no confidence motion passing. Perhaps removing the part about the PM/cabinet retaining their office??

Yes, I am also noticing that myself now, I’m trying to think up ways of rewording that specific clause.

Something like this?

[…]

VI. THE EXECUTIVE

[…]

(3) As leader of the Cabinet, the Prime Minister is responsible for overseeing a collective Cabinet agenda, and may give directions and instructions to the ministers. In addition, the Prime Minister will also be responsible for electing appointing and dismissing other ministers. Disputes within the Cabinet are subject to the majority decision and collective responsibility; where there is no majority the Prime Minister’s vote shall be the deciding one.

[…]

Elections

[…]

[…]

(3) If the a Motion of No Confidence is made against a Cabinet member, the Prime Minister is obliged to remove the relevant Cabinet member from their office must remove this member, and appoint a successor in their place. his/her place.

(4) If the a Motion of No Confidence is made against the Prime Minister, new elections will be called, and a successor will be elected, after an election has taken place, the incumbent Prime Minister and their Cabinet will cease to hold their positions, and the Prime Minister-elect will assume office. he/she and his/her their entire Cabinet will cease to hold office resign, and new elections will be held. The outgoing Prime Minister and Cabinet ministers will maintain their offices until a new Prime Minister has been elected.

I understood the idea, but while the new Prime Minister does not take over, will the position really be empty? Since the elections take a while to be finalized, what do you think?

The updated version makes it clearer that the election ending removes the PM from office.

However, I am entertaining the idea that upon the no confidence motion passing the PM chair is vacated. THEN the election will fill it.

A dead time where we have no executive.

1 Like

Do you think this “dead time” would not cause problems?

Probably not. In fact, it might energize people to run since “no one is in charge, ahhh”.

Okay so, if you want it and no one objected, I’ll edit it!