The Zimbron Republic

[Image: Zimbron-Republic-Ultimate-Final.png]
News > Politics > Bailtem > Sallodesia
Exclusive: Insights with President Smith
By Ndebi Dimako, 10th September 2022.

President George Douglas Smith during the exclusive interview. Source: Zimbron Republic.

With all the political developments across Pacifica, it’s easy to lose track of everything. Although many journalist now rush to get out as many stories and articles out, some forget other large events that might go unnoticed. Such as the last days of President Smith’s presidency as the presidential elections approaches. Either by chance or fate, the Zimbron Republic has struck an exclusive interview to converse with the Sallodesian President about his insights, presidency and overall look towards to future of Sallodesia and Pacifica.

Thank you for accepting this interview Mr President. Let’s perhaps start off with something more digestible. What make a Sallodesian a Sallodesian? Especially in the ever changing 21st century?
I didn’t know you’d categorize philosophy as digestible, Mr Dimako. But banter aside, you’re lucky I do in fact enjoy philosophy in my spare time. It’s an interesting question really. Stoinians, Ezervulge, Myrians, Huawanese & Besernians all have a certain ethnic basis to their identity. To a Sallodesian, ethnicity may be a factor, but to a far lesser degree than the worldwide norm. To us ideas, principles & morals are more central to our identity. Go around to schools across the country and you’ll see kids of all colours & creeds play alongside each other. All working together and loving each other as equals. That is the core essence that makes a Sallodesian a Sallodesian. The unconditional love for Mankind.
The diversity Sallodesia enjoys, is a strength not many nations have on their own. For in Sallodesia we are exposed to new perspectives from every race & creed that challenge us to better ourselves. The acceptance of everyone that wishes to enjoy the lifestyle of a Sallodesian dream.
A popular saying to us is “Once you’re Sallodesian, no other land will do!” I believe the original users of the slogan had another meaning in mind, but once you’re bitten by our ideals or land… Well… It just changes your life forever. In short: to be a Sallodesian, is to live up to the optimistic dream where everyone has a place on the road to utopia.

Fascinating indeed. Now let’s move to a more serious matter. Members of the international community often point the cause of political turmoil at one nation specifically: Izaakia. Sallodesia’s fromer mother nation. What are you thoughts on the United States of Izaakia, our relations with them and their role in Pacifica’s geopolitics?
Ah, yes… The age old question ever since the Unilateral Declaration of Independence… Well to my grandfather it was clear. Break all relations we have and chart a solitary path for Sallodesia. However, I think time has healed the wounds that led to such decisions. The fact remains that Sallodesian identity finds its roots in Izaakia. Without Izaakia, we wouldn’t be the same. Well… We’re named after a certain John Edmond Sallow, a staunch Izaakian patriot. This gives Sallodesia a very unique relationship with Izaakia, one most nations couldn’t dream of. History has showed such relations eb & flow according to political gains, but time and time again have both parties showed their interest for cooperation despite past tensions. Sallodesia is part of the Izaakian family which helps to amend relations should they rise. It is a luxury indeed. For had we not have been part of that family, we’d throw each other in the gutter like how Ryccia & Izaakia take every chance to infuriate the other.
As for their place in geopolitics… Well they’re here to stay and nothing will change that. They certainly are a drive, but for better or worse? It’s sometimes hard to tell it apart with them. Though I will say, that they have proven an excellent drive for environmental concerns and connecting the world. Perhaps something that people are all too eager to push aside over their mishappenings. I think we have plenty we can disagree with the Izaakians, but we can agree on plenty as well. Izaakia - in my opinion - is too complex a case to categorize into one type of geopolitical player.

I see. You mentioned how Izaakia played a role for environmentalism, do you think your presidency has had any impact to Pacifica at large?
It’s not secret that my main focus was to strengthen Sallodesia from within first and foremost. However, with the way things have evolved on Pacifica… It was about time we also started to look beyond our borders and especially the Mediterranean. Frankly… I’m a bit surprised at how open the international community was to our collaboration. Our relationship with small island nations, especially Livana, have proven to be a tremendous mutually beneficial boon. Let alone the willingness to collaborate with us militarily. We have agreements with ten nations for overseas military bases to build a vast network to aid in humanitarian efforts like in Romordia. Making our expanding military a respected force that knows how to jointly operate which no doubt will heavily influence the workings of the Concordia Entente.
Sallodesia in a way also silently opened up to the world with its businesses expanding overseas. Yet after President Vimmru’s call for action to stabilize the world, something changed in Sallodesia. Something has awoken. A call to lead a new path and I see Sallodesia taking the leadership in future international projects.

Read also:

• Latest news from inside the World Forum
  • Rycco-Cordilian ceasefire scrapped
  • Pro-democratic pressure group in Viliakmon gains traction
  • The winners of the Keylian BBQ contest

It’s interesting you mentioned Romordia. Many people have ousted Izaakia’s intervention as unwarranted, given it was also pushing for a World Forum peace mission. Do you think anyone in particular lies at fault for the eventual outcome? It lead many experts to believe the World Forum seems like a good idea on paper, but not quite in reality. What are your thoughts on the World Forum?
The turn of events that led to the current state on western Crabry is truly regrettable, but I think it’s more nuanced than the widely accepted perspective. Sallodesia stands with the Romordian people through our humanitarian aid and cooperation with our strategic partners in Kliegme.
As for the World Forum, I agree with Speaker Segărceanu’s statement that the blood of the World Forum is the willpower of its members. It is after all a Forum where ideas and laws have to be brought forth. Something Sallodesia understands with our proposal concerning Orbital Safety. The World Forum has the capabilities to be a true force of betterment for Pacifica. However, we - nations from every corner - should push forward that change and not wait while we bicker for it.

Talks certainly have brought the Sunrise Triad together. What holds the future for the Sunrise Triad and Sallodesia in particular?
The Sunrise Triad has definitely enjoyed a steady place in the past year as CMEC has proven a lucrative deal. I think the Triad will continue to be a shining light of progress, innovation & cooperation for Pacifica to take as an example. No doubt we can see its influences in the League of Cordilia, but I imagine we’ll be able to keep our head start. As for Sallodesia… In my eyes it’s clear that whoever becomes the next Sallodesian President, it will continue its path of international importance. People are beginning to get a taste of our dream. Just like they’re getting a taste for Myrian cuisine.

Speaking of elections, don’t you fear some of the candidates might reverse the recent war declaration?
I don’t think they’d risk Sallodesia’s image to be squandered by withdrawing from the Rycco-Cordillian War. The Joint Chiefs have discussed it thoroughly with my Cabinet and we don’t believe the Ryccian junta will be able to hold out for long anyway. Our sources tell us they’re losing internal support and with the world choosing a stance against them with even a World Forum peace mandate in the talks… I don’t think the junta will survive until the end of the year. However, some candidates might refrain from such overt military actions in the remainder of their presidency.
It should also be said that despite the war declaration, the democratic process should still be respected here in Sallodesia and I have no intention to suspend the presidential elections because of our involvement in the Rycco-Cordilian War.

The military certainly has increased during your administration. What changed your stance? Some critics question the validity of the expansion as we didn’t intervene in the recent Hazelian crisis.
Circumstances like the Hazelian crisis we’d like to prevent with our military. That and to aid humanitarian efforts like in Romordia. As for our non-intervention in Hazelia… It’s a complex matter. Should Snolland have chosen to call for aid, we would have had to answer it. Instead they chose to consider it an internal conflict which we have to respect. Most Sallodesians also have voiced their support for an independent Hazelia throughout the past decade. There wasn’t a one definitive choice which our allies like Stoinia & Sedunn understood. Though Sallodesia is committed to support our historic neighbours and amend relations. A task that will no doubt befall to my successor.

And lastly… What it is your favourite newspaper?
Ahaha… I know which answer you want, but I’m afraid I’m still going to have to go with the Hurdling Kybok. It has held a special place in my heart ever since I read my first political article in it.

2 Likes