Potential Extra-canon A1-0 Roleplay discussion

I have beaten around the bush on the discord for a few days, but I actually want to start a proper discussion about this topic.

The concept is as follows. Sector A1-0 is progressing normally, when a nation or other dangerous entity comes and attacks the entire sector. The various nations of the sector, even with conflicting ideologies, are forced to diplomatically resolve their issues to deal with the common threat.

This scenario would focus mainly on the diplomatic aspect of the nations being forced to work together rather than the military aspect. I donā€™t think this part will need much discussion, since weā€™d be working within the logical framework of the canon.

What I mainly want to talk about is 1: Is there interest in doing this? and 2: What about the nation or thing attacking us? I have a few ideas on that front and will be talking about that first.

1. The threat is a nation
    This has some real advantages. For one, it gives the chance for some nifty lore, producing angst for one or more nations in the sector, (Space Losavra is a choice, even if it is a bit memey.) The other main part: It gives us the chance for a diplomatic end to the conflict. With this, it would allow us to really focus in on the diplomatic aspect of the sector teaming up, since once this nation started feeling fierce resistance itā€™d probably sue for peace rather than continue a deathwar. Disadvantages (if you can call them that) would be that such a nation would require immensely more worldbuilding then the other choices, which could be a lot for a rather contained extra-canon story.

2. The threat is a hive-mind or AI crusade
    This has the benefit of needing much less worldbuilding then the first option. It also would give a different flavor to the roleplay. While a crusading AI or ravaging hivemind could possibly be reasoned with, I imagine itā€™d be much closer to a death war, which would probably up the scale of the threat in an IC context, but could also make the rp more military based. Perhaps you want a more 60/40 experience with diplomacy and combat then a 70/30 or 80/20? Then maybe this option is better.

3. The threat is an interdimensional anomaly
    This has precedent in existing lore and so probably wouldnā€™t require much worldbuilding either. An interdimensional threat most likely could not be reasoned with, although there are chances it could be depending on the situation, so the rp getting too mil. heavy isnā€™t necessarily a threat. There are also the chances that this could be from an existing alternative dimension in the canon, which would not only be interesting but perhaps lead to the nation which uses it being ā€œblamedā€ for the outbreak, which would be an interesting diplomatic situation. It would also allow nations ā€œinsideā€ of the Sector to be attacked randomly, which could force them to join the coalition against the threat sooner- However, one might think that would be stale, to have nations join only after they are attacked without engaging in the diplomatic struggle the other two would have.

As for if thereā€™s interest in the ideaā€¦ I want to know. I will say that such an extra-canon story wouldnā€™t happen soon. I would at least wait until the Tunnel of Contest is finished, and probably some other stories too. So I donā€™t want to know if you guys are interested now, but are interested to do this at some point. Also, feel free to post additional general suggestions of what the threat should/could be.

5 Likes

Check ā€œGrowth-For-Bothā€ on the TSPRP Party discord

Also number 2 was something I was already planning to do later on in the rp

1 Like

I think that the idea is great, I epecially like number 2. But would there be any chance of doing something like this, but canon? I understand why it wouldnā€™t be, just asking.

2 Likes

The idea is great, especially the first one. Iā€™d also rather it be canon, to produce a sort of diplomatic aftermath that could be very interesting to see develop. I see the reason why it wouldnā€™t be canon, but the other option is just very interesting

2 Likes

I find the whole concept very interesting! I always enjoy big-scale roleplays.

While option 3 sounded more interesting to me, I think that in the end I would prefer going for option 2. It would be a more balanced mix of military and diplomacy, making all nations (pacifist or not) able to participate.

3 Likes

The main reasons for this not being canon are that I envisioned this as a ā€œWhat if?ā€ Question. What if the Sector was forced to unite? The 2nd reason is, that in Sector A1-0, roleplays are planned out far into the future. If we were to do such a canon-breaking event canonically, Iā€™d estimate weā€™d be waiting for at least a year until all of these stories unfolded and we could do this without disrupting future stories. The last reason is that such a story would have massive consequences for the future of the sector. If we did this, the nations of the sector would be relatively united. This might prevent any future conflict between states. Alternatively, if we simply go back to the way it was, we imply that all of the diplomacy was, in reality, worthless, and the threat was the reason and not the catalyst.

2 Likes

This isnā€™t similar to any of those events. This is also not really a ā€œgrowth for bothā€ event and more interesting to established roleplayers in A1-0.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree that it shouldnā€™t be canon too. There are simply too much implications, and while my nation would love a unification of that scale, the roleplayer behind it (me ;3) doesnā€™t really want all those chances for conflict to go away.

2 Likes

At the very least, I was planning for mine to be canon. However, it might be best for these events to be extra-canon so we can see how roleplayers react to them

2 Likes

While I believe these ā€˜What if?ā€™ scenarios could be fun, I find them to be a bit too early to introduce in the near future. At least I have some stories planned which I want to prioritise. Other than that, the astropolitical development of the Sector as is going to quite bonkers as well and time-consuming given the limited knowledge I have of othersā€™ RP plans.

2 Likes

Yes. I acknowledged that in my post. This rp wouldnā€™t be happening soon, as I want people to finish their major roleplays before diving into this one. The main purpose of this purpose is to see if thereā€™s an interest in doing it at some point.

2 Likes

Theoretically, how strong would such an event be? Definately over a million ships if it would be an option 1 or 2.

1 Like

I did some calculations on the server under the guise of space Losavra shennanigans, and I calculated about 25 million ships. However, that was a state that wouldnā€™t be willing to lose its entire fleet. If going for option 2 the numbers would probably be much lower.

2 Likes

Hey, A1-0! I wanted to poke this topic to see if thereā€™s still interest and if there was interest in voting on which scenario as outlined in the first post would be used (or if someone would like to suggest another one).

5 Likes

Thereā€™s also stuff in the TSPRP server

4 Likes

I know thereā€™s stuff in the server but the forums are a better place to document information for future reference.

4 Likes

The interdimensional anomaly one gave me a idea. What if the calerostan demons fully returned for a conquest. That would be basically a war of the words scenario. Theyā€™re very technologically superior as mentioned and would pose a massive threat. Eventually we can even have the gods apear to help our side etc.

Thatā€™s a scenario that came to my mind as Iā€™ve been working on calerostan demons for a bit now but Iā€™d be down for any scenario

2 Likes

so uhh

IIRC in War of the Worlds, they die to the flu

and this opens a plot hole we all have beaten around

Pathogens

Not a big issue for the SDR, we are very sterile

but like

someoneā€™s def getting infected from Galaxi Bioengineered Virus No. 445603245923

Someoneā€™s dying from the Stonian Sickness

Sure, medicine has advanced, butā€¦ everybody looks different, immune systems are different. we kinda all die during first contact

2 Likes

*Flashes back to the Great Dying

2 Likes