Light and Darkness

Lord Revan stood at the front of his airship, looking at the horizon. There was nothing but an endless sea of sand and the clear blue sky. It was scorching hot, but the entire ship was cooled by his magic.

He was about 40 years old, with black hair and a short beard. He was around 180 cm tall. His eyes were the color of deep turquise. He wore a black chestplate, trousers and a shirt made out of silk, in the same color. He also had a turquise cape a a rapier in a sheath tied to his belt.

There were already numerous expeditions into the desert, none returning. But they didnā€™t have magic or airships, imported from Rocova. Out there, there was something capable of creating an entire desert and killing over a hundred expeditions. And Revan wanted to find it.

Thatā€™s when he saw it. A river on the horizon. And a settlement next to it.

His airship landed near the outskirts and Revan, tegether with 5 of his knights entered the settlement. Revan walked up to the nearest intelligent creature he could find and, giving barely a quick glance, cast a translation spell and asked it ā€œWhere are we?ā€

(This topic is a rework of a previous rp)

2 Likes

Soltan led a quiet life, as many do in these lands by the river. It had a partner, a small cabin, a plot of framland to live and work on. They were thinking of starting a family soon, but not for now.
It was working in the field that hour of that day, peacfully enjoying its time while its partner was preparing dinner inside. The day was about to pass uneventfully, when suddenly it heard a voice behind them.

-Aah! - Soltan jumped, startled by the sudden interuption. - Oh, you know I saked you not toā€¦ Oh, good day sirā€¦ Why, weā€™re by the river, of course, some while away from the castle, why do you ask? - Its voice was faint and fraidy, understandably. - And, what are you, and where did you come from? Are you from further up the river? From the Capital maybe?

2 Likes

ā€œNo, I come from the Order of Hallmarch. I come looking for several expeditions that were lost in this desert. Now, what are you?ā€ Revan replied. He said the last sentence harshly and with a slight tone of disgust.

2 Likes

-Uhhā€¦ Me? I am one of the Lightfolk, those who live by this River. Butā€¦ where is the ā€œOrder of Hallmarchā€ you speak of? Are there more rivers in the wasteland upon which folk settle? - Its voice was still very unstable, but now with a small spark of curiocity.

2 Likes

ā€œHallmarch lies to the east of this place. It is not a wasteland. Plantas are growing nearly everywhere and it isnā€™t so scorching hot. Who are the Lightfolk? And more importantly, who is your leader?ā€

2 Likes

-Not a wasteland? - Soltan gave a look of deep confusion. - But theā€¦ ah, no matter. The lightfolk are a people, ones like me. Iā€™ve heard there was another kind of people in the past, but they are gone now, I think. As for my leader, why, the Great Light of couse. They control everything by the river, everything and sometimes everyone. Do you not know this? Do you live so far past the horizon that the Lightā€™s magic does not reach you?

1 Like

ā€œIt most ceirtanly does not reach Hallmarch. And Iā€™m happy about it, I wouldnā€™t want to turn into a scorched wasteland like this place. Have you ever heard of our lord and savior, the One?ā€

Revan speculated about their origin. They might have been human once, twisted by magic. Or maybe they had demonic ancestors. Great Light definitaly must be some kind of powerful magical being. But if it was a demon , only time will tell.

In the mean time, he might teach these locals the Way. Maybe there is still hope for them in the afterlife.

1 Like

-The One? Lord? Savior? What do you mean, kind sir? I already know who my overlord is, and Iā€™m not in any trouble Iā€™d need saving from. Please explain. - Soltanā€™s confusion grew even more after hearing Revanā€™s words. It was either a quirk of a foreign culture, or the lord was just crazy.

1 Like

ā€œItā€™s an expression. Iā€™m asking if you know about the One, ā€œlordā€ and ā€œsaviorā€ are titles. But clearly you do not know about him. Just show me the way to the capital. I wish to speak with the Great Light.ā€

1 Like

-Oh, right. Well, the way to the capital is that way. - Soltan poined to a direction along the river. - The path isnā€™t straight, but following the water in that direction will eventually get you there.
But I donā€™t advise you speak with the Great Light directly, that is very dangerous. Not because theyā€™d want to hurt you, but because their mighty magical presence can distort oneā€™s mond and soul beyond recognision. But that wonā€™t be an issue. If you wish to speak to them, Iā€™ll gladly move aside.

Finishing his sentance, Soltan sat down on the sparse grass and closed his eyes. After a few moments like that, he stood up again, but something was off. His posture was perfect, his eyes shone much brigher than before, and he spoke with a completely different voice, one low and stoically calm.

-Ah, so you are lord Revan. You wish to speak to me, yes? You came all the way here from where my influence does not reach just to do conversation. If something is so important to you, what is it?

2 Likes

ā€œI came here to learn about the fate of many Hallmarchian expeditions sent to these lands. But now, yes, I do desire to talk with you. Thatā€™s what we call ā€˜diplomacyā€™.ā€ There was a note of satisfaction and curiosity in his voice.

2 Likes

-Expeditions? I believe I havenā€™t found any explorers in these lands. If they came from the east, they were likely eaten by grookol on their way.

2 Likes

ā€œWhat are grookols?ā€

2 Likes

-They are the terrors that lurk within the sands, larger than any other known monster or beast, their gulping jaws and piercing fangs devour any who come into their teritory. Thay are one of the main reasons why we donā€™t settle eastward of the river. But your flying ship seems unconcerned by them. Lucky you you didnā€™t choose to travel on foot or by mount.
Now, Iā€™d quite like to know about you and your people. We havenā€™t ventured past the desert yet, and we havenā€™t seen any others. So, what is your nation like? What customs or religions do you hold? What is your race? Have you met others?

2 Likes

ā€œAs I described before, Hallmarch is much colder and more humid than this place. It is organized as a holy order, in the name of the One. Of course the people in power are the ones blessed by him, like myself. As to the race, I am human, but there is also another race in Hallmarch, the Demidragons.ā€ Revan said that like it was obvious. ā€œUp north from here there is a nation known as Rocova. They are good traders, with the right amount of money you can acquire goods from all over the world, even those parts of it unknown to you. An they believe in the one true god, although their practises of worship are very different. Now, what can you tell me about your country?ā€

2 Likes

-You are very confident in your belief. Overconfident perhaps. But that is not a problem. As for us, we are the nation known as Terra Luma. We live by this river, taking from it our every resource, except a few rare exceptions. We do have a King, but he mostly serves as a mediator for my guidance. As for our object of worship, you are speaking to them. Not directly, as you know, but remotely. I guide and rule these folk in exchange for a bit of devotion. For our contacts, we havenā€™t met anyone yet.
Now, I see no barriers for us to open international relations, however I may be missing vital knowledge. I am open to diplomatic action, if you so wish. Assuming you are high enough in rankings to represent your people.

2 Likes

ā€œAm I high enough in rankings? I am the second most important person in the Order. But yes, I am open to discusding diplomatic realations, especially trade. What trade goods do you.have to offer?ā€

2 Likes

-Wonderful. We can trade away many different food products that I assume you would consider exotic, fine sturdy metals or tools and weapons made from them, as well as more refined wares, such as magical devices of varying use, from simple household items enchanted with magic of utility, through minor artifacts made to gather ambient magic to empower a mage, to lethal weaponry or even links of soul, if temporary. If you would consider any of these of interest to you or your folk, tell me what you have for us to offer.

2 Likes

ā€œI assume it is challenging to acquire food, wood or otjer animal products in the desert, so we could provide you with that. From rarer resources there is black iron, sturdier than its more common variant, and various dragon-related products.ā€ Revan stopped and thought for a moment. Will this idea work? He decided it would be worthy to try. He formed a pyramid out of his fingers and started speaking again. ā€œWe could offer you these goods at a lower price. All you have to do is to agree to a certain treaty. Nothing major, just allow us to extract sand in our border areas. You donā€™t get much value from these anyways.ā€

2 Likes

-Well, I see nothing wrong with that proposal. Be careful though, as the eastern desert is home to the grookol, so miners and diggers will be in constant danger. The southernmost area is too unsuitable for this kind of extration, as the terrain there is much more rocky and rugged than here. But if you can overcome those challanges, we will gladly trade access to our resources for your wares. The black iron seems rather useful, so does wood. But could you please tell me more about the goods of draconic origin?

2 Likes