Full Reset: A1-0

Hi, A1-0 RPers, I’m Stormfire10, I run the SDR (Scientific Directorate of Rosecrordia) from Plot 33.

I am going to formally put in the possibility of an A1-0 Full Reset due to prevalent RPers leaving, and lack of ongoing RP activity.

What This Would Entail:

• A Full Reset of A1-0

• All Stories, Arcs, et. al, will be Retconned.

• A new Mapping System, rules, guidelines, etc.

Why?

To paraphrase from Mav,

As Maverick (as granted to him by GDPR) has retconned key lore, I suggest we start from scratch, and leave this burning in our wake. Ashes make good fertilizer after all, and if we learn from our mistakes now, we’re less likely to repeat them.

I will open the floor for discussion.

4 Likes

I don’t think that A1-0 is in any state for activity right now. Even the revival effort for Aurora, which was only partially successful, still only had to contend with a lack of roleplayer interest; A1-0 has not only that, but is also currently splintered by a series of interpersonal conflicts between Galaxiel, KingTEM, Mantiss, and others that is still continually worsening. Attempting to redo the canon with its current playerbase so soon after the chain reaction that appeared today would only serve to set the stage for a repeat of this same situation.

Unfortunately, I therefore do not see a path to the revival of A1-0 within the foreseeable future. The needless, extraneous personal attacks against various roleplayers that have been mounted by nearly all parties to the present situation have done a remarkably efficient job of entirely pulverizing the cohesion of the A1-0 community in less than a week, and I don’t think that it will be possible to restore a functional playerbase for A1-0 for at least a year, if ever. I thus propose that the canon be entirely removed from TSPRP for a time not below 18 months, preceded by a 2-month grace period in order to allow roleplayers to record deletion-marked material on the forums and wiki that they wish to preserve.

2 Likes

I agree partially. There will most likely not be an A1-0 to RP in for a month to a year. But if we can lay a strong foundation for a better sector, we can make this turn around better than ever. If we have this discussion play out sooner rather than later, we can get the ball rolling, establishing rules, guidelines, and things everybody will agree on, I think we’ve got a good chance at making A1-0 a thriving story. We can’t mend the current A1-0. It’s gone. It’s like trying to use an AED on a 90 yr old, you can bring them back, but they’ll die again soon.

However, if Mav has taught me one thing, it’s that Slow is Steady and Steady is Fast, so we should take our time.

2 Likes

The issue here is that we can’t start having a discussion in the first place, especially when roleplayers won’t talk to each other at all. Even beyond that, a discussion about the nature of A1-0 (particularly the numbers scaling) was what started this in the first place; I don’t believe that anything productive will be extracted from a rules discussion that will inevitably debate not only those same topics, but nearly everything else about the canon. I don’t want to sound like an overly pessimistic defeatist here, but you can’t start rebuilding a structure while the fire that burned down the old one is still active. Any effective action to fix A1-0 will require reconciling at least a few of its current roleplayers as a necessary precondition; I just don’t think that doing so is likely to be possible so soon after the precipitating arguments, if it ever will be.

4 Likes

I’m generally in agreement with Robby here. There’s clearly still a lot of emotions about the canon; I can tell and I haven’t been on the discord for a while. I think wanting to start from scratch is ultimately the course of action here, but I think it may be too soon for us to have a level-headed community-wide discussion about the canon.

4 Likes

I only started to get active agin a few months ago, this has hit me like a wet blanket. I honestly don’t know how to react.

1 Like

I’ve been active in a myriad of communities and roleplays throughout my years on NS, and I’ve seen this type of situation go down a number of times. Someone doesn’t like the direction the RP is going, and instead of trying to convince the community to rollback the changes and that it’s a bad idea, they make a big vent/whining thread about how the RP is “dead” and “ruined.” Then, a few big players in the RP leave. Sometimes they come back, other times they don’t. Usually, after a month or so the discourse dies down and things return to the way they were with a slightly different group of RPers.

I do agree that the power creep in A1-0 was a bit bad, but there is no need to erase everything and start from scratch. Change in the way the RP works is bound to happen as the RP grows and the people who spearhead change are different. I believe Mav was incredibly foolish to believe that the sector would stay the same after a plethora of new people got engaged in it and the old guard slowly faded away—after all, culture is dynamic.

But no matter what people feel, this is not a discussion we need to be having right now. This isn’t a discussion we should be having at all in general, really. Disputes are bound to occur when you put a large group of people together for a prolonged period of time and if our reaction to that is to burn everything down and start from square one then the RP will never be able to survive. This is simply a natural course of RP development and eventually everything will be back to normal again. We just have to be patient.

Of course, if we are three or six months down the line and there is no activity + we feel like changes must happen, then they would be more warranted. But not now, and not in the near future.

4 Likes

I tried, but a certain someone’s precious ego couldn’t survive being thrown out of his power fantasy. You got to realize here doge that pretty much half of the canons lore has been permanently retconned, which means EVERYONE’s lore is messed up in some way.

Mav wasn’t foolish, he simply thought that everyone would at least make the attempt to respect the canon he had built and try and fit into that canon in a meaningful way. Instead, someone used the canon to make their own power fantasy and basically bullied Mav into accepting their demands. It wasn’t until I finally brought up how unneeded the map rescale was that everything went to shit. Galaxiel was both exposed framing Mav and was yelled at for power creeping badly, while Mav felt like the canon was becoming uncollaborative, power creepish, and extremely pushy with Consent Rules.

This is a discussion we need to have now, this sector needs a restart with proper rules against Power Creeping, keeping the Plot and Population sizes at sane levels, and settling on a proper, yet still familiar naming system(like the one already on the Wiki). If you don’t wanna make a whole new nation, you don’t need to, you can keep it how it is, it’s just that the canon is gonna be refreshed/rebooted with new lore to fill in gaps left by Mav’s departure and entirely new lore.

1 Like

Well first of all, damn this all went down fast. But i can not say that I didn’t see that it would eventually come to this. There’s been strife between newer members, especially me and galaxiel, and mav from the beginning. Combined with the recent lack of activity and the canon literally being split into two factions over the map update, this ending was obvious.

My opinion is that we should let A1-0 rest for a while, but there’s no bouncing back from this. So much lore would need to be rewritten that it’s better to start completely over in two or so months.

2 Likes

Cool down. Now is not the time for agitated shouting matches. We all have blood on our hands, we already accepted that. No use in just blaming each other, either by you, me, Galaxiel, TEM or anyone. We now need to figure out what next, and i think the best way to do that is let A1-0 rest and maby agree on a date to discuss what to do again.

1 Like

Wtf. Just wtf. A few important people had an argument, got angry and left. Ok, shit happens. But this isn’t a reason to restart the whole canon. If you feel like you need a month or two to cool of, then take them. But don’t destroy the whole place. There were some issues with powercreep, yes, but instead of talking it out like civilized people, you just created a whole load of unnecessary drama.

I loved A1-0. It was the first place where I didn’t need to keep my imagination bottled up and instead let it grow and develop. There surely must be a better way to deal with this then destroying everything. I put too much work into my worldbuilding and RP to just silently watch when everything crumbles, like I did in the past. I tried to stay out of drama and follow community guidlines. If some of you need more then that, we can set up proper rules to prevent sotuations like these from happening in the future.

Maybe the quality of RP lowered (but I highly doubt it). Maybe the power level was higher then in the beggining. Maybe it is “Maverick’s Cannon”, but he sure didn’t make it feel that it was. His lore wasn’t in any way connected to mine. His overrated RPs were buried 2 minutes of scrolling down. Don’t get me wrong, they were good, but I don’t think they deserve the legendary status the community gave them. The only time he showed up on discord was to argue with Galaxiel about IRL political views.

With that I conclude my rant, thrown together in the wake of anger, confusion and lack of sleep. I hope yall maintain a sense of reason and realise a complete reset is a last resort not a necessity.

5 Likes

Detroix trust me I’d love to continue in A1-0, i have invested a lot into it, basically all my worldbuilding and writing in the last year has been done here. I get what you feel, like your loved work is being thrown away and you have no say in it.

The situation is as dire as it is because of how massive mav’s worldbuilding is. All the NPNs, the Tiyanki territories, the dating system, etc etc. this must be addressed and a rewrite of massive amounts of lore is required. Most of us will carry over our worldbuilding into whatever A1-0 becomes and adapt it to it. We’re not replacing A1-0 with a new sci fi canon but patching up the massive holes made by all of mav’s worldbuilding being removed and using the chance to also fix and discuss the issues that lead to it.

The end product will be a fixed A1-0 that will be better for everyone

2 Likes

If we have anything to take positive from all this, is that now we can make the canon more decentralized to avoid this happening again

1 Like

This is a topic that I was hoping to find a reason to discuss. The primary reason that Maverick was able to cause so much damage with his retcons was because he had control over nearly all of the “shared” lore in A1-0: Tarassian, Zelvan, all of the Tiyanki nations, all of it. The canon’s entire dating system was even built around one of his nation’s roleplays, which caused issues even before now. His guide and the rules contained in it were treated the same as hard rules imposed and enforced directly by the actual roleplay moderators, of which Maverick was not one.

While I do not have any personal grudges against Maverick, this retcon sweep is a clear demonstration of the dangers of allowing any single roleplayer to become so central to a canon. Maverick and Stoinia should never have been allowed to become even half as foundational as they were until now. Any revision of A1-0 needs to draw up strict rules against basing core aspects of the canon on a single roleplayer that can leave with all of their lore at any time. Therefore, I make the following suggestions:

• NPNs are clearly a point of vulnerability and require the most protection. The fact that Maverick was able to claim IP rights over A1-0’s supposedly shared NPNs was absolutely ridiculous, and further such events need to be prevented through the strongest possible measures: I propose that all material pertaining to nations offered as new NPNs be placed under either the public domain or a CC BY-NC-SA license by their creators as a mandatory precondition of acceptance into canon as Non-Player Nations.

• Important aspects of canons, like their dating systems, should be comprehensively barred from being based on roleplays or roleplay nations other than NPNs that have been protected by the above proposal, and should also be protected from unilateral retcon by the same proposal.

• Canon guides presented as official by means such as pinning by moderators should be mandatorily split between multiple writers in order to prevent a single individual from unilaterally withdrawing the entire guide.

5 Likes

What? Me and you? When?

The only strife we truly had was for real life stuff, not A1-0.

1 Like

Yes, sounds like a good idea. The problems of such centralisation had already become somewhat visible earlier in time.

1 Like

Fully agree with you here, was going to talk about this next

Just saying that no one should blame each other each one of us had a part in the whole of this. We achieve nothing by arguing

I also see the need for stronger moderation, leaving the canon to self moderation is what lead to this situation in the first place

I’m not going to contribute much here because:
-My activity heavily fluctuates. Iv only been really active in the last few months. I honestly don’t have a good understanding of things because of this.
-I’m not involved in drama, and do not want to be.
-I two will be disappearing: in (about) 12 months if things go to plan.

2 Likes