Formal discussion about Aurora magic system and potential Great Magic User (GMU) system

It’s necromancy time

1. My suggestion for the what the max number of GMU/GMB/whatever raid boss characters should be is 5. This allows for nations to be able to choose between having all GMBs (dragons, krakens, etc.) if the nation is less magical, all GMUs if it’s very high-magic usage, or a decent amount of both for a balanced nation.
  2. Still need a list of impossible effects. Long-time travel (time traveling more than a day or so into the past, or maybe just all time travel if the previous option isn’t workable) and most planar travel (would need a “list of other planes” or something) are my suggestions, but there may be more needed.
1 Like

The problem I’ve seen happen is that we just keep listing ideas, but nothing really comes from it : /
We need to start an actual discussion

I’m fine with it as long as necromancy is covered, as in actual resurrection.
Not a power to cause an illusion of ghosts, but actual resurrection.

Necromancy 2.

Where this topic left off, here were the main talking points.

Dissalowed: (by Robby)

Allowed, also by Robby

A sorcery scale to classify the power of spells (By Legend)

Basic types of magic: (Robby)

WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE

Debate and discuss how spells should be classified as regular vs. GMU/GMB status

Formally decide what the maximum allowance of GMUs is (Robby suggested 5; I agree with this number or a lower one.)

Decide whether “gods” exist in physical forms, and how this impacts the GMU/GMB system

Decide on what should be allowed or not allowed in the magic system

Decide how artifacts that grant someone GMU powers affect the GMU system

How the GMU/GMB system will be enforced

2 Likes

What’s the status on control magic? Like mind control or something akin to Avatar’s blood bending, or what dnd calls enchantment magic? Is it banned, only allowed for GMU’s/GMB’S, or something else? I wanna know since I envisioned it as a big part of my nation, and having it banned would make me have to rework a lot of stuff

Firstly, Here are my thoughts;

Dissalowed entirely; I agree with Robby’s post. I would like to throw long, accurate predictions of the future into the mix (As in, predictions of the future, far into the future, that can tell one exact events; I.E, the exact location and composition of an army in a campaign 2 months from now) I think that predictions should be vague, if they happen at all, and not be able to tell both what happens and who is involved (I.E; using the previous example, The predictions i’d be fine with are “General X will participate in a great task” and “In the Example Plains, a great battle will occur”

Allowed definitely; agree with Robby.
I’d like to throw in teleportation up to 5 miles for non GMUs, and up to 50 miles for GMUs (enough to teleport between close towns)

As for @MilaFredka’s question, we have not defined those, but I propose: Control of up to 5 people by non GMUs and up to 100 by GMUs (A big discrepancy, but this would allow a GMU to directly control a small army)

2 Likes

The whole point of the sorcery scale was to add power levels to magic. So, there cluld be weaker control magics, but stronger people can use stro ger ones. In some ways, contol magic could be considered similar to necromancy as well

Looks like this got resurrected, so here’s more of my thoughts:

I would personally allow deities to show up in person, at least occasionally; if used sparingly, they’d be more of a plot device for a story instead of a game-breaking character. Additionally, I would recommend against having them burn a GMU slot unless they appear frequently enough for them to effectively be always active (rather than being mostly absent except for a few scenes).

While I do recognize the need to cover this at some point, this will require more work than may be apparent at first. For example: an artifact that gives a character GMU-tier magic powers all on its own is clearly a slot burner, but what about 2 magic items whose effects combine to reach that power tier? Or five, or twenty? There’s a lot of conceivable ways to wear and use a huge number of even just magic apparel pieces at once, so where should the limit between slot burner and no slot burner be?

1 Like

Under those rules, would a Hivemind or semi-hivemind be possible?

I think it would be silly to ban magic hiveminds

Trying to revive this again, I think hiveminds are a sort of edge case. I personally think they’re fine, but it’s kind of hard to define them if we consider them mind control. My suggestions on the topic would be to either A: make a separate distinction for them, or, B, say that they’re fine, but we need to rethink what “mind control” is. For instance, even if a hive mind is an entire nation, it shouldn’t just be able to convert an entire town in an instant.

1 Like

I think part of the problem is that we’re trying to do a soft magic system. It’s just very hard to make guidelines that would cover everthing, unless we’re very general in a lot of points. Not to say we should write a hard sytem though. While it would be easier, it would vastly limit potential

1 Like