Chancellor Müller's state visit to Thalapadis

Watching ancient tragedies being performed inside of an ancient amphitheatre was perhaps something Chancellor Müller did not expect, nor that it’s something he’d complain to.

“I see that you’re nation maintains it’s culture and history delicately. So much so that you’re performing tragedies in an ancient amphitheatre.” Müller complemented

“I look forward to seeing the performance, Mr. Antonides. Well, then, I’ll let you guide us to our seats.” He said.

1 Like

Antonides nods. He takes Müller to the best seat in the amphitheater and they sit down.

As they sit a great mass of people go on stage.
“The chorus” said Antonides. “Take this, it’s a translation of the tragedy, as it’s sung in ancient agean, it will come in handy to you”

Suddenly a strong male voice penetrates the silence

“τραγούδησε μου, σε ικετεύω θεά, τραγούδησε μου τη μοίρα του βασιλιά Οτρέα, γιου του Αρκά, τελευταίου από τους βασιλείς της Ασημιπόλεως”

Translation: sing to me, i beg you godess, sing to me of the fate of king Otreus, son of Arcas, last of the kings of Asimipoli

“The invocation,” said Antonides, “calling on a muse to tell the story. It’s a essential in ancient thalapadian literature”

c2146c306e35163afbe01efb09c2bdea

1 Like

Müller sat down and watches the performance while reading through the translations. The empty amphitheater feels rather calming, contrasted by the tragedy being played at the stage.

“What is the tragedy abou?” asks Müller to President Antonides

2 Likes

“it’s about the tragic fate of the last king of Asimipoli. He becomes fully blinded by his lust for power thanks to his advisors, which leads to him going to war with the king of Notilamini. His son tried to stop him, saying what he’s doing is wrong against both the gods and himself, but he put him in the dungeon. His armies are defeated, and a assasin kills his wife in front of him. He goes to his son, the only family that he had left, to beg for forgiveness but finds he died in the dungeon. He blinds himself using his son’s dagger, curses the position saying: “May whom sits on this throne be cursed, him and his family, to be slayed unceremoniously and throw into a ditch” and throws himself off a cliff, ending the monarchy of Asimipoli.”

2 Likes

“That is quite dark…” the Chancellor replied, “And what happened afterwards? Did Asimopoli collapse following the end of the monarchy? Was it absorbed into Notilamini or remained independent?”

As the performance continues, the Chancellor splits his concentration on the play at stage and the sheets of translations on his hands. Their plays, however, was enough to convey what was being said, despite little understanding of Ancient Aegean.

2 Likes

“All ancient thalapadian tragedies are dark, that’s how they got their name. After the end of the monarchy Asimipoli became a republic. Historians argue about how real the story actually is. We know that the war with Notilamini is real. Some say that the King did kill himself after his armies being defeated but that the story was greatly exaggerated for dramatic effect. Some other ones belive that the whole story is fictional, being created as a discouragement for anyone wanting to re establish a monarchy and a warning to those lusting for power, and that a revolt by the city folk ended the monarchy. I’m in the first camp.”

2 Likes

“I see…” says Müller as he continues to watch the tragedy being played.

“It’s great to see that Thalapadis keeps ancient traditions like these alive as these sorts of traditions are priceless pieces of a nation’s arts and history. Well, that’s just in my opinion at least.” Müller adds as he continues to watch the live performance, balancing between the play on the stage and the sheets of translations in his hand.

2 Likes

“Indeed they are priceless. Sadly a lot of them have been lost under the Ryccian monarchy. Only about 10% of them have survived, the rest are lost to the sands of time. hopefully we will recover some more eventually.”

Slowly the tragedy is approaching it’s end, as it has reached the climax

2 Likes

“I’m glad we both agree on that front.”

As the tragedy reached its climax, Müller could not get his eyes off the play on stage.

“Speaking of which, I assume once the play is over you still have more in store for me?”

2 Likes

“I wouldn’t be a good host if i didn’t have” said Antonides with a big smile. “The play concludes our trip trough old Asimipoli tho. After this you will have a chance to rest, and then we will finish it for the day with a visit to Asimipoli subnautics, the manufacturer of Thalapadis’es submarines, to give you a chance to see our new developments in the field, including the phantom of the cordillian sea

The phantom of the cordillian sea is the name given to a mysterious submarine observed in the region by multiple satelite and areal photos. Researchers couldn’t match it with any known submarine curently in service, so they assumed it was classified new tech. That didn’t stop conspiracy theorists tho to create many wild theories about it and it’s origin.

2 Likes

“I have heard of this phantom of the Cordilian sea, though it is mostly from conspiracy theorists with questionable backgrounds and untrustworthy sources, so I wouldn’t say I know much about it. So, the rumors were true, the submarine is Thalapadian?” asks Chancellor Müller to President Antonides.

“I’d say I’m quite impressed, for Thalapadis to be able to keep the submarine a secret for that long is quite an impressive feat in of itself. And for so many conspiracy theories to pop up trying to explain what it was, from it being Van Mathis’ escape boat to it being a creature of Aegean mythological origins, both of which sounds fairly ridiculous in my personal opinion.”

2 Likes

“Keeping the submarine seacret was a real marvel indeed. There was a lot of mess after that one picture got published. The conspiracy theorists had gone crazy. I found it quite amusing, but they got one thing right: there’s more than one phantom. There’s 2 different ones, but we’ll talk about that when we go to the base.”

2 Likes

“Well, I’m glad and honored that you have such high trust in me and my nation, to the point that you are more than comfortable with showing us these new secret submarines of yours.” Chancellor Müller says with a smile to President Valentinos Antonides.

“Well, then, I look forward to seeing what more you have in store.”

2 Likes

Antonides smiles back and nods his head

The tragedy soon finishes, and Antonides and Müller leave the amphitheater. After saying goodbye to each other for now Antonides goes to attend a important session of congress while Müller is taken to Hotel Cordillia, a luxurious hotel close to the palace of congress, known as “the diplomat’s hotel” as the thalapadian government most often houses visiting diplomats in it.

Antonides made sure that the presidential suite is fitted to Müller’s taste and equiped with a large variety of books and other nick nacks that he might enjoy.

Müller is informed that at 6pm the presidential car and Antonides will be waiting for him infront of the hotel

2 Likes

Müller looks around at the luxurious suite that was prepared for him. Grabbing a book from the shelf, he read as he assessed the visit so far.

Mr. Antonides is a warm and respectable man. I feel very much welcomed in this archipelago nation. Its unfortunate what had happened during the war, but I see now why people supports him. Müller thought as he reads through several books to pass the time.

Time passed, and Müller finished his books to look at the time. 15 minutes before 6pm.

He readies himself up, fixing his suit, tie and hair, and leaves the hotel at around 6pm. There, the presidential car and president Antonides awaits him.

“I see I’m not late for the ride, Mr. President?” Müller jokes as he approaches the car.

2 Likes

“As precise as possible Müller, you need to tell me where you got your watch!” Said Antonides and laughed.
“I hope everything in the suite is to your liking, i picked the books myself.” Antonides turns to the driver: “Alexander, you know the way. Take us to the east coast site”

The east coast submarine development site is the main base of Asimipoli subnautics. All of Thalapadis’es subs ware developed there under high secrecy, Müller will be the first non military and non worker to visit the site

2 Likes

While on their way to the east coast, Müller decided to engage in a bit of small talk with the President.

“You know, Mr. Antonides, I saw you once on TV when I was younger. I was 6 years old at the time, playing with my twin sister. My parents were watching the news, something about an armed revolution against the monarchy in Thalapadis at the time. I didn’t know much of what was going on, but one thing I did saw was a man leading sailors against the rulers. Does that happen to ring any bell?” Müller jokes.

“I never would’ve thought the someone I saw on TV, rallying sailors to fight, would be someone who I would shake hands with. So when I found out, it was quite a welcomed surprise.”

2 Likes

“It indeed does friend, you’re taking me waaay back” said Antonides with a smile, “30 years, isn’t it?. That’s the very start of the revolution. There ware riots everywhere, including Artalos, a small port town not too far from Hermekion, it is the place where i was born. High command ordered my father to make the sailors shoot at the rioters, his townmates, which he refused, and the bastards killed him for it. They ehot him trough the head in front of my very own two f*****g eyes.” A tear is visible in Antonides’s eye, but he doesn’t let it fall out. “The image is still stuck in my head, it haunts me. I yelled at the sailors, asking them is this how they want to be treated, is this how they want to end their lives like, and called for a rebellion. The soliders ware with me. One man recorded me speaking. Before i knew i was the face of the revolution, and all i did was call for change.”

2 Likes

“That’s… really rough. I’m sorry for what happened.” Says Müller, “I could have never imagined witnessing such a horrible thing happen, let alone with my own two eyes. Makes me grateful that both my parents are still with me.” Müller adds.

“But, what you did after was inspiring. While I consider myself a monarchist, what the Shataran monarchy did to your country was terrible and unforgiveable, and their overthrowing was bittersweet in a way. I would probably never have the courage you had during those dark times.”

2 Likes

“Thanks, i appreciate it. During those times i seamed like a strong, confident man on the outside, but on the inside i was shaking. I was constantly reconsidering my decisions, contemplating should i continue, but the memory of my father kept me going. Soon Constantine Androu became the leader of the revolution, removing some of the pressure from me, tho i was still one of the loudest voices. And soon after that i met Selene, my now wife, who was my light when it seamed that all others have faded. I think that not wanting to leave her crying for me got me out of more battles than any armor or weapon. And the year the war ended, she rewarded me with a daughter. I think you’ve heard of Athena?”

2 Likes