Tilling With Spears; Trianarö-Tusadu First Contact

32nd of Fafasatö, 2 BBT
Unknown Space
High Captain Sythrago Xcalem

HC Xcalem, a Sycriûn High Captain in the Trianarö Space Force watched, almost bored, as he overlooked the state of the fleet he had with him. He was captaining a 25 kilometer long Flagship, along with a fleet of around 30 corvettes, 100 frigates and 25 destroyers. Not a large force by any means, but, hopefully, he thought, enough for self defense.

The new Imperö had ordered a probe to the north. To the south of Trianar lied the Southern Red Nebula, which was still being colonized in the wake of the Southern War. To the east was recently annexed Mekagrûl, which needed to be built up as the Intek Azzum’s projects with the native Mekagrani finally sticking. To the west lied a large string of systems with little to mine. That left the north; unexplored and worth exploring.

His fleet traveled because of not implausible (if scarce) data ranging from a few hundred years ago showing signs of interstellar activity to the north. Penma wisely didn’t want to start colonizing immediately, but sought to meet any civilization there to avoid unnecessary conflict; or get a head start on a crusade, if it came to that.

Still, so far, the mission had borne no fruit. data on a few promising uninhabited systems had been sent back, but nothing more. The captain, however, stayed vigilant in his boredom. Those who fell into complacency were those likely to be the most surprised…

4 Likes

system

glossary

TAF - Tusadu Air Force, operates all air and space operations in Tusadu.

SPADES - A scale from 1 to 15 where 1 is safe and no risk for damage and 15 is full combat. Each ship has a different value. SPADES values of more than 10 usually indicate ongoing or imminent combat, and values of more than 5 usually indicate high tensions.

TEXSAD - Texas Space Defense. Operates radars and issues deployment orders for Texas, the National District, Kadiri, and Peninsula.

SACDEF - Sacramento Defense Command. Operates radars and issues deployment orders for California, Kalmykia, and Shrimpia.

System GC.3A-33.2
Ashley District, Hartmond Territory, Texas, Tusadu

Jon watched from his quarters as the planet below him turned dark. He hated being trapped there, but it was better than being stuck dealing with terrorists in Austin or criminals in the frontier. Really, he got the perfect job: it’s too remote to be a major target by rebel groups, but it’s too populated to be a preferred system for criminal organizations. He was put there due to increased suspicion of terrorist cell activity in the area due to previous attempts to limit food supply in the core worlds, but he strongly doubted this low production system of 50 million people would be the target of anything.

Of course, it was. After thinking that, he got a message from the primary officer on the bridge of the ship that he needed to “see something”. Of course he did. He left the tranquility of his quarters for the empty hallway. Wait, empty hallway? There must be something going on. He walked down the hallway to the bridge–conveniently close to his quarters–and then saw pandemonium. When he entered the bridge, he saw the bridge staff running around and panicking due to… nothing? Something?

He cleared his throat and spoke up. “Uh, what’s going on here?” Suddenly the entire bridge froze. Everyone returned back to their normal positions and allowed him to walk to the window at the front of the bridge. “So, uh, what am I supposed to see? I don’t see anything except the planets and the star.”

His primary officer spoke up. “Sir… look at the radar.”

Jon walked towards the radar screen. As he walked closer, he noticed it was beeping. That was when he saw it–a huge mass of unknown ships. At least 150, by his count. The nearest fleet was a few systems over, criminal fleets usually only had about 5 or 10 small ships, and caravans weren’t as close together… so that left only one thing. The thing that they were training him for, despite his belief that it was completely pointless because he believed that there couldn’t have been anything else out there. After all, they’d been looking for centuries. Surely they would have found more by now, right?

“Uh… alright. I need someone to call TAF Dallas and let them know that we need a fleet here yesterday for a potential first contact. Let’s raise to SPADES IV and let the police on the ground know that they need to get ready, just in case. Also, it might be prudent to notify TEXSAD and SACDEF that we are possibly engaging in first contact. Let’s get this show on the road.”

broadcast in English
UNIDENTIFIED VESSELS. . .THIS IS ASSISTANT SHERIFF JON WILKINS OF THE ASHLEY DISTRICT SHERIFF’S DEPARTMENT. . .PLEASE BROADCAST VESSEL IDENTIFICATION NUMBERS OVER TUSADU STANDARD FREQUENCY OR OVER RECEIVING FREQUENCY IF STANDARD RADAR UNAVAILABLE. . .PLEASE ACKNOWLEDGE RECEIPT. THANK YOU

5 Likes

“Gods save us.” HC Xcalem said, his computer giving him a message.*Kashmako, we received a transmission. Is it in a language within Trianarö records?
*kashmako- from Indavral Kassma (computer) and the suffix -ko (suffix demarcating an individual who does somthing; like -er in English). Means essentially “one who operates computers.”

The Kashmako, a Kanareö female (in a suit providing her water to breathe, like essentially all active-duty Kanareö) spoke. "It’s in English, an old Earth-human language. We thought it lost, but we re-translated it during the… Zeltrex ‘incedent.’ "

HC Xalem sighed. They didn’t have to translate anything, at least. “What does it say?”

She relayed the message to him.

“Vessel Identification Numbers? Strange. Not really relevant to a foreign force. Relay this message back to them.”

JON WILKINS OF THE ASHLEY DISTRICT SHERIFF'S DEPARTMENT. THIS IS HIGH CAPTAIN SYTHRAGO XCALEM OF THE TRIANARÖ SPACE FORCE, THE SPACEBORNE MILITARY BRANCH OF THE HOLY IMPERIUM OF TRIANAR. THIS GROUP OF SHIPS WAS ON A SCOUTING MISSION BY THE IMPERÖ'S ORDERS. AS WE ARE A FOREIGN FORCE, WE DO NOT SEE OUR NUMBERS AS BEING RELEVANT FOR OUR PURPOSES.

6 Likes

On the bright side, the country’s scientists wouldn’t have to spend valuable time debating whether or not there really was much else out there. On the other side… aliens. Aliens in close contact to him, Jon, for the first time. He was really in it deep now.

“Uh, alright, looks like this is first contact after all. Can we go into lockdown? All non-essential personnel on all ships confined to quarters until further notice. I’d like to keep the spread of rumors down until we have all the details. Um… also we need to notify everyone that this is a first contact situation and that we’re running the Jackson Protocol. Let’s do this shit, right?” Jon ran through the orders one more time in his mind after saying everything. Was he forgetting anything… no. At least, not that he knew of. Time to make the donuts.

I SEE. I WAS REFERRING TO OUR DOMESTIC SHIP NUMBERING SYSTEM, BUT AS YOU AREN’T FROM AROUND THESE PARTS, THAT WOULDN’T APPLY TO YOU. YOU HAVE ENTERED THE TERRITORY OF THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, A CONSTITUENT REPUBLIC OF THE TUSADU CONFEDERACY. WE’RE SENDING ALONG A MAP OF THE WHOLE CONFEDERACY WITH THIS MESSAGE. HOPEFULLY, IN RETURN, YOU COULD TELL US MORE ABOUT THIS TRIANAR PLACE YOU COME FROM? WE’RE ALWAYS LOOKING FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT THE SPACE AROUND US, BUT UNFORTUNATELY IN RECENT YEARS WE HAVE BEEN PREOCCUPIED WITH OTHER THINGS AND HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO EXPLORE.

5 Likes

A holomap of the data came up. “I see. Looks like they’re right on our border. Most of the planets we surveyed are within these coordinates as well.” The captain sighed. “I’d hedge my bets on a crusade as well. We need to inform the Imperö that northward expansion may reach some… roadblocks.

The Trianarö flagship sent back coordinates demarcating the borders of Trianarö space.

4 Likes

Jon watched as the screen in front of him highlighted where the borders of this alien state were. They hadn’t surveyed very much of the inside of the nation. “Well… hmm. I think we can call off the fleet coming to this system, although it would be nice if they remained in a nearby system just in case.”

THANK YOU. IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE YOU WOULD LIKE TO DISCUSS WHILE THE CHANNEL IS OPEN?

3 Likes

HC Xcalem thought for a moment. He spoke with his subordinates. “It would be a good idea to get an idea of how this nation operates, seeing as they border us. I suppose setting up some diplomatic channels would be a good idea as well.”

YES. WE FEEL IT WOULD BE USEFUL TO EXCHANGE BASIC INFORMATION REGARDING OUR RESPECTIVE STATES, SO THAT WE WOULD KNOW WHO TO CONTACT IN CASE OF ANY FURTHER INCIDENTS OR ACCIDENTS.

4 Likes

Jon contemplated how to explain the nation’s very… colorful history to these aliens. Eventually, he decided on just a brief overview of the nation and its people.

the lowercase version (readable unlike below)

I suppose I will go first, then. Tusadu is a nation a few hundred years old, primarily consisting of humans and a second alien species you likely won’t meet unless you go deep into the nation. As for subdivisions, the nation is divided into seven republics which operate autonomously, with only a moderate amount of power provided to the primary government. You are currently located in the Republic of Texas, the oldest and most populous of the republics. The rest of the republics are, from west to east, Peninsula, Kadiri, California, Kalmykia, and Shrimpia.

I’m currently sending you a communication line for direct communication to the central government for discussion with someone who can actually make decisions for the nation. If there were to be any other incidents, this line of communication is the best way to clear everything up.

I SUPPOSE I WILL GO FIRST, THEN. TUSADU IS A NATION A FEW HUNDRED YEARS OLD, PRIMARILY CONSISTING OF HUMANS AND A SECOND ALIEN SPECIES YOU LIKELY WON’T MEET UNLESS YOU GO DEEP INTO THE NATION. AS FOR SUBDIVISIONS, THE NATION IS DIVIDED INTO SEVEN REPUBLICS WHICH OPERATE AUTONOMOUSLY, WITH ONLY A MODERATE AMOUNT OF POWER PROVIDED TO THE PRIMARY GOVERNMENT. YOU ARE CURRENTLY LOCATED IN THE REPUBLIC OF TEXAS, THE OLDEST AND MOST POPULOUS OF THE REPUBLICS. THE REST OF THE REPUBLICS ARE, FROM WEST TO EAST, PENINSULA, KADIRI, CALIFORNIA, KALMYKIA, AND SHRIMPIA.

I’M CURRENTLY SENDING YOU A COMMUNICATION LINE FOR DIRECT COMMUNICATION TO THE CENTRAL GOVERNMENT FOR DISCUSSION WITH SOMEONE WHO CAN ACTUALLY MAKE DECISIONS FOR THE NATION. IF THERE WERE TO BE ANY OTHER INCIDENTS, THIS LINE OF COMMUNICATION IS THE BEST WAY TO CLEAR EVERYTHING UP.

3 Likes