Taping Up Holes

This is intended as a temporary solution while we work out the long-term effects of Mav’s and Galaxiel’s departure. It is, like the title says, “taping up holes.”

Collaborative Nations/NPNs
I suggest we do away with open collabs and instead opt to grant people closed collaborative nations (e.g. you must ask to participate) if there’s a good reason (preserving history, etc). Although, for now, we can just get rid of the current collabs we have.

Tiyanki Territories
I suggest we remove the NPNs in the TT and instead make it consist of a bunch of little plots and make it kind of a mini-A1-0, where even if someone has a larger plot they can still claim one in the TT. Of course, there should be some rules like limits on what species you can use (no humans) but we can discuss that all at a later date.

Sector Lore with Stoinia
I feel like everyone has kind of overblown how much Stoinia mattered to the entire sector. By this, I mean through overarching communal lore, not lore of individual nations. The lore of individual nations needs to be handled by the owners of the nations, just as it would if anyone else had dropped out. Really the only people I forsee being extremely impacted by Mav’s departure lore-wise would be Frost (obviously) and TEM (to a lesser degree, I don’t know the true extent of Mav and TEM’s relationship IRP).

BBT/ABT
We don’t have to do away with this (Mav doesn’t have a monopoly on letters), but since this is a purely OOC way of timekeeping we can really make this whatever we want. Potential epochs could include the creation of A1-0 (the canon), the founding of the Coalition, or the creation of NS. We don’t need to get too hung up on this, and in the end we could always just change the letters to something random (like BCE/ACE (before common epoch, after common epoch)) and call it a day while still keeping the same fluid date system as before.

The guide
This needs some modifications but overall we can keep the main guide. Although if we want to rewrite this then we can ask someone to write a new one (or ask for volunteers).

Other stuff
We need to all get along for this to work, so if you refuse to communicate with others here or just come to point fingers then there are other FT RPs on NS. Blame time is over, it’s cleanup time now.

In addition, we now have the opportunity to make fundamental changes to A1-0 that may have been blocked before. For example, we can do away with the name A1-0 that caused a lot of this discourse in the first place (it’s not the main cause but a large part). Really, the world is now our oyster and we can change or modify the canon however we want. As long as everyone agrees, of course.

5 Likes

I think this is an interesting idea, although I believe it would be good to mandate that the plot may not merge with your bigger A1-0 nation. The TT should not just be used for territorial expansion, those plots should be used to flesh out the TT.

3 Likes

You have some interesting ideas, but i still believe we should let the canon rest for a while. Most people still have hard feelings about everything that happened in the past few days. Hell I don’t even trust myself to not rage and get in a shouting match, due to academic stress I’ve been very irritable. And most people are busy or tired of A1-0, for example flaming said that recently he was only getting more exhausted by the canon and considered leaving and I’ve had quite a similar experience. A break will help everyone

3 Likes

My statement here will be somewhat multi-part.

NPNs
I mostly support the scrapping of NPNs in A1-0 or whatever we decide to rename it to. They didn’t really get much engagement from anybody other than Maverick, so it’s safe to say that we probably don’t need them; in the event that we do decide to add new ones, however, there is an active discussion in the Aurora category regarding the merits of implementing mandatory CC licensing as a way to prevent roleplayers from wielding retcons of NPNs & other shared canon lore as a weapon against the rest of the community in the future.

On the subject of a Tiyanki Territories redux, I find the idea of making it a ‘mini-A1-0’ sort of section to be a rather interesting one if it can be done properly. One potential caveat is that I’m not sure how one would prevent those small states from just being roleplayed as satellites of the larger states, which could be a problem in the future if the practice is left unchecked.

Renaming & wiki
If we’re planning on renaming A1-0, then we should state the intention to do so early in order to reduce the amount of potential page moving that we would have to do after the (A1-0) canon suffix is deprecated. I personally don’t care about whether we rename the canon or not, but others may feel differently.

On another wiki-related subject, the rest of Maverick’s A1-0 presence on TSPedia should now be tossed into the db-g7 bin. We should now have a mostly clean slate to either repurpose the remaining shared content of A1-0 or scrap it entirely and rebuild TSPRP’s scifi canon from the ground up.

New calendar
I think that it may be best to come up with a new meaning for BBT/ABT, just since that’s the dating system that everybody’s used to at this point; I’m sure that there will be some way to come up with a new BT acronym after we start rewriting the canon lore.

2 Likes

Good idea. I was going to include something along the lines of “it can’t be an extension of your nation, it can’t be a satellite of your nation (without a good, well-RPed reason), it must be a fully independent state” but I forgot because I was… very tired.

I’ve heard this argument and I understand the reasons behind it. However, I don’t see why we can’t try to get everything back up and running so that when people decide to come back and RP, they don’t have to spend time trying to create a new bedrock for the canon.

I feel like the mandatory CC licensing is a bit… strange. What this implies is that all information about the NPN is out of the control of RPers, including sections involving other nations owned by someone. If they decide to leave, then theoretically their nation is still required to exist to maintain the NPN’s lore.

In addition, we are not obligated to remove Mav’s threads. The GDPR entitles him to a removal of his personally identifiable information from the forum, but not a full removal of all of his posts and threads—this is made clear by the fact that there is no full deletion function on the forum, only an anonymizing function. If someone were to do this in the future and we decided we wanted to keep the NPN, we could just… keep it. For example, if Mav decided to rugpull on Stoinia in Pacifica, we could just make it permanent and keep it canon.

And, finally, when participating in a collaborative worldbuilding project it is already tacitly expected that everything you provide to the community is the community’s. If you decide to leave and no longer maintain your nation, that’s fine, but if the community decides the nation needs to stay then it will—see permanent plots in Pacifica. We don’t need everyone to have a license on everything. It’s easier that way, anyways.

3 Likes

I realize that the current draft isn’t a perfect solution, nor is it likely to be even in a hypothetical final revision. It is, however, unlikely that Maverick will be the last TSPRP roleplayer to swing the hammer of copyright/IP claims, and I believe that some contingency protection for shared and/or canon-critical lore will thus eventually be needed when a situation of this kind inevitably repeats itself in A1-0 or another TSPRP canon. I’d like to have more to share at the moment, but all I can say about the Aurora thread at present is that Flaming and I are doing our best to strike a fair balance between obtaining insulation from rugpulls and avoiding the addition of cumbersome bureaucratic overhead to roleplayers’ interactions with NPNs.

As for the question of Maverick’s threads themselves, I don’t see any particular reason to keep them on the forums. If Maverick wants a total sharpie of his contributions to A1-0, then why not give it to him as long as it isn’t too much work? We’re not going to be using any of that lore after the revision anyway, so scrubbing it would just be a simple, routine mopping up of obsolete posts at that point.

3 Likes