Something of Note

Something of Note

A collection of various stories from around Tusadu, released occasionally. Hopefully you’ll find something of note.

Table of Contents

blah blah blah things things here

4 Likes

We, the people of the Republic of Texas, having resolved to consolidate the Planets of Texas and Oklahoma into a democratic republic of the People, in order to secure the promise of Freedom, Justice, Liberty, and Equality, hereby establishes this Constitution of Texas on the eighteenth day of July in the year of our Lord two thousand twenty-nine.

The Fairbanks Journal
Volume 2; Entry 1
c. 814 BBT; 2064 CE

Humans confuse me. One day, they stand against everything that is associated with you, and the next, they pretend like everything has been fine and you’ve been friends forever. I especially got massive amounts of whiplash when, just two years after the ending of the crusade against everything non-human, they offered me a government job and an apology for everything I had been through. Of course, that would never be enough for what I had lost. I could barely remember my own name besides the one the humans gave me, and I had lost much knowledge of my native language. But, if you spend too much time looking for what you have lost, you’ll never get to discover something new. I took the job.

The primary caveat with the job was that I had to move to this small town in the north named Fairbanks. I figured it would be fine–after all, I’ve lived in cold, isolated places before. What nobody told me was that the human definition of “small” was not the same as mine. I expected a quaint village with dirt roads and about 500 people, and instead what I found was a small city of 15,000. It was certainly impressive, considering the low number of humans that initially arrived on the planet.

I, unsurprisingly, was the only Shrimpian in the town. This was usually fine, considering my job at the National Weather Administration was quite a bit outside of city limits, but occasionally–usually every month or so–I had to travel into the center of the city for food and supplies. The first few times, the humans were fascinated with me. Most of them had never seen a Shrimpian before in person, and I’d bet none of them had ever seen one of us this close. I, of course, got a lot of questions. Everyone was very curious. Most of them I didn’t have an answer for, like “What’s it like…”. I can’t say what it’s like to be me because I’ve only ever been me. There’s a sample size of one. The only way I could tell someone what it’s like to be me if I had also been a human. I’m sure the government was (or still is) cooking up something like that on the rim worlds, but they’re not testing their pet projects on me.

The job itself isn’t terrible. I get to keep to myself, which is nice. I oversee a few people, but usually the office is deserted because people would rather work at home instead of taking the long drive up to the station. Usually I’m not doing much unless there’s severe weather, in which case I oversee the radio and offer second opinions on warnings.

Sometimes, when I see a car drive up to the station, I get concerned that the court decision to stop the atrocities committed by the government was reversed and that I’ve been selected for one of the government’s relocation projects like they used to do. I doubt it’ll ever happen, though. I mean, you can never know with humans, but if the Phoenix Treaty passes and Tusadu is created then hopefully we will be safe for a very long time. My hope is that future generations will never have to deal with what we went through and that they can live in happiness and peace. It may just be wishful thinking, but who knows. Wishes come true all the time.

3 Likes