So Close, Yet So Far. (Galactya-Sereniani First Contact)

Frost Three “Sparrow” Multispectral Comms Open Channel

Though somewhat unsurprised, Sparrow thought it would go smoother. His weapons systems were offline, and the antimatter shields were disengaged. Did they really think he had the gaul to fight a ship a hundred, maybe a thousand times his own? Sure, he had friends, but they were doing the same thing. They all were having the time of their lives, and Sparrow had just tried to talk to someone from another race. It did put a little shiver down his spine, though.

“Sparrow here, finally someone’s actually listening. Just running some flight patrols, you guys seem rather keen to get the hell out of here. Do you have plans for later? Running late for a date, perhaps?”

Tone wasn’t really a concern. He was trying to de-escalate via humor. Something to cool heads between both powers.

2 Likes

The entire control crew looked at each other. They all were feeling either one of two things: some felt confused, while others felt rather annoyed. Still, they all felt a little bit amused. What was this alien trying to do?

The captain, instead, felt very much unamused.

Okay let’s cut it with the protocol here, are you actually trying to make… jokes?! You people just took control of Taivaallinen, endangered the entire existence of the colonies by cleaning up the accretion disk and threatened us. Does this seem like the time for jokes to you?!

2 Likes

Frost Three “Sparrow” Multispectral Comms Open Channel

Today, was not his day, he guessed. Sparrow just couldn’t catch a break. Frustration turned to anger. Why couldn’t people just understand?

“Hang on, I didn’t do any of that. You expect me to take personal responsibility for something beyond my control? Did I do any of those things? Did I personally threaten you? Is it my fault I’m following orders to patrol a certain area? Do you think my family would like to learn I was dishonorably discharged for not following orders? Blame the brass, not me. Think about your speeches next time. Do you think we wanted to clean the entire accretion disk? We didn’t, and I’ll tell you that. That first vessel was to clear the way for us so we didn’t get mauled by asteroids. The whole thing was to prevent someone from accessing our star systems.”

1 Like

How am I supposed to act then? What am I supposed to say? I have billions of people on this ship who are going to lose their homes because of this! If we don’t make you go away quickly, even the atmospheres will have frozen when we come back!

And it’s not like we didn’t try to talk to you PEACEFULLY about what you were doing. We tried a friendliness flare, a communication probe (which you stole by the way, don’t think we didn’t notice) and a direct message! And you chose to ignore all of them!

”C-captain…”

WHAT.

”We-we have to g-go now.”

”Ugh… sure, ok, just give me a moment.”

Listen. We aren’t angry with you in particular. We really aren’t. We know that it’d be cruel to actually be angry at the ones who aren’t pulling the strings. But there’s just no other way. You just being here has been the biggest threat to the system in thousands of years. So we have no other choice. Either you re-fuel that accretion disk, or you just go away.

We have to go now. Try not to remain here for long, if you want to survive. The Warships are coming, as well as our friends. Be cautious, alien.

As the Captain talked, the ringularity started forming around the titanic Migration Ship. Just as the Captain finished speaking, the ring had fully formed itself. And, in less than a second, there was a bright colorful light, and the ship was gone. The alien vessel was now alone, in the void of space.

2 Likes

Space Defense Analyst Room, Admiral Eliza

“We need to know more.”

“We need full strength to repel any assaults we face.”

“We still need the info.”

“Why should I let you lead two flights of Valkyrie IIs?”

“Because I’m the closest person who’s interacted with them, and hasn’t pissed them off.”

“How-”

“You don’t think the system wide evac order they issued wasn’t because of the indirect threat to the planets?”

“…What do you need?”

“A few starshot probes, cameras and all your information on what the hell happened.”

Rapid Launch Bay No. 39, Admiral Eliza

Sparrow was left with his thoughts as the loading carousel picked his heavily modified Valk II up. This was his first time leading a flight- No, two flights of Valk IIs. The plan was fairly simple. Tracking a ship to another system is easy. That’s old tech. His Valk II had one. It recorded two flashes, in another system. Now this was just a hunch on his part, he guessed that it was the migration ship (That’s what they are called, apparently) arriving at another system. Now the Valk II doesn’t have a skip drive, or any form of FTL. Not normally, anyway. He got theirs installed with one though, which necessitated the RLB shoving them out ASAP, to avoid the massive backblast of radiation. The new combined flight got a new name, too.

“Spark One clear RLB via Ejection. Spark One Away.”

“Spark Two clear RLB via Ejection. Spark Two Away.”

“Spark Three clear RLB via Ejection. Spark Three Away.”

“Spark Four clear RLB via Ejection. Spark Four Away.”

“Spark Five clear RLB via Ejection. Spark Five Away.”

“Spark Six clear RLB via Ejection. Spark Six Away.”

Spark Flight Combined Special Operations Comms Line

“Spark One to all crafts, enable Antimatter Shielding and thread for the open so we can get on the move.”

“Threading.”

“Spark Four moving out to thread, shielding on.”

“Six threading.”

“Five is threading.”

“Three, threaded. Ships are clear of radiation.”

“Heading 40. Stabilize to the coordinates I’ve sent.”

“We all good?”

“Signed my will.”

“You’re not funny.”

“The Galactyans didn’t think you were either, according to the black box.”

“Oh damn. Sparrow getting called out by the aliens for his trash jokes?”

“That’s a new one.”

“Ugh. Who’s ready to skip? Limit thrust to 20%.”

“Are skip drives that strong?”

“We’ll get torn to shreds, according to the engineers.”

“Skipping, see you starside.”

“Pushing.”

The rest of Spark Flight engaged their skip drives and were away. Certainly not how he thought his day would end.

4 Likes

Regional Galactyan Date: 34/10/6000 P.E.
Standard Sectorial Date: 0 BBT
Star System: Easteolnisp
Planet: Eastavilp
2 and a half days after the Sereniani First Contact

“Again, thanks for letting us come here Governor.”

“I already told you darling. You have absolutely nothing to thank me about! I’m just doing my job, just as any fellow Galactyan should.”

“Still, it was kind of a big request…”

“I mean, of course it was, but really, it’s the lest I could do. Especially in a situation like this…”

“Tell me about it. Everything happened so hastily and suddenly that I think I still have to process it.”

“To be honest everyone kind of does.”

"Yeah… Anyways, when do you think the Emeraldian Fleet is going to arrive? "

“Wait let me check. So, they should arrive in… oh. Oh wait they literally tracked at the spaceport right now. Do you want to come with me and greet them? We will all have to go meet the Member of the Ministry Of Defense that was sent here, so we might as well meet up beforehand.”

“Oh, sure! Thanks for the offer.”

“No worries. We’ll take my private Maglev Capsule. We’ll be there in the blink of a star.”

3 Likes

“Surely they’ve noticed us by now.”

“Don’t try any of your trash jokes this time, huh?”

“Maintain radio silence while we figure out what’s happening.”

“Wilco, if you insist…”

“Why didn’t we bring anything to defend ourselves?”

“Your autocannon isn’t sufficient?”

“Was never really good at autocannon fire.”

“Everybody maintain radio silence, I’m going to open a Line.”

Multispectral Communications, Open Line

“Hailing any ship that can hear me. This is Spark One “Sparrow” of The Technocratic Federation of Serniani. I am on a mission of diplomacy in accordance with my orders. As ordered by my governing body I am unarmed but will be maintaining Shields to prevent radiation backblast via my engine.”

Perhaps a bit of professionalism could go a long way. This time, there weren’t going to be jokes. He had a job to do, this time.

1 Like

UES Colradia
0BBT/2102
Easteolnisp System

Rear Admiral David Ludov sat in his Captains chair, this was his first real combat test, he had only really faced pirates and rebelling UEN Vessels before, this was … New. He looked up after feeling the all to familiar jolt that signalled that the Fleet had arrived in the Easteolnisp System, one of the systems currently hosting 3 Migration Ships. Man, this Galactyan First Contact had not gone very well, even compared to the Union’s First Contact, but that was a complete misunderstanding, and that was also nearly a year ago, Union Citizens now lived in Galactya, the UEN had established a small Naval Base to service the ResCom Fleet, along with multiple Jumpspace Comm Satellites. His inner thoughts were shattered by his Radar Officer.

(RO)“Sir, I’m picking up multiple small vessels on the outskirts of the system, Comms has also intercepted a few messages, but it seems all are encrypted.”

(RA)“Send Fighter Squadron 3 to deal with them, make sure to tell them that they are to drive them off and do not fire unless fired upon.”

(CMO + RO)“Yes, Sir”

(CMO)“Sir, I’m getting a message from one of those ships. Broadcasting to bridge speakers now.”

(XO)“Rather odd, they occupy the Wormhole, drive off multiple colonists, and illegally take a probe? I don’t why we should believe them sir, this might be a false flag for something bigger.”

(RA)“I agree, If they think they can be diplomatic, then they shouldn’t have occupied that Wormhole. Comms, tell FS3 that they have permission to open fire on those craft, use Plasma Missiles and Cannons.”

(CMO)“Roger that”

After sending in their fighters, the Fleet began engaging docking procedures with the Galactyan Station. All of the ResCom Fleet CO’s would be meeting with a member of the Galactyan Ministry Of Defense. After a Connection Tunnel was attached to the ships, the CO’s and accompanying Marine Guard made their way to greet the Governor.

4 Likes

“Taking fire!”

“Spark Five defending! Releasing Countermeasures!”

“Spark Four defending! Egressing North Up! Releasing Countermeasures!”

“Spark Two Egressing Northwest Down! Pincer with me Spark Three!”

"Roger Pincer! Push them!

“Splash One Splash One!”

“I see an ejection pod!”

“Disable Engines! Don’t go for kills!”

"Nice! Splash Two! "

“No ejection pod…”

“Spark Six hit! Disengaging! I’m heading back for support!”

"Disengage, we should be able to handle it diplomatically. If they shoot you after disengaging it’s a war crime. "

“Spark Six I’ll cover you, just bolt for it.”

“Flanking! Four give me some cover!”

“I gotcha! Push them now!”

"Splash Three! The rest are bugging out!

“Let’s try this again.”

“This is Spark One “Sparrow,” hailing the ship who launched fighter craft against us. Unfortunately as a result of the dogfight, one pilot didn’t eject and the craft exploded. The other two ejected successfully, and are being towed to the nearest station. Our condolences for the mess. I would again, like to request an audience. Hostile force will be met with hostile force. I have been authorized to defend myself and my flight.”

Sparrow was frustrated. Not only did he follow protocol to the letter, Spark Six was damaged and leaking fuel. He had engaged only because they shot first, RoE wasn’t very lenient, but the gloves were off now. He now had authority to execute decisions on behalf of the Federation. Including war. He hoped it didn’t come to that.

3 Likes

Just as they got out from the Maglev Capsule, the Governor’s holowatch started ringing, an emergency call appearing on the hologram. They opened it.

“Wait, something’s happening.”

The governor’s assistant appeared. He looked very, very distressed.

GOVERNOR, THE EMERALDIANS HAVE ATTACKED A SERENIANI VESSEL AT THE EDGE OF THE SYSTEM AFTER THEY REQUESTED A DIPLOMATIC AUDIENCE! WHAT DO WE DO?!

“Holy. Fucking. Comet. I am so gonna kill them later. Ughhhhh… listen, just-- just open a communication line with the vessel and let me talk. I’ll handle the situation with the Emeraldians.”

"Of course Governor, I'll-I'll do that right away."

Vessels of the Technocratic Republic, this is governor Ayukenaq Tyuhrnis of the Easteolnisp System. I apologize for the attack, as it was caused by our misinformed allies, and not because of harmful intent on our part. I'll inform our allies not to attack you until further notice, and I accept your request for a diplomatic audience. You may track to Eastavilp's Spaceport.

The Governor then opened another communication line, this time with the Emeraldian Fleet.

This is governor Ayukenaq Tyuhrnis of the Easteolnisp System. Until further notice, I ask you not to attack the Sereniani vessels that will be tracking at the Spaceport. Their request for a diplomatic audience has been accepted, and the meeting with the Minister Of Defense will be postponed.

They hoped that this would calm the waters down a bit. The situation was already tense as it was, so they really didn’t need more attacks, incidents and deaths. Meanwhile, they went, together with the Migration Ship Captain, in front of one of the Spaceport’s hangars, where Rear Admiral Ludov had gotten out of his ship. As they got there, the Admiral was looking at them rather confused, but before he was able to ask any questions, the Governor asked him to follow them. They were going to do this together, and he was going to apologize for what he had done, even if, admittedly, the aliens kind of deserved it.

3 Likes

“Spark One here. I got clearance to land. I need y’all to go back and grab Xacto XL’s. Just incase. Get them with Skip Drives.”

“Gotcha. Alright let’s go get us some Xacto XL’s.”

“Be careful, Calio.”

“I’ll be fine.”

“Promise?”

“…I promise, Laurisa. Just go. I’ll be back before you know it.”

“I’ll be back for you. Don’t you go running off.”

“…Just go, I appreciate the concern.”

“Wilco, if you insist.”

Valk IIs aren’t very good for atmospheric combat. Or entering an atmosphere. Or leaving for that matter. They only have atmospheric stabilizing wings, and landing legs. Sparrow shut the engine down. Coasting was the only real choice he had, since he didn’t want to spread radiation everywhere. Emerging from a fog bank, he coasted towards “Eastavilp Spaceport,” as shown by the coordinate system. Making for the designated pad, he activated the thrust vectors on the Valkyrie II. A perfect landing.

Sparrow’s Valkryie II, Eastavilp Spaceport

Sparrow, his flight suit adorned with a few patches, got out of the Valkyrie II. He had an O2 Filter prebuilt for situations like this. Except, you were supposed to be stranded. He could easily leave. Whatever happened, he was now an arbiter on behalf of the Federation.

He waited.

2 Likes

As the trio walked down one of the private hangars where they had made the alien track, it came into view. From afar, it looked… strangely human. Eh, he was going to look different when they’d get close- ok, no, even more human now. There was no doubt then. This was a human. Clearly a human. This meant that there was yet another human nation out there, and who knows how many more. Well, Galactyans loved humans of course, but they still would have preferred a bit more variety. It wasn’t really a problem though.

As they got even closer, the Governor noticed a more worrying detail. It, or more properly, since it was a human male (at least they presumed), he, was young. Awfully young. He was probably not even 25. The Governor looked at Admiral Ludov, who looked rather uneasy. Was it the human? Was it the age? Was it both, or neither? Eh, they could ask him later.

They finally arrived in front of the human, who was looking quite shocked at them. And, amusingly, he was more shocked to see Admiral Ludov than he was seeing the Galactyans. That was probably going to change later on though.

The Governor extended their hand towards the human, and introduced themselves.

”Greetings. I’m Governor Ayukenaq Tyuhrnis of the Easteolnisp Star System. It’s s pleasure to meet you in person. I’m… sorry for what happened before. We really didn’t mean to.”

2 Likes

The Rear Admiral looked very confused as the Governor and the MS Captain looked rather ticked off, until he got a message from his Comms Officer on his Communicator.

(CMO)“Sir, we lost 3 Fighters and a Pilot, we managed to Damage multiple of them. Also, we have been advised to not fire on those ships”

(RA)“Well, HighCom told me to fire on any non-Galactyan or Calerostian Vessel in the system, don’t put blame on me! I was following orders and Protocol!”

The Rear Admiral looked back as the other Captains joined him, and he followed the Galactyans to the Aliens vessel.

At the Pad…

The Rear Admiral(Having left the other CO’s and Marines behind) looked rather shocked and somewhat uneasy at the Alien in front of him, he was a Human, and also very young, probably only 19, if that. The Rear Admiral was almost 46 and his decorated Uniform told that he had authority over all the other Union Vessels in the Region.

He extended his hand towards the Alien

“Greetings, I am Rear Admiral David Ludov of the United Emeraldian Navy. I very much apoligize for sending fighters against you, we had orders from HighCom to fire on your vessels if they were in system.”

3 Likes

Humans? In A1-0? My word.

Retain Composure Loom, you got this.

Seeing the first hand, he took it and shook it.

“Greetings. I’m 2nd Lt Calio Loom, 5th Strategic Reserve Fleet, Frost Flight. Probably know me as “Sparrow.” I would also classify myself as the least annoyed Serniani this side of ABH-003. Don’t worry, though. It’s fine.”

He shook the other hand as well.

“So you were the guy sending fighters at us? They fought honorably. Except for the guys who bugged out.”

Shifting gears, Calio asked another question;

“In discussion of ABH-003. Where do you want that to be done?”

2 Likes

”Since this situation is rather… precarious, so to say, we could go to my Office in the Central Administration Building. That way we’d be undisturbed.”

”And Ludov, I’m sorry but I’d like to speak to him in private for a bit. I’m certainly going to bring him to the meeting with the Minister Of Defense, so you’ll be able to talk to him then.”

”Follow me, Cailio.”

As the two got put of the Spaceport and mixed in with the crowd, the Governor looked at the young human’s amazed face in seeing the Galactyans. His predictions were correct, after all.

”So… you look quite young for the position you cover. If this is an uncomfortable topic for you then feel free to not answer but, how old are you exactly?”

2 Likes

“O-Okay.”

Now was NOT the time for his voice to stammer. Seriously? Why?

He followed Governor, somewhat reluctantly.

What in the name of science-

That is a lot of species.

Okay. That is a LOT of species.

“A solar rotation is around 250 Days. I’m 19. Youngest Aviator in the Federation. Was the only person with a communications minor. It was a choice of being practical. Homeland Defense didn’t want this mission to go forward, had to go talk to External Affairs. External Affairs greenlit the mission after some moron talked to one of those Migration Ships. That moron happened to me.”

“…How old are you?” Calio asked curiously.

2 Likes

meanwhile in space…

Flash. Energy pulse. The starbraker is in realspace

Across all com frequencies a well known signal goes out.
“The Gill-Atarnië asserts it’s presence!” Yells a voice over comms

“This is contraadmiral Tangadon of the INS Glory of Sunlight, under my command are also 6 spark corvettes and the INS Ember of Victory. Any attack against our allies is a attack against us and a attack against us is a attack against our allies!”

Standard procedure when entering a zone of high tension, letting the possible enemy know that they’ll be in trouble if they attack anyone. This was Tangadon’s first time saying those sentences. He enjoyed it. He also enjoyed being the one selected to go to Galactya’s aid after they sent a request. Who ever this possible enemy was didn’t know what they got themselves into.

2 Likes

The Governor’s assistant quickly opened a direct line with the Starbraker. He did not want to contact the Governor, at least not now that they were speaking to the alien.

Ships of the Star Empire If Calerost, this is an official communication from the Colony of Easteolnisp System. The enemy has requested a diplomatic meeting, which the Governor is currently attending. Therefore, we ask you not to attack any Sereniani Vessel until further notice or unless for an emergency response. The meeting with the Minister Of Defense will be postponed. You are free to dock at Eastavilp’s Spaceport. When it is time, a guide will escort you to the Central Administration Building.

Meanwhile, back on Eastavilp’s surface…

3 Likes

”Well, I’m 633 in Galactyan Years, but I’m 1024 in Standard Years. So I’m quite the oldie, even though my looks don’t give it away!”

”I was born here on Eastavilp and when I was about 260 I got into politics and eventually the Emperors appointed me as Governor of this system. It’s quite the demanding job, but it does have a lot of privileges. Not that the population doesn’t live comfortably though. Instead, tell me, what brought you to enlist?”

1 Like

“Acknowledged, Gill-Atarnië. This is Spark Flight of The Technocratic Federation of Serniani. This is Spark Two callsign “Rapier.” Any use of hostile force will be met with the same. I am cleared to use force to defend myself and my flight. Do not test my resolve to do so.”

Jeez, Laurisa thought. It was bad enough Spark Six was grounded, it was worse because they were forced to bring the Ballista Class along for fire support in case things get dicey again.

Calio-Laurisa’s Personal Line

“Hey.”

“Hey. What do you want? I’m sort of busy.”

“Homeland Defense forced us to bring a Ballista along so they didn’t have to jerry rig more Small Craft.”

“…Why would they do that?”

“Your guess is as good as mine, Calio.”

“So are you using a PAG to get down here?”

“Yup, be there in a pinch.”

Eastavilp’s Spaceport

Focusing back on reality for a moment, Calio realized that, quite embarrassingly, the Governor had been speaking to him. The entire time. He had forgotten to excuse himself. This was not a great first look.

“I apologize, my flightmates are coming. They were forced to leave because the ship you saw in the hanger isn’t best used for atmospheric operations. They are coming in another kind of ship. And I’ve received word that one of our ships from the mothball has joined us. It’s a midget carrier.”

Focusing on the question the governor had asked,

“I joined aviation because it was the easiest way to get offworld. Military institutions are the easiest way to go upwards in our society. I was born on Cascade-49, a planet that had recently gone into revolt. Some people never change. I got an undergraduate degree in Aerospace Engineering and a minor in Communication Studies. From there I was selected for multi-engine craft, from there Space Aviation. I was supposed to be on leave when we got the mothball fleet order. Our two flights had made it to ABH-003 and from there were assigned to the Admiral Eliza, the current Flagship on the Farside. Spark Flight is actually two flights, Frost and Paladin, which would make it a squadron, now that I think about it…”

2 Likes