Royal Audiences of the Monarch of Eria

Kingdom of Eria
Eria_CoA (1)

Every week, an Audience is held between the reigning Monarch of Eria, the members of the Royal Privy Council of Eria, and the serving Prime Minister of Eria. This Audience is closed-off from the public, and is intended to keep a close connection between the Monarchy and the Government of Eria, as well as to conduct businesses of government, especially the granting of Royal Assents to legislatures, and discussions of candidacy to important positions. The Prime Minister and members of the Privy Council might bring guests of honor to these audiences at the discretion of the Monarch.

5 Likes

Palazzo Reale, San Marco, 21st of April 2024
13:00

“Afternoon, Your Majesty, Your Grace,” Prime Minister Francesca entered the Audience Room with a gusto.

The room itself was rectangular, with crystal high-windows dominating the east-side, and a blue wall, adorned with golden cornices and a marble basing on its west-side. A huge portrait painting of King Amadeo II was hanging on the middle of the wall, looking sternly at the rest of the room. A long wooden table flanked with silk-cushioned chairs filled the room, underneath several crystalline chandeliers. On the head of the table, seated King Alberto IV, smiling gently at the Prime Minister. His elderly figure emanated a feeling of old grandeur, but also a hint of fatigue. Seated on his right was Luigi di Avesta, the Duke of Figlie and the Defense and Intelligence Advisor of the Privy Council. On the King’s left, was Archpriest Gaspare Monti, the Head of the Rationalist Church in Eria, and the youngest amongst Archpriests in the entire Rationalist Church. Nobody else was in the room.

Upon seeing the Archpriest, the Prime Minister’s smile soured. “Ah, I did not expect a guest in our audience, Your Majesty. Good afternoon to you too, Your Holiness.”

The Archpriest nodded in respect. “Don’t let my attendance disturb you, Prime Minister, I’m here at the Duke’s invitation,” said the Archpriest. “Indeed, please, have a seat, Prime Minister,” the King spoke with a harsh voice, while gesturing to the Prime Minister to sit on his opposite side. “Well, that’s fine by me, Your Majesty, although I would appreciate it if I was alerted first.”

“You seem to be in a hurry, Prime Minister, I hope my time of choice does not disturb your duties,” the King asked. “Ah, not at all your Grace, I was just a bit excited about some events, that’s all.”

“Care to share, Prime Minister?” asked Duke Luigi. “Well, it’s nothing much. Just a meeting with the Ambassador of Livana. We were discussing a joint-investigation on our mafioso issues, and they seemed to be interested,” the Prime Minister answered while opening his briefcase and shuffling through his documents.

“Cooperation with our fellow Rationalist brothers is always welcomed, Prime Minister, especially in these trying times,” the Archpriest commented. “Indeed. That cooperation would’ve been much more fruitful if our church did not suddenly, out of nowhere, offer protection for repentant mafioso, and deny the people the justice they seek,” the Prime Minister remarked with a hint of disdain. “This is exactly why I brought the Archpriest here, Prime Minister. This dispute needs to be discussed,” said the Duke.

The Prime Minister developed some documents from his briefcase. “What is there to be discussed? It’s plain simple. These rapscallions are criminals and have to undergo the justice they deserve,” said the Prime Minister as he handed the documents to the King. “This is the legislatures that both Houses have agreed upon this week, Your Majesty."

“This is the new tax regulation on appliance import, is it not?” the King asked. “Yes, and regulations on bureaucratic simplification next after it. Just give your signature at the bottom, Your Majesty." The Duke stared eagerly towards the documents, reading it from a distance.

“Prime Minister, surely you’d understand that these men are repentant servants of God. Even Foramil The Conqueror did not punish the barbarian King that killed one of his daughters after he repented,” commented the Archpriest.

“Besides, they gave valuable information to our security apparatus. I didn’t hear any complaints from your Minister of Interior or your Chief Commissioner,” added Duke Luigi over the sound of the King shuffling through the papers.

“Gaining valuable information is one thing, Your Grace. Blatantly pardoning murderers without giving the people justice is another. The opposition and the news are having a field trip with this decision, and my own party is inconsolable,” the Prime Minister answered in exasperation.

“So, it really was never about justice, was it not, Prime Minister?” the Archpriest remarked. “I’m just simply explaining the side effects here, Your Holiness,” the Prime Minister answered irritatedly.

“I cannot just simply refuse repentance, Prime Minister. That is my literal job, pushing people for repentance, and to lead a good life as St. Aloysius decreed,” the Archpriest continued.

“So, if Giuseppe Enzo, Dante Matteo, or even his mother Ariana herself showed up at your doorstep and asked for repentance, would you give them?” the Prime Minister asked. “No, of course not! Be reasonable, Prime Minister. There are rules of conduct for these kinds, and I will have a Rationalist Judicial to preside over such issues. You see, there are different weights on different kinds of crimes, one…”

“I don’t have time for your religious mathematics, Your Holiness, the people demand justice, and justice shall be done!” remarked the Prime Minister.

"You do realise that my decision would expedite your arrest of the Matteos by a lot? This would help end the ‘war’ that is happening on our streets!” rebuked the Archpriest with a heightened voice.

“So, it was never about repentance, was it, Your Holiness?” said the Prime Minister with open hostility.

“Your Majesty, Stop!” the Duke shouted.

King Alberto’s hand hung above the last paper that he was about to sign. The Duke forcefully took the paper from the King’s hand.

“What is this, Prime Minister, if you would be so kind as to explain?” the Duke asked with a firm voice. The Prime Minister was taken aback but kept his composure.

“That would be an edict on my new security ordinance, Your Grace. It will help streamline all internal security affairs, and help me coordinate with local police to hasten the arrest of the mafiosos, on top of dealing with the Archpriest’s misdirected approach,” explained the Prime Minister.

“And you did not care to explain this very important edict to His Majesty?” asked the Duke.

“As I said, Your Grace, what is there to be discussed? We are at war with the mafioso, and we need every resource that we need to end this in our favour. By having the Chief Commissioner, and all Commissioners in Eria to answer to me, and to me alone, I will have better control on what to do.”

“And overstepping the authorities of all of Eria’s Regions, Counties, nobility and the Houses of Parliament, as well as hurting the Crown’s authority, I would add,” commented the Archpriest after reading several passages off the paper.

“I have not heard anything from your Ministers. This edict will gravely hurt the balance of power amongst Eria’s most important institutions, and not to mention the compromise it would have over personal liberty!” the Duke complained. “It came from my own personal advisor, Your Grace. It is a necessary edict. I need all the authority I can have to end this as quickly as possible, and to avoid any such things as what happened before at that stadium and in your own Palace, Your Majesty.”

“What you’re trying to do today, having that edict shuffled away within bureaucratic junks, betrays the King’s trust, Prime Minister,” said the Duke. “I’m afraid I cannot let the King sign this. This edict has to go through the Houses of Parliament first.”

The Prime Minister was visibly distraught. “I have no intentions to harm your trust, Your Majesty. You have to see the gravity of this situation. Our people are under siege. They cannot go out from their houses without fearing for their own lives. People that lost their relatives now have to see the assailant roaming free because of the Archpriest’ decision. We need decisive action now!” pleaded the Prime Minister.

“Your Majesty, this edict needs scrutiny. If this passes through, the Prime Minister would have extraordinary powers over all Erian institutions, and compromise on the principle of good governance!” countered the Duke.

The King hesitated for a while. He sighed with disappointment. “Prime Minister, the Duke is right. What you were trying to do today undermines the trust between you and me. And this edict is too broad and too vague, it needs further scrutiny from the Parliament. I cannot accept this now.”

The Prime Minister sighed in disappointment, before composing himself again. “Fine, Your Majesty. I’ll see this through the Parliament. And I’m sorry that I’ve breached your trust, I will make sure that this will never happen again. I think this concludes everything then, Your Majesty? I have to meet with the Ambassador after this.” The King nodded, and the Prime Minister rose from his seat. He gave a brief nod to Duke Luigi and the Archpriest, before leaving the room. “Duke Luigi, anything else?” the King asked. “None, Your Majesty.”

“In that case, I need a warm bath.” The King rose from his seat, followed by the Duke and the Archpriest. “I don’t think you can just let such disrespect from the Prime Minister go that easily, Your Grace,” the Archpriest whispered to Duke Luigi. “No, you are right. I’ll see what I can do,” the Duke answered.

2 Likes