Regional Security Act

Mr. Chair, I move that this act be brought to a vote.

I still think this is more broad than necessary. For example, would an individual appointed by the Security Council to do bookkeeping really be liable to recall?

Does this mean that proscriptions would not include forum or server bans? Since those are not “regions”.

This provision, as written, doesn’t require that the proscribed party be the one to have engaged in such actions, only that the actions have happened. That could be misread to say that anyone could be proscribed if somewhere is a thread to the Coalition or if someone committed acts of hostility.

What would be the scope of such review? There is a difference between the Court reviewing a proscription on its merits and it merely reviewing if there is a rational basis for it, or some other level of review in between those.

Is there anything at all that we would want to include in this act regarding states of emergency?

Why not? If our community doesn’t trust that individual to be a bookkeeper for the Security Council, maybe they shouldn’t continue to hold that position.

Echoing Pronoun’s words. If the Security Council appointed a bookkeeper, they have access to sensitive discussions, and should not be totally separated from Assembly oversight or trust.

I can add in a prohibition on access to off-site resources, but I hesitated on adding that in originally in the event of a request by the proscribed for judicial review.

I will edit the provision.

This is a question I figured would be better answered in a Judicial Act, or equivalent. Given that the Great Council has yet to define judicial procedure, the game is still wide open.

The extant law regarding states of emergency is this clause, from the Charter, Section X.9:

I’m fine with adding a clause stating that the Security Council can declare a state of emergency (perhaps in case of a threat to the Coalition), but beyond that, what else do we need to define?

I disagree. I see no point in a provision so wide open that clerical staff could potentially fall under it. If we want to have the Coral Guard (or however its successor is called) be subject to recall then let’s add language to that effect. We don’t need to have every single position subject to recall (which is not the same as saying that they shouldn’t be subject to Assembly oversight).

I don’t know if we want to go down the rabbit hole of having the Judicial Act codify the scope of each possible case.

There is a significant amount of grey area around that. Would the PM remain the commander-in-chief of the military under a state of emergency? What kind of relationship would the executive have with the Security Council? How are states of emergency ended? What remedies would the Assembly have in case of abuse or refusal to end one? What qualifies as a “necessary measure”?

We’re not just talking about clerical staff in general, we’re talking about clerical staff in the context of the Securit Council. I think it’s fair to say that members of the Security Council should be trusted members of the community, and I don’t see why that shouldn’t extend to those working for the Security Council who have access to the information available to the council and are privy to decisions made by the council. The power to initiate recalls (or re-confirmation votes, which I’d also be amenable to) are means by which that trust can be measured.

I think you overestimate the “access to information” that is available to the CSS.

I’m assuming there’s enough information that appointing a clerk is a plausible scenario. But even if we’re talking about a bookkeeper who isn’t even bookkeeping much information, it’s still important for the CRS and their appointed officials to be trusted members of the community.

This is one area where I do believe we risk Assembly overreach. If we want the Coral Guard then that is a discussion I’m willing to have, and I even think it’s perfectly reasonable to make their members subject to recall. A blanket provision that any and all CSS-made appointments should be subject to recall is a step too far, in my view.

1 Like

Given that recalls may only be started for dereliction of duty, abuse of power, or violations of the law, I am not concerned with Assembly overreach in allowing all Security Council appointments be subject to recall.

With regards to codifying states of emergency, I think someone else can take a better crack at it than I could.

I’ve elected to just replace the old clause into the act. I seek final comments before moving it to a vote at the end of the week.

What is this referring to?

The above is included.

That clause is in the new Charter, so I’m not sure how much it adds to have it here?

To be honest, we need to return to allowing persona non grata designations and not conflate them with proscriptions. Every proscription since that idea was created was against a foreign actor. Why do people not in TSP have any rights to protect in TSP? They don’t, the entirety of NationStates doesn’t have rights here and shouldn’t. Just because somebody has some level of celebrity in NSGP doesn’t mean they are deserving of any right to trial against a diplomatic or security-based ban, yet we act like it does. Why?

The Cabinet should be allowed to PNG anybody who isn’t a citizen of our community, and just throwing a nation in the region should not be enough to skirt that because we should be capable of not being pedantic idiots.

For those in TSP, that’s where the real debate is. The main reason we’ve gone the proscription route for domestic security concerns is because there’s been a lack of faith in the criminal trial system. A large part of that is the assumption that the burden of proof is absurdly high given the nature of the game. Can we simply establish a reasonable burden of proof? Can we allow certain measures pending trial? In most countries, you’re arrested and in jail for the duration of your trial if you’re a significant risk. Why can’t we limit somebody’s ability to post, vote, etc. during their trial, if the court finds there’s probable success or whatever? Again, at a reasonable burden of proof for this game.

I would tend to agree. My view is that the government should be able to prevent someone from joining and that the Court should still be able to accept challenges to those decisions. The caveat would be that judicial review should be limited to assessing if there was a rational basis for the decision; that is, if the government's decision would be reasonable enough given the evidence available, even if others who looked at that same evidence could make a different decision.

I think we’d need a more thorough discussion when it comes to proscribing actual members, but it should be possible to balance the region’s interests with the idea that members should be able to challenge their proscription.

I’ve redrafted the Regional Security Act and added an amendment to the Charter following some conversations on Discord.

Why should the Court accept a challenge to that decision? That player is not a member of the Coalition, they don’t have rights here, they have never demonstrated good faith in their engagement with us or desire to participate in our process. As a result, the government should be given broad discretion to exclude them. This can’t be exploited by the PM to ban their enemies within the region, it would be a way for the PM to prevent potential entry by known enemies and potential bad actors should they attempt to arrive.

You left out key context from my post, which already addresses your concern:

If the above isn’t quite clear, what I imagine is the Court being able to verify only that:

• The proscription was issued following the proper procedure, which I think we can all agree is a reasonable thing to expect.

• The proscription can be reasonably interpreted to follow a legitimate security purpose. I emphasise here that the goal is not for the Court to decide if the available evidence supports the proscription beyond a reasonable doubt, rather it is to ensure for any proscriptions that, on the whole, the evidence can in any way support the proscription and serve a legitimate security purpose.

While I understand giving the court the ability to ensure procedure is followed, non-citizens should not have recourse to challenge proscription.