Let's Talk: A Recent String of Homophobia

Bigotry is a pretty serious offence that leaves a lot of long lasting consequences for the victims of it.

Again, moderation serves the purpose of protecting the members of its community from harm. Not to weigh on a scale the morality or fairness of taking steps towards eliminating bigotry within it.

Are such views sometimes influenced by an environment in which a person has grown up? Definitely. Is that something moderation should consider? Not quite. The only thing there is to consider is the affect it can have on its community.

2 Likes

I believe that it deserves an instaban, this is because it would quite simply help protect members of our community that may suffer discrimination in real life, do they cone here and deserve to be tortured in this community, a place where we are generally not tolerant of such actions, and that was regarded as a safe space for members of the LGBT community until the Orcuo incident.
As well as this, if we make it blatantly obvious transphobia deserves an instaban, would it not be likely for transphobia rates to decrease?

1 Like

You said it yourself earlier Dry, weā€™re not these peopleā€™s parents. Itā€™s not our responsibility to change people, nor should we expect them to.

Thereā€™s a difference between differing on politics and policy vs differing about someones treatment on a personal level. And I feel that if we allow people to debate on the RMB whether or not LGBT people deserve the same treatment as non, what weā€™re effectively saying is: Itā€™s acceptable to question if you have the same moral worth as a ā€œnormal personā€.

1 Like

So whatā€™s your criteria for breaking the rule and being instantly banned. Give me an example of behavior that would be so offensive weā€™ll just throw due process out the window.

3 Likes

For older, more experienced members, an instaban, also for trolling, but should the nation be new and considered by the respective moderator to either not know the rules or have made an accident, they shall be let off with a warning with an instant ban the next time such a thing happens.

And itā€™s not about how offensive it is- of course that is important, but about mental health.

1 Like

You know, the problem with glass houses, anyone can find them.

https://www.nationstates.net/page=rmb/postid=47563946

This you?

1 Like

Why do you ask?

Proving a point about discrimination and how it can inadvertently happen. Do you consider Hello Boomer inoffensive?

1 Like
  1. I believe I have, especially on discord, admitted to being a hypocrite multiple times.
  2. That was me, technically, but it wasnā€™t, Iā€™m not the same person I was all that time ago, people change, Dry.
1 Like

And yet, you come here and argue to not allow that same courtesy to others who may have made a mistake also?

I get we need to stick up for our region mates, Iā€™ve no problem with it, but your way doesnā€™t allow for people to grow out of problematic behaviors. I believe in fairness and due process, so if you can figure out a way to protect everyone thatā€™s going to give all parties an opportunity to defend themselves, then Iā€™ll have your back.

Btw, hello boomer only annoys me because itā€™s not even my generation, but it is offensive nonetheless.

2 Likes

Letā€™s let people respectfully say they disagree with the LGBTQ+ movement but when it becomes derogatory action will be taken.

1 Like

To quote @king.fenik:
ā€œYou said it yourself earlier Dry, weā€™re not these peopleā€™s parents. Itā€™s not our responsibility to change people, nor should we expect them to.ā€

1 Like

At what point has the line between respectful and disrespectful been crossed? A trans person may find being told that ā€œbeing trans makes no senseā€ is disrespectful. And when does disrespectful become derogatory?

For instance, when you made your post that said ā€œĀ”LA HOMOSEXUALIDAD ES ASQUEROSA!ā€ would you consider that disrespectful or derogatory? You deleted that post, but clearly the intention was not a change of heart, but a desire to not face concequences. So what should the concequences for that be?

1 Like

Nor can you legislate morality, which is what youā€™re suggesting. Let me know when you suggest sticking up for age discrimination.

Iā€™m not sure how you can agree or disagree with something that in no way, shape or form, affects you in the least. People are what they are, itā€™s not anyoneā€™s place to fault them or pass judgement on what is strictly their own business.

1 Like

Lovely how youā€™re trying to make a joke out of me, but, to be honest, quite not funny of you.

ā€œMorality cannot be legislated, but behaviour can be regulated. Judicial decrees may not change the heart, but they can restrain the heartless.ā€
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Iā€™m not saying we should legislate Morality, Iā€™m saying we should regulate behaviour, and that, I believe, shall lead to the decline of unwanted things within this community.

You just havent got me banned yet. After all, you probably should forward it to tepertopia if you want me to get banned. Itā€™s really your choice. I am contradicting myself in the post you are quoting me in and agree with you that I was derogatory and disrespectful, so if you want to just report me and get me a ban from TSP, do what feels right for you. Also on the topic of my post, the whole point of it was to discourage people to do what I did, not to distance myself from what I did. Iā€™m not trying to excuse myself for my actions, instead trying to atone.(unless I am banned, in which case it will be time for me to move on from TSP)

Iā€™m glad we can agree that you crossed a line. But clearly you think like this.

But no, I havenā€™t told Tepertopia, what I want to know is: as someone who holds this opinion of homosexuals or at least a milder version of this opinion , what you think the consequence should be when someone does something like this?

A ban. If Orcuo got banned, so should all others. As I said in a RMB post, Me(and others) should keep their opinions to theirselves.

2 Likes

Okay yā€™all, letā€™s tone it down. Civility is key. Iā€™ll pose a new question soon.

1 Like