[IC] Qaz Lower Chamber

October 2022 General Election Results Announcement, 23 October 2022

Speaker: Order, order, silence in the room, please. The votes have been counted and the results are in. In last place, obtaining two Seats, is the Agrarian Party, led by Gordon Watts.

Agrarian Party: (Cheering)

Speaker: Order! In second last place, obtaining seventeen seats, is the Alliance Party, led by Shawn Flores.

Alliance Party: (Cheering)

Speaker: Order, order! In fifth place, with twenty-eight seats, we have the World Preservation Movement, led by Aden Patterson.

World Preservation Movement: (Cheering)

Speaker: Order, order! In fourth place, with thirty-four seats, we have the Incompetent Democratic Party, led by Stephen Spencer.

Incompetent Democratic Party: (Cheering)

Speaker: Order, order! In third place, with forty-six seats, we have the Tax Nobody Party, led by Lorraine Drake.

Tax Nobody Party: (Disappointment)

Speaker: In second place, with fifty-eight seats, we have the Modern Marxist Party, led by Cecil Walton.

Modern Marxist Party: (Disappointment)

Speaker: Order! Order! In first place, with one-hundred and fifteen seats, we have the Advanced Humanitarian League, led by Harold Garcia.

Advanced Humanitarian League: (Loud cheering)

Speaker: Order, order! Orderrrrr! Be- Orderrrrrr!!! No Party has secured the required Majority in Parliament. Therefore, the Party obtaining the highest number of Seats must pair with the next Parties after them to form a Government until the required Majority is reached. The pairing of the Advanced Humanitarian League and the Modern Marxist Party reaches that Majority. That means that our continuing Opposition is held by the Tax Nobody Party and that our continuing Opposition Leader is Lorraine Drake.

Opposition: (Disappointed but cheering).

Speaker: Order! The Government is, therefore, a Coalition Government, led by Cecil Walton and Harold Garcia. The two of you will have five minutes to consult each other now and decide in what order each of you are to serve as Prime Minister and for how long each. (Five minutes later) Order, order! It has been decided in the last five minutes, and agreed on by both Coalition Leaders, that Harold Garcia will serve as Prime Minister from 2022 until 2024 and then he will hand over to Cecil Walton from 2024 until the October 2027 General Election. This may well not be the course the next five years take but this is the current plan and so our new Prime Minister is Harold Garcia, Leader of the Advanced Humanitarian League. Congratulations, Prime Minister-elect.

Coalition: (Loud cheering).

Speaker: Orderrrrr!!! This is my final time serving you as your Speaker, I thank you all so much and I wish my successor as Speaker the best of luck. This concludes our results announcement. Congratulations to our new Parliament, Leader of the Opposition and Coalition Leaders, including the Prime Minister-elect. Order, order.

1 Like

Special Sitting, 6 February 2023, 8:35PM

Speaker: Order, order! Welcome to this evening’s Special Sitting of the Lower Chamber. This evening, we convene to announce the results of our Deputy Speakership elections. After this, we will proceed to our Adjournment debate.

(To the Clerk) May I have the result paper, please?

Clerk: (To the Speaker) Yes, Mister Speaker, one moment. Here you go.

Speaker: (To the Clerk) Thank you.

(To the Chamber) Order, order! Silence in the Chamber! In fourth place with fifteen votes, is the Honourable Willis Holt. In third place with thirty-five votes, is the Honourable Cordelia Reynolds. In second place with sixty-six votes, is the Honourable Virgil Waters. In first place with one hundred and eighty-four votes, is the Honourable Sidney Ward.

Parliament: Hear, hear!

Speaker: Order, orderrrrrrrrr! Sidney Ward and Virgil Waters are, therefore, elected Deputy Speakers of the Chamber. Minister to move.

Minister: Mister Speaker, the question is that Sidney Ward and Virgil Waters do take Office as Deputy Speakers of the Lower Chamber. Mister Speaker, I beg to move.

Speaker: The question is that Sidney Ward and Virgil Waters do take Office as Deputy Speakers of the Lower Chamber. All as are of that opinion, say aye.

Vast Majority: Aye!

Speaker: On the contrary, no.

Vast Minority: No!

Speaker: I think the ayes have it, the ayes have it. Order, order! I congratulate our two new Deputy Speakers-elect.

Speaker: Order, order, orderrrrrrrr! I now invite our two new Deputy Speakers-elect to come forward and to declare their resignations and to declare to the Chamber their intentions to become Independent in order to execute their duties completely impartially.

Deputy Speakers-elect: (Rise from their Seats and make their way up to either side of the Speaker’s Seat).

Parliament: Hear, hear, hear!

Speaker: Order, order, order! Not to parallel members’ enthusiasm! Mister Deputy Speaker-elect Waters.

Deputy Speaker-elect Waters: Mister Speaker, I declare my resignation from the Modern Marxist Party to the Chamber and I intend to become Independent as soon as possible in order to execute my duties as Deputy Speaker completely impartially.

Speaker: Order, order! Mister Deputy Speaker-elect Ward.

Deputy Speaker-elect Ward: Mister Speaker, I declare my resignation from the Modern Marxist Party to the Chamber and I intend to become Independent as soon as possible in order to execute my duties as Deputy Speaker completely impartially.

Speaker: Order, order! Deputy Prime Minister Walton.

Deputy Prime Minister Walton: Thank you, Mister Speaker. Firstly, I’d like to congratulate our two new Deputy Speakers-elect on their campaigns and their elections as our Deputy Speakers.

Deputy Prime Minister Walton: Mister Speaker, I’d like to thank the Right Honourable gentlemen for their contributions to the Modern Marxist Party and wish them well in their new jobs as Deputy Speakers and, as such, it is my pleasure to accept their resignations from the Party and to wish them well in their new positions in the Chamber.

Speaker: Order, I thank the Deputy Prime Minister for his acceptance of resignations. All rise now to welcome His Excellency to the Chamber to swear in our two new Deputy Speakers. President.

Parliament: (All stand in total silence and clap as the President enters the Chamber.)

Speaker: Order, order! I welcome His Excellency to the Lower Chamber. Members may sit.

Parliament: (All stop clapping and sit in silence).

Speaker: Your Excellency, the floor is yours.

President: Thank you, Mister Speaker. Mister Deputy Speaker-elect Waters, I ask you to declare your intention to serve this Chamber as truthfully, responsibly and impartially as you can.

Speaker: Mister Deputy Speaker-elect Waters.

Deputy Speaker-elect Waters: Thank you, Mister Speaker. Thank you, Your Excellency. I declare my intention to serve this Chamber to the best of my ability, as truthfully, responsibly and impartially as I can.

Speaker: His Excellency.

President: Thank you, Mister Speaker. Congratulations, Mister Deputy Speaker Waters. Mister Deputy Speaker-elect Ward, I ask you to declare your intention to serve this Chamber as truthfully, responsibly and impartially as you can.

Speaker: Mister Deputy Speaker-elect Ward.

Deputy Speaker-elect Ward: Thank you, Mister Speaker. Thank you, Your Excellency. I declare my intention to serve this Chamber to the best of my ability, as truthfully, responsibly and impartially as I can.

Speaker: His Excellency.

President: Thank you, Mister Speaker. Congratulations, Mister Deputy Speaker Ward.

Speaker: Order, order! I thank His Excellency for being here today and swearing in our new Deputy Speakers. All rise for His Excellency’s departure.

Parliament: (All stand and clap as the President leaves the Chamber).

Speaker: Order, order! Members may sit. I ask the Deputy Speakers to remain where they are, at my sides, and we shall now have some words of reaction and words of welcome. By video link, the Vice-President.

Vice-President: Thank you, Mister Speaker. The Vice-President of Qaweritoyu is not permitted to attend Lower Chamber ceremonies of Swearing, however, I always agree with the President and his work and I always assist him.

Mister Speaker, I have never met your two new Deputy Speakers but I know that this Parliament know good representation and direction when they see it and I trust they have made the right choice in electing these two Deputy Speakers and I say to them, congratulations, well done, and I look forward to seeing your work unfold in the time ahead.

Mister Speaker, I say to your Deputy Speakers that I have, however, met you and worked with you in the Higher Chamber and you are an incredible force in the Lower Chamber, you were in the past and you have been in the Higher Chamber too. Mister Deputy Speakers, the Speaker you are working with is an incredibly talented and very able politician and he will stand by you throughout your work as Deputy Speakers.

Mister Speaker, congratulations once again to your new Deputy Speakers and I look forward to a very interesting year of business in the Lower Chamber.

Speaker: I thank His Excellency for his input and kind words. As much as we have done, there is always so much more to do. Mister Deputy Speaker Wade.

Deputy Speaker Wade: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I thank His Excellency for taking the time to pop in and offer his input this evening. I appreciate the high praise he has paid and I appreciate you, Mister Speaker, and all the work you are doing and will go on doing for this Chamber.

Speaker: Order, order! Mister Deputy Speaker Waters.

Deputy Speaker Waters: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I side with Mister Deputy Speaker Wade and thank His Excellency for his kind words this evening. Now I know who to seek if I have any trouble.

Speaker: Orderrrrr! Time will tell if that is a wise decision! The Prime Minister!

Government: Hear, hear!

Prime Minister: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I just want to take this moment to congratulate the new Deputy Speakers. I have not worked with them for very long, Mister Speaker, only since October since we’ve been in Government in Coalition. In that time, I have got to know them both quite well, they have great work ethics, they never give up, they are inspirational politicians in the making, two pleasant young men. Maybe they are future Speakers.

Prime Minister: Mister Speaker, in the last Parliament, I sat as Leader of the Advanced Humanitarian League, the only member of the Party to be elected to these benches. I saw the Deputy Speakers working from afar in that Parliament and they are great statesmen and I look forward to getting to know them in their new capacities.

Mister Speaker, whilst I am sorry to see the Coalition’s Majority fall at the departure of the Deputy Speakers, I wish them luck in their new jobs.

Speaker: Order! I thank the Prime Minister for his input. I’m sure they are both future Speakers. As the other Coalition Leader, it is only right I move straight onto him before I seek reactions, Deputy Prime Minister Walton.

Deputy Prime Minister Walton: Thank you, Mister Speaker. Earlier, I said I was delighted to accept the Deputy Speakers’ resignations but this was only partly true. I am delighted to see them move on and become Deputy Speakers, I do share in their joy and the pride I have in them right now is beyond words but as colleagues, I have worked with the Deputy Speakers as colleagues since we were all elected to this Parliament for the first time in the 2017 snap General Election, under the leadership of the Right Honourable lady for Alton City East. Unlike my Right Honourable friend, the Prime Minister, Mister Speaker, I have known the Deputy Speakers very well for the past five years and I will miss having them on these benches with us as our colleagues. The Government is poorer for their departure but the Chamber is richer for their arrival.

Speaker: Order! I thank the Prime Minister and Deputy Prime Minister Walton for their inputs.

Doctor Joanna Barrett: Point of Order!

Speaker: Point of Order, Doctor Joanna Barrett!

Doctor Joanna Barrett: Thank you, Mister Speaker. As Deputy Prime Minister Walton rightly said, I was Leader of the Modern Marxist Party when the Deputy Prime Minister and our new Deputy Speakers were elected to Parliament, I was elected at the same time, I just wasn’t a backbencher, I was Prime Minister, I had less time to get to know backbenchers, however, I did eventually get to see backbenchers work and I do remember our new Deputy Speakers’ work, as the former Leader, I wondered if I might be permitted to speak, also, before they are called on for their reactions, please?

Speaker: (To the Clerk) Sorry, Mister Clerk, just need a clarification, as this is a Special Sitting, following the Order paper is non-negotiable, isn’t it?

Clerk: (To the Speaker) Normally, Mister Speaker.

Speaker: (To the Clerk) Do we have time to facilitate the Right Honourable lady?

Clerk: (To the Speaker) I’d say, given the circumstances, it’s fine, Mister Speaker.

Speaker: (To the Clerk) Thank you, Mister Clerk.

(To the Chamber) Order, order! The Clerk has spoken! Doctor Joanna Barrett!

Doctor Joanna Barrett: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I would like to congratulate you both, Mister Deputy Speakers, on your elections to your new positions and I have no doubts that you are about to change the way we view the Speakership for the better and our Parliament will be better for having been elected to our Speakership.

Mister Speaker, I would also like to commend the two new Deputy Speakers on their work with us as a Party and the way they set about serving our country. They brought a brightness and a youthfulness to the Government and that will be sorely missed. Mister Speaker, you have two bright, youthful Deputy Speakers now to enhance this Parliament and our work here.

Shannon Bean: Point of Order!

Speaker: Point of Order, Shannon Bean!

Shannon Bean: Thank you, Mister Speaker. My Right Honourable friend just implied that you and the two new Deputy Speakers are about to change the way Parliament is run. Are you about to change the way this Parliament is run?

Speaker: (To the Clerk) Mister Clerk, might I ask the Right Honourable lady to clarify what she said?

Clerk: (To the Speaker) Go for it, Mister Speaker.

Speaker: (To the Chamber) Order, order! I thank the Honourable lady for her Point of Order. Might the Right Honourable lady clarify what she said? Doctor Joanna Barrett.

Doctor Joanna Barrett: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I said they were about to change the way we see the Speakership, not that they were about to change the Speakership or change Parliament.

Speaker: Order! I thank the Right Honourable lady for her clarification and if that clears things up, I’ll move on. Mister Deputy Speaker Wade.

Deputy Speaker Wade: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I thank Deputy Prime Minister Walton and the Right Honourable lady for their inputs and their kind words. I did, of course, really enjoy my work within the Government and the Party but my talents are not to be put to use in another function in this Parliament and I look forward, very much, to that work.

Speaker: Mister Deputy Speaker Waters.

Deputy Speaker Waters: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I also thank Deputy Prime Minister Walton and the Right Honourable lady for their inputs. They have been great Leaders to work under, the Right Honourable lady was a great Prime Minister to me, as the Prime Minister is now, and I look forward to working with the incoming Prime Minister too.

Speaker: For a change of tune, the Leader of the Opposition.

Opposition: Hear, hear!

Opposition Leader: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I have to say, I didn’t really clash with the new Deputy Speakers because, as Leader of the Opposition, I mostly directly oppose the Prime Minister, it really is not my job to oppose backbenchers, that’s for our backbenchers to do, so I would never, really, have met the two new Deputy Speakers but I have been listening to our colleagues in the Government and it sounds like we have two new good Deputy Speakers who have a strong sense of duty and will do their best by us for the duration of their assignments as Deputy Speakers.

Speaker: I thank the Leader of the Opposition for her input. Mister Deputy Speaker Wade.

Deputy Speaker Wade: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I thank the Right Honourable lady for her input. She’s quite right, we never clashed, we never met. I suppose, indirectly, just given the Parties we work for, we did clash. I, of course, know more about who she is than she does about who I am because she had more of the action than I did, but that is only natural and comes from the role she holds in this Parliament now, for the second time. From what I have seen, she is a fighter, she does her best for the Shadow Cabinet and I hope I will continue to offer her the opportunities she has had to show her qualities until now.

Speaker: Mister Deputy Speaker Waters.

Deputy Speaker Waters: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I thank the Right Honourable lady for her input. Likewise, we never clashed either but, again, for obvious reasons, I have seen you in action more than you have seen me in action, however, something tells me that is about to change.

Parliament: (Laughter)

Speaker: (Laughing) I know! Fame at last! Order, orderrrrrr! The Leader of the Incompetent Democratic Party, Stephen Spencer.

Stephen Spencer: Thank you, Mister Speaker. Firstly, I’d like to congratulate the two new Deputy Speakers on their elections.

Incompetent Democrats: Hear, hear!

Stephen Spencer: Mister Speaker, it’s so refreshing to see younger politicians running for Speakership positions and, too, to see them elected, we know the future of our Speakership is safe. That’s not to say, Mister Speaker, that you are old, but the Speaker is usually an experienced figure, even if they have never held the Speakership before, I know you have, Mister Speaker, but Deputy Speaker is ideal for preparing potential future Speakers to become Speaker.

Speaker: Order! I hope Mister Deputy Speaker Wade and Mister Deputy Speaker Waters will not mind if I move straight on, that was more of a statement reacting to your youthfulness than speaking directly to you. The Leader of the World Preservation Movement, Marek McKay.

Marek McKay: Thank you, Mister Speaker.

Marie Ware: Point of Order!

Speaker: Order, order! I apologise for interrupting the Right Honourable gentleman. Point of Order, Marie Ware.

Marie Ware: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I also apologise for interrupting the Right Honourable gentleman. Are you able to just change the order this evening without a motion to Parliament?

Speaker: I thank the Honourable lady for her Point of Order. There are a few points to make in response to that Point of Order. Firstly, this is not one of our usual sittings and not on one of our usual days either so we are already out of order this evening. Secondly, I have been consulting the Clerk before changing the loose structure I have declared to follow for this sitting and if the Clerk ever advises me not to make a change for whatever reason, he will tell me, he has not done so this far. Lastly, there was nothing to react to, the Right Honourable gentleman’s statement was not speaking to either Deputy Speaker in particular, it was speaking to me and I responded to it. I will not call on the Deputy Speakers for the sake of it, especially when there is no need to and it would be a waste of time and I will not expect the Deputy Speakers to respond to the walls or thin air. Marek McKay.

Marek McKay: Thank you, Mister Speaker. As a former colleague of yours. You used to be a politician with us, I just want to put on the Chamber record that you are a valuable addition to the Speakership, as you were to our Party when you worked with us, both when we held the Majority and when, as now, we did not. I congratulate the new Deputy Speakers on their election and if they ever need someone to offer an ear to listen, a helping hand or someone to lean on, Mister Speaker is your man.

Speaker: I thank the Right Honourable gentleman, and my former boss, for his input. Mister Deputy Speaker Wade.

Deputy Speaker Wade: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I thank the Right Honourable gentleman for his input. I have been briefed many a time on how good you are, Mister Speaker, at your job and I look forward to working with you and to asking for your help if it is needed.

Speaker: Order. I don’t mind people singing my praises but preferably not in front of me. I don’t like compliments.

Caelan Ashley: Point of Order!

Speaker: Point of Order, Caelan Ashley!

Caelan Ashley: Thank you, Mister Speaker. Given that you now have two Deputy Speakers that will, no doubt, one day be Speakers themselves, should we not be exposing your talents for them so they know how much support is there for them?

Speaker: That is not a Point of Order, but I have noted the Honourable gentleman’s point. Mister Deputy Speaker Waters.

Deputy Speaker Waters: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I also thank the Right Honourable gentleman for his input. You are, I have seen, a very valuable addition to the Speakership and I hope that I can only enhance that Speakership for you and for this Parliament.

Speaker: Order! The Leader of the Alliance Party appears to be shaking his head. What’s he shaking his head at? Shawn Flores.

Shawn Flores: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I was shaking my head to let you know that I don’t really have anything to add. Congratulations to the new Deputy Speakers on their election. Everything else has more or less been said, I couldn’t stand here and repeat it like there’s an echo in the Chamber.

Speaker: I thank the Right Honourable gentleman for his input and I note his point. The Leader of the Agrarian Party, Gordon Watts.

Gordon Watts: Thank you, Mister Speaker. I’d also like to congratulate our new Deputy Speakers. I also side, Mister Speaker, with the Leader of the Alliance Party, I can’t think of anything else to say, everything else has been said. Although, Mister Speaker, my imagery is slightly different to his, I don’t liken myself to an echo but rather a parrot but the point remains the same as his.

Speaker: I thank the Right Honourable gentleman for his input. Order, order! We have now reached the end of this evening’s Special Sitting and we proceed directly to this evening’s Adjournment Debate. Mister Deputy Speaker Wade.

1 Like

Adjournment Debate, 28 February 2023 at 10:15PM

Deputy Speaker: Order, order, we’ve reached today’s Adjournment Debate after what has been a long day and, more importantly, a long term. We have a lot of business to vote on this evening, to be followed by a half an hour’s debate and adjournment. Each time adjournment fails, we will add ten minutes to the debate until adjournment passes. Tonight’s sitting will also decide what gets passed onto the Higher Chamber for further debate and consideration as we move into term two tomorrow morning.

Order! The motion is that hunting should be banned. Minister to move.

Minister: Mister Deputy Speaker, the question is that hunting should be outlawed. I beg to move!

Deputy Speaker: The question is that hunting should be outlawed, all as are of that opinion, say aye.

Majority: Aye.

Deputy Speaker: On the contrary, no.

Minority: No!

Deputy Speaker: Division! Lock! (To the Clerk) Madam Clerk, may I get the results of that vote, please?

Clerk: (To the Deputy Speaker) Certainly, Mister Deputy Speaker, one moment, please.

Deputy Speaker: (To the chamber) Order, order! Silence, please!

Clerk: (To the Deputy Speaker) Ready, Mister Deputy Speaker.

Deputy Speaker: (To the Chamber) Order! The Clerk.

Clerk: The ayes to the right, one hundred and eighty nine, the nos to the left, one hundred and eleven.

Deputy Speaker: The ayes to the right, one hundred and eighty nine, the nos to the left, one hundred and eleven, so the ayes have it, the ayes have it! Unlock! Motion two, Minister to move.

Minister: Mister Deputy Speaker, the question is that live animal research should be banned. I beg to move.

Deputy Speaker: The question is that live animal research should be banned. All as are of that opinion, say aye.

Majority: Aye!

Minority: No!

Deputy Speaker: Division! Lock! (To the Clerk) Sorry, Madam Clerk, that wasn’t clear either, may I get the results for that vote too, please?

Clerk: (To the Deputy Speaker) Of course, Mister Deputy Speaker. Ready.

Deputy Speaker: (To the Chamber) Order! The Clerk!

Clerk: (To the Chamber) The ayes to the right, one hundred and seventy-eight, the nos to the left, one hundred and twenty two.

Deputy Speaker: The ayes to the right, one hundred and seventy-eight, the nos to the left, one hundred and twenty two, so the ayes have it, the ayes have it! Unlock! Motion three, Minister to move.

Minister: Mister Deputy Speaker, the question is that we do ban Trident weapons in the country and go fully Nuclear. I beg to move.

Deputy Speaker: The question is that we do ban Trident weapons in the country and go fully Nuclear. All as are of that opinion, say aye.

Vast Majority: Aye!

Deputy Speaker: I think the ayes have it, the ayes have it. Motion four, Minister to move.

Minister: Mister Deputy Speaker, the question is that Trade Unions do accept migrant workers. I beg to move.

Deputy Speaker: The question is that Trade Unions do accept migrant workers. All as are of that opinion, say aye.

Vast Majority: Aye.

Deputy Speaker: I think the ayes have it, the ayes have it! Motion five, Minister to move.

Minister: Mister Deputy Speaker, the question is that the Clearhillian Free State be re-established. I beg to move.

Deputy Speaker: The question is that the Clearhillian Free State be re-established. All as are of that opinion, say aye.

Vast Minority: Aye!

Vast Majority: No!

Deputy Speaker: I think the nos have it, the nos have it!

Robbie Rahman: Point of Order!

Deputy Speaker: Point of Order, Robbie Rahman.

Robbie Rahman: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. Now that the Chamber has passed four out of five motions, what happens next?

Deputy Speaker: I thank the Honourable gentleman for his Point of Order. Shortly after the end of proceedings this evening, the Lady Speaker and Deputy Speaker Waters will meet and Deputy Speaker Waters will state what we passed and formally hand them over to the custody of the Lady Speaker and the Higher Chamber.

Violet Hodgson: Point of Order!

Deputy Speaker: Point of Order, Violet Hodgson.

Violet Hodgson: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. Why not you?

Deputy Speaker: I thank the Honourable lady for her Point of Order. It is not required to be me, I am not available for that handover, I have to rush off as soon as we finish here. If this evening’s debate goes on longer, Deputy Speaker Waters will replace me for the end of the debate. Adjournment debate begins. Mercedes Gillespie.

Mercedes Gillespie: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. As you know, my family and I have a long history with hunting in the family and have always done so respectfully, obtaining the necessary licence and so so in a safe place, away from people. We have enjoyed hunting as a sport and a source of extra food. Today marks the beginning of the end of an era. I, personally, do not agree with the banning of hunting. I think-

Krishan Reeves: Will my Honourable friend give way?

Mercedes Gillespie: Mister Deputy Speaker, I think regulations surrounding hunting are tight enough and incidents involving hunters and mistaken casualties are very low and that this is good for our practice. I am happy to give way to my Honourable friend.

Krishan Reeves: I thank my Honourable friend for giving way. Does he not agree with me that certain species are endangered and that they should be protected?

Mercedes Gillespie: I thank my Honourable friend for her question. I do agree, yes, but I don’t think hunters are the main cause of that endangering, I think that is more down to the environment and climate change at this stage.

Rosemarie Carson: Will he give way?

Mercedes Gillespie: He will, indeed.

Rosemarie Carson: I thank my Honourable friend for giving way. Does he agree, though, that hunting doesn’t help in the battle against climate change?

Mercedes Gillespie: I thank my Honourable friend for her question. Ah, yeah, of course I do, as a Party, of course, we do oppose hunting, I am simply stating that for me, personally, I do not disagree, necessarily, with hunting, but that I do not think the threat, these days, comes from hunters alone.

Deputy Speaker: Is the Honourable gentleman finished?

Mercedes Gillespie: Yes, Mister Deputy Speaker.

Deputy Speaker: I thank the Honourable gentleman for his input. Susannah Chase.

Susannah Chase: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. My Constituents will be delighted to see live animal research banned and, actually, may be shocked, as I am, that live animal research was not banned sooner. In 2023, surely this is far behind the rest of the world.

Rikki Kidd: Will the Honourable lady give way?

Susannah Chase: Yes, I am happy to.

Rikki Kidd: I thank the Honourable lady for giving way. I think we are all agreed that we have passed this Act far, far too late but does the Honourable lady not agree that it is better to pass this Act now than to kick it down the other end of this elected term and use it as an election tactic in 2027?

Susannah Chase: I thank the Honourable gentleman for his question. I agree, it was better to catch us up now than leave the Act even longer, but at this stage if we had left it to be a 2027 election tactic, we would be asking voters to kick us out of Parliament because 2027 is far too late for passing that Act, just as 2023 is. 2027 is worse.

Amani Chester: Will the Honourable lady give way?

Susannah Chase: Please.

Amani Chester: I thank the Honourable lady for giving way. I just wanted to mention, it’s not shocking that it was voted on until now, we have been discussing the issue for five years and opposition to the Act and reasons for opposition were given quite clearly, as the Prime Minister can confirm, so there were valid reasons why it remained legal and practiced. I just wanted to put that on record.

Deputy Speaker: Order, order, I apologise for interrupting the Honourable lady, would the Prime Minister like to confirm?

Prime Minister: I would, Mister Deputy Speaker. As the only elected MP from the Party to sit in this chamber in the last term, I can confirm the topic has been brought up a lot in the last five years and opposition did state very clear reasons for why they opposed the Act. The reason the Honourable lady might not have noticed is because last term, we could be forgotten about, this term, we’re in Government, so everything we do is noticed.

Deputy Speaker: I thank the Prime Minister for his input, especially as he did not have to be here this evening. Thank you. Susannah Chase.

Susannah Chase: Mister Deputy Speaker, I meant more from a social point of view, rather than a political point of view.

Deputy Speaker: And that is accepted and noted. Kristine Torres.

Kristine Torres: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. Is the Honourable lady giving way?

Deputy Speaker: Oh, sorry, I thought the Honourable lady was finished, is the Honourable lady finished? Susannah Chase.

Susannah Chase: I was finished, Mister Deputy Speaker, but I am happy to continue if others have inputs.

Deputy Speaker: Kristine Torres.

Kristine Torres: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. I just wanted to put on record that the reason the former Government did not pass the Act on live animal research was because we’re very much a Party trying to equal everything out for everyone and if there were people who benefited from live animal research, we were not about to take that from them.

Deputy Speaker: Someone has their eye on the top job. Susannah Chase.

Susannah Chase: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. I understand that, I am simply observing that the current Government has a few viewpoints represented and are, I dare say, better informed to make such decisions.

Deputy Speaker: I thank the Honourable lady for extending her debate. Arthur Singleton.

Arthur Singleton: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. My Constituents and I are delighted at the passing of the Trident Scrappage Act 2023. This is an Act we had planned to work on as a Party this year if we were still in Government and we are so it’s great that this Act has been passed. I know there was a big question over IVF Cadmium but we’ve been friends a long time, I’m sure something can be worked out.

Deputy Speaker: Order, order, that’s not for us to discuss. Anything concerning business with Izaakia is for the Government to discuss and the Minister of Foreign Affairs and outside that, it’s a matter for the President, it’s not to be discussed here by anyone else, given the significance of the issue and its sensitivity. Boris English.

Boris English: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. I understand we had a recent potential threat from one country during our October 2022 General Election which resulted in us closing the border with them but I hope that the Migrant Trade Union Act 2023 will work in their favour and that we will soon be ready to reopen that border. I did not read the passing of that act as simply passing a Human Rights Act, I saw it as indicative of a readiness to reopen that border.

Merryn O’Gallagher: Will the Honourable gentleman give way?

Boris English: Of course.

Merryn O’Gallagher: I thank the Honourable gentleman for giving way. I think, as my Party does, that we should, actually, strengthen customs on that border and close other borders, just to keep ourselves safe.

Boris English: Sorry if I sound slightly confused here, Mister Deputy Speaker, but why would you want to strengthen customs on a closed border? I give way to the Honourable gentleman.

Merryn O’Gallagher: I thank the Honourable gentleman for giving way. Strengthening customs merely ensures no-one can get from here to there and there to here.

Boris English: But, Mister Deputy Speaker, no-one can get through anyway, it’s closed. I must ask, also, in what way is closing all borders keeping us safe? I give way to the Honourable gentleman.

Merryn O’Gallagher: I thank the Honourable gentleman for giving way. in closing all our borders, we are keeping dangerous people and illegal immigrants out of our country and, also, we are doing our neighbours a favour, keeping our dangerous people to ourselves and illegal emigrants out of their countries.

Boris English: Mister Deputy Speaker, how would our imports and exports get through? I give way, I am intrigued!

Merryn O’Gallagher: I thank the Honourable gentleman for giving way. Our imports and exports can go and arrive via air or sea-

Boris English: No, they can’t, the borders are closed!

Merryn O’Gallagher: They fly OVER the border.

Boris English: Don’t be ridiculous, no-one flies over a border.

Deputy Speaker: Orderrrrr! Order! We are moving on. Arthur Singleton.

Arthur Singleton: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. I was never expecting to be called a second time. I think it would do us some good, this evening, before things get toxic, to look at the good that migrant workers do and why they come here in the first place. They’re not coming here to cause trouble, to drain resources and to steal jobs, we have plenty of Qans, i am sure, in their countries, some probably do cause trouble, drain resources and steal jobs but if you are going to use such terminology, then we are also causing trouble, draining resources and stealing jobs, we have to, we’re human and we need the means necessary to sustain life.

Mister Deputy Speaker, migrants do not just run away for nothing. They do not wake up one day and decide to run away, there is always a cause and, more often than not, it’s a safety issue or a health issue. Migrants are welcome here, Mister Deputy Speaker, and it is right they should legally be allowed to join a trade union because they are an us, not a them.

Deputy Speaker: Maison Simmons.

Maison Simmons: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. I am a bit shocked that we voted against re-establishing the Clearhillian Free State. It is clear they have a wish to establish themselves as their own Republic and we should be in a time and place where independence can be sought and granted without a rebellion and loss of life. I am saddened that the Government is still going to push Clearhillians to that limit.

Kade Chandler: Will she give way?

Maison Simmons: I’m happy to give way to the Right Honourable gentleman.

Kade Chandler: I thank the Honourable lady for giving way. I just want to take a moment to remind the chamber that Albert Clearhill fought for our independence from our former system of Government and established us as a Republic and we named that city after him. They cannot become fully independent at any time because the city we named after our founder is then independent, their own state. What are we, then, doing to commemorate our founder?

Maison Simmons: I thank the Right Honourable gentleman for his input. Surely, Mister Deputy Speaker, full Clearhillian independence can still be considered and thought about because, don’t forget, Clearhill is still part of the country that Albert Clearhill fought for, they can still claim him as a historical figure for their country, but nothing is to stop us naming a new town or city after him. Clearhillian independence is not a barrier to commemoration.

Deputy Speaker: Order. Kristine Torres to speak briefly on Motion Six before we put it to vote.

Kristine Torres: Mister Deputy Speaker, we have done a lot of hard work this term and I find that our Parliament is the better for the way you and Mister Deputy Speaker Waters and Mister Speaker Horn are running the Chamber, we are being very productive, politics last year seemed a bit slow at times. We now entrust these issues into the hands of our colleagues in the Higher Chamber and we continue to follow them with great interest.

Deputy Speaker: I thank the Honourable lady for her input on the Motion. Motion six, Minister to Move.

Minister: Mister Deputy Speaker, the question is that this Chamber do now adjourn. I beg to move.

Deputy Speaker: The question is that this Chamber do now adjourn. All as are of that opinion, say aye.

Majority: Aye.

Minority: No.

Deputy Speaker: Division! Lock! (To the Clerk) May I have the results prepared for announcement by you, please?

Clerk: (To the Deputy Speaker) Of course, Mister Deputy Speaker. Ready.

Deputy Speaker: (To the Clerk) Thank you. (To the Chamber) Order! The Clerk!

Clerk: The ayes to the right, one hundred and eighty-eight. The nos to the left, one hundred and twelve.

Deputy Speaker: I thank the Clerk for her input. The ayes to the right, one hundred and eighty-eight, the nos to the left, one hundred and twelve, so the ayes have it, the ayes have it. Unlock! Order, order!

Handover of the Acts, 28 February 2023 at 10:45PM.

Deputy Speaker: Lady Speaker, thank you for having me here today.

Lady Speaker: There is a strong bond and connection between our two Chambers and it is important that we always work together and be welcoming to each other.

Deputy Speaker: Likewise, Lady Speaker. On behalf of the Lower Chamber, I present you with the Acts we have passed in the last two months, for you, now, to bring to your Chamber and to debate and discuss and, of course, in two months’ time, vote on yourselves. We passed the Hunting Abolishment Act 2023, the Dead Animal Research Act 2023, the Trident Scrappage Act 2023 and the Migrant Trade Unions Act 2023. We now entrust these to you and your Chamber.

Lady Speaker: Thank you, Mister Deputy Speaker. We take up responsibility for these Acts and we will do our level best by them.