Flaming's Personal Pacifica Power Scale

Hello. Welcome to FPPPS- Flaming’s Personal Pacifica Power Scale. One of the things I’ve noticed- about rp in general- is how stats are unreliable measures of power. Stats in general tend to inflate in this canon, and some nations like to claim that they are more powerful than they really should be, considering events- or to have insane stats that nations of these sizes shouldn’t even consider. Some nations don’t have detailed wiki pages, too, so one must assess their power based solely on rp events. This is why I’m creating this- a sort of public place to record my opinions on what I’ve seen and gathered from nations in this canon. Some things to keep in mind:

This is all opinion. I don’t claim that this is the end-all-be-all to power assessment in Pacifica. If you want to use it to get a second opinion of sorts, cool, that’s okay with me, but don’t take this as 100% true facts- I will inevitably be refining many of these as I go, not only to reflect rp progression but as I reinterpret facts and encounter my own biases. I will be up front that I have a slight bias to rp over wiki stats, due to how common it is for wiki stats to not be representative of rp realities.

I am not rating People. Make no mistake. I am rating what I feel to be the impact of a nation IRP, not the roleplayers behind the nations, or, even, the quality of roleplay (although sometimes that may come into play). This brings me to my next point:

The goal of a roleplayer’s nation should not always be (and is often not) “be the strongest and most influential.” If a nation ranks as being weak on this list- that’s okay. The purpose of Pacifica is to create interesting narratives and worldbuilding, not to be HoI4. This just means that the nation isn’t strong- and it isn’t necessarily supposed to be. For some nations (I.E, Losavra, Krauanagaz) being the strongest and most competent would be actively detrimental to their narrative, removing any stakes. If every nation is a powerhouse superpower, there can be no stakes to world events. Similarly, if every war has no lasting repercussions besides border changes and government changes, the stakes are irrelevant.

Here’s some basic ideas as to how this will work.

There will be a rating scale for 3 categories: Military, Economic, and Diplomatic. Each will have a general rating, ranging from Dependant Power to Great Power.

Dependant Power - A nation that, in this category, is completely dependant on other nations to function.

Small Power - A nation that is weak in this category. It may have enough capability to stand on its own to a limited capacity, but would be susceptible to influence by a stronger nation or group of nations.

Middle Power - A nation that can stand on its own in this category. Despite this, it is not capable of very effectively projecting this power.

Regional Power - A nation that can not only stand on its own, but effectively project its power in a region. A regional power is not capable of effective global power projection in this category.

Projecting Power - A nation that not only has effective projection capabilities in its region but also limited global power projection in this category.

Great Power - A nation that is able to effectively project its power globally in this category.

(tired of the word “Power” yet? I am)

Each category will have subcategories. These subcategories are ranked on a slightly different scale to the main categories

Negligible
Weak
Mediocre
Middling
Good
Strong
Paramount

Rather than rating on power projection capabilities, this simply rates based on general quality. Some power projection obviously comes with quality, but not necessarily; for instance, an aircraft carrier will give more power projection ability, even if on pure power it would be equal to a number of smaller capital ships.

Military subcategories

Land Power
Naval Power
Air Power
Doctrine
Espionage & intel

Economy subcategories

Trade Influence
Domestic Industry
Natural Resources
Service
Infrastructure

Diplomacy subcategories

Soft Diplomacy (negotiation)
Hard Diplomacy (deterrence, intimidation)
Diplomatic Weight (how much opinion matters)
International Standing

This marks the end of the overview of this topic.

Update list May 2024

Cosmetic: Changed all instances of yellow to goldenrod to make it easier for light mode users to see.

9 Likes

Federated Empires of Ikaranara

(essentially an example since my own assessment of my own nation isn’t all that relevant)

Ikaranara is a state on Northeast Codilia along the Bay of Spiders. It is characterized by its history as the center of the Triangular Empire and as the premier Indavral State. Ikaranara’s history and circumstances have led it to be a powerful state in many aspects- but its entanglements and struggles keep it from being more than a regional power.

MILITARY: Regional Power
Land Power - Good
Naval Power - Strong
Air Power - Middling
Doctrine - Good
Espionage & intel - Strong

ECONOMY: Projecting Power
Trade Influence - Strong
Domestic Industry - Middling
Natural Resources - Paramount
Service - Middling
Infrastructure - Good

DIPLOMACY: Regional Power
Soft Diplomacy - Good
Hard Diplomacy - Strong
Diplomatic Weight - Mediocre
International Standing - Middling

OVERALL RANKING: Regional Power

Additional notes: While Ikaranara’s military is decently strong, putting it into the Regional Power category, its entanglements with both securing the national security of Past and dealing with terrorists in Losavra have meant that at times, it can be overextended. Therefore, the main military deterrence it possesses is its navy. Ikaranara’s most notable weakness would be that it is rather reliant on trade due to its economy being based on exports. This means that international sanctions could have a heightened effect on Ikaranara, especially if oil-hungry countries are in on the sanctions.

8 Likes

Imperial State of Ryccia

Ryccia_no_ripple

Ryccia is a large state bordering Ikaranara, Past, Losavra, Sugovia, Valora, and Yttria. It has two overseas territories; one in the Central Islands, called the Siculites, and one on eastern Keyli, called Irkyia. Ryccia has been known for its strong military and was once considered a world power- but recent instability has hampered their international reputation and some of their capabilities.

MILITARY: Great Power
Land Power - Strong
Naval Power - Paramount
Air Power - Paramount
Doctrine - Strong
Espionage & intel - Strong

ECONOMY: Projecting Power
Trade Influence - Strong
Domestic Industry - Strong
Natural Resources - NEI (Not enough information)
Service - Strong
Infrastructure - Good (due to Rycco-Cordilian War; would be Strong otherwise)

DIPLOMACY: Regional Power
Soft Diplomacy - Middling
Hard Diplomacy - Paramount
Diplomatic Weight - Good
International Standing - Weak

OVERALL RANKING: Projecting Power

Ryccia as a state used to be a Great Power- However, modernly, it has suffered from the international ramifications of the Rycco-Cordilian War and the Ryccian Junta in general, its economy and showing the stress of war, while states like Ikaranara retain some bitterness about the Junta’s actions and project these feelings onto the current Ryccian government, giving it a certain skepticism that is hard to shake off- Yet, if Ryccia is able to remain stable, regain its international standing and restore its economy to former glory, it will be able to rise to the status of a Great Power once again.

OOC notes: Ryccia, while being an important nation, does not have very good wiki documentation. This led to some information (I.E natural resources, full title of nation, thank you KingTEM) to be hard to find, so I was mostly going off my own RP experiences with the state.

6 Likes