Expanding GC eligibility

Should we expand membership in the Great Council, with the caveat that the Chair of the GC be vigilant about denying foreign interlopers?

I think we can pair an expansion of eligibility with removal of inactive participants like I proposed previously.

We could do this by allowing anybody to submit an application to join. Or we can do another round of people who were legislators as of X date are eligible to participate.

1 Like

I would be in favour of either option. It would make sense to let legislators who may have joined the region in good faith, without even knowing that there was a Great Council, to get the opportunity to have a vote in its proceedings now that they are in the region. Obviously the idea of Chair review should remain, but the overall principle of more more open than restrictive makes sense.

I would like to revive interest in this thread, as it was pointed out in the discord that the current wording of the convening resolution allows all citizens to apply for membership, but does not mention legislators who joined the Assembly after May 31, 2022.

Okay, here are drafts for the two options:

Eligibility Expansion

1. Mandates that legislators of the Assembly holding valid status at the time this resolution is motioned to vote shall automatically qualify for participation in the Great Council, and that all participants must maintain order and decorum.
    a. Determines that non-legislators members of The South Pacific not automatically qualified may petition the Chair of the Great Council to participate, and that those petitions shall be granted upon determination of the Chair (or Deputy Chair, in the Chair’s absence) that the petitioner does not pose a threat to the security or decorum of the Great Council, and that the petitioner does not possess significant conflicts of interests or the appearance of bad faith.
    b. Requires the Chair of the Great Council to publish and maintain a list of qualified participants.
    c. Permits any participant to raise a point of order that another participant is violating order or decorum, including acting on behalf of a foreign influence, to be judged by the Chair of the Great Council who may then expel a violating participant.
    d. Further permits any participant to motion to overrule the Chair of the Great Council (or Deputy Chair, in the Chair’s absence) in regards to their determination under 3(a) or 3(c.), which shall be adopted by majority vote.
    e. Reasserts that all extant proscriptions and administrative bans remain in effect throughout the Great Council, and that participation in the Great Council shall not be used in defense against any proscription or administrative or moderator action.

Eligibility Expansion + Inactive Participant Removal

1. Mandates that legislators of the Assembly holding valid status at the time this resolution is motioned to vote shall automatically qualify for participation in the Great Council, and that all participants must maintain order and decorum.
    a. Determines that non-legislators members of The South Pacific not automatically qualified may petition the Chair of the Great Council to participate, and that those petitions shall be granted upon determination of the Chair (or Deputy Chair, in the Chair’s absence) that the petitioner does not pose a threat to the security or decorum of the Great Council, and that the petitioner does not possess significant conflicts of interests or the appearance of bad faith.
    b. Requires the Chair of the Great Council to publish and maintain a list of qualified participants.
    c. Permits any participant to raise a point of order that another participant is violating order or decorum, including acting on behalf of a foreign influence, to be judged by the Chair of the Great Council who may then expel a violating participant.
    d. Further permits any participant to motion to overrule the Chair of the Great Council (or Deputy Chair, in the Chair’s absence) in regards to their determination under 3(a) or 3(c.), which shall be adopted by majority vote.
    e. Reasserts that all extant proscriptions and administrative bans remain in effect throughout the Great Council, and that participation in the Great Council shall not be used in defense against any proscription or administrative or moderator action.
    f. Determines that after each vote, the Chair of the Great Council will disqualify any participant that failed to cast a vote or note their abstention. Removed participants may petition for re-admittance under rule 1a, but may not do so if they have already been disqualified twice before.

I think that would cover the conflicting demands for active membership, while also allowing new members.

The second option works better. No point to keeping members if they’re not going to participate.

I like the first option, and like I said last time you proposed the second option, I feel like I would be punished for having RL obligations. I don’t see the point of only allowing you to re-apply two times if you’ve been kicked.

I’m cool with the inactive clause because all things considered, one can still debate and do everything but vote even not as members of the GC (afaik). If one is kicked out and can’t rejoin (or was never allowed to join in the first place aka me) they can still participate so it’s fine.

Because voting is unimportant?

I’d like to motion voting on the 2nd proposal “Eligibility Expansion + Inactive Participant Removal”

I am not 100% sure if I need to, but I second.

The motion is recognised and will be brought to a vote on Sunday, October 2, 2022 2:00 PM.

1 Like

Personally? Yeah pretty much. Debate and discussion on matters like these is far more important than the vote itself. Being able to find an innovative solution to a problem is almost always achieved by the combination of many peoples working together, and I’d much rather a better solution than more people voting on it.

1 Like

I would say that the right to vote on proposals that are supposed to dramatically change the region itself is pretty important.

The second one makes sense, I’m not as big a talker as some, but if you sign up, you should be responsible enough to vote.

1 Like

I don’t think it isn’t but the ability to be able to participate in discussion is arguably more important is all I’m saying. And if you are someone who isn’t able to be constantly active, sometimes that’s fine.

Uh, where do we vote exactly? Will like another thread be created for voting or do we just vote here?

[AT VOTE] Please know that the amendment has been put to a vote. Participants may cast their votes here.

1 Like