Delegate Griffindor and the Prisoners of Pie (A Reelection Thread)

“Welcome to another election in the South Pacific!” … “As you will all be aware … our region is presently playing host to the person known as Roavin, who is here on the NationStates business of tracking down escaped pie-eaters.” :pie_tspie: … “Roavin is not to be fooled by offerings of pie or other inferior desserts … it is not Roavin’s nature to understand pleading or excuses. I therefore warn each and every one of you to give him a reason to question your undying commitment to cake.” :cake:

Part of the Start of Term Feast, as given by Professor Griffindore :mage: in Max Barry’s: Delegate Griffindor and the Prisoners of Pie :magic_wand:

Greetings, my fellow South Pacificans

It has been exactly one year since I first came before you, seeking election to my first term as Delegate. Boy, has it been a fun ride! The trust and responsibility you have entrusted me with for the last year was one of the most gratifying, and I am honored to have been given a second term. That is why I am coming before you today to respectfully ask and make my case for a third (consecutive) term, which has not happened in this region since Tsunamy’s Delegacy in the immediate aftermath of the Cabinet Coup of 2016. Great things have happened this past year, and I look forward to showcasing them and identifying items of attention I have for the next six months. Without further ado…

Looking back…

Endos
I currently have roughly the same number of endorsements now as I did when I first ran for Delegate. I campaigned originally (and again for reelection) to increase that count. While the raw numbers indicate stagnation or decline, it is important to note that overall nations (and thus WA nations) within the region have declined by around 1,300 total nations in the same timeframe, which puts us at the lowest number of recorded nations ever.

The good news is that the ratio of WA nations endorsing the Delegate increased from the mid-70 % range to 82% in the last year, demonstrating that my WA endorsement efforts are working.

Mods
I carried out all lawful orders that various officials (CRS, PM, etc.) ordered me to perform expeditiously. Further, I occasionally exercised my moderator abilities, suppressed posts, and banned spammers, all within the region’s guidelines. More importantly, I trusted my RMB Moderators to handle the RMB, which they have done most admirably since the abolition of the Local Council nearly two years ago.

Telegrams
Since their first release, I have consistently sent out my Fortnightly Telegrams, which provide non-forum/Discord residents with a glimpse of what is going on in the region. Additionally, over the last year, I have exchanged telegrams with hundreds of nations and assisted them with understanding how the game works, even getting many of them to join the forums and Discord.

Cake
I have consistently taken the OWL/PM recommendation for WA matters and voted accordingly, and, in the vast majority of times, in the first hour of the vote being open. My second-term goal for the WA included giving the Delegate more of a mandate to influence WA matters, specifically by ensuring that the OWL/PM had their ducks in a row.

Despite my best efforts, the region was not interested in expanding the scope of the Delegate’s role in the WA… which is OK with me! Luckily, @lordnwahs proved to be a more than capable OWL Director and did a noble job getting OWL working again and issued prompt and regular recommendations while allowing residents to create well-drafted written recommendations. The WA program is better off for it, and I am grateful for their work! I hope that such a good administration will continue.

Overall, I firmly believe that my Delegacy thus far has been a highly successful endeavor. I also believe that, as @HumanSanity said a year ago, I demystified the position to a significant extent. Moreover, the region today is likely safer today than it was a year ago, and with a proven and trusted steward in the hot seat, I see no reason why that security should end in my next term.

Looking forward…

I do not have any further goals to give beyond ensuring that my original agenda continues to be implemented. I intend to continue developing various traditions (such as the State of the Coalition), serving as an advisor to the Prime Minister, and giving advice and guidance to new and existing nations to strengthen our region in the long run.

That is all! I will now take any questions that y’all may have! And, as always, don’t forget the cake (or Roavin might find you)!!! :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake:

Conflict of Interest Disclosure:

My forum/Discord name is Griffindor, and my only current nation is Ebonhand.

• I have been in TSP on and off since 2014.
  • I was a Local Council member circa 2016.
  • I was the Chair and Vice-Chair of the APC (did I trigger anyone? :wink: ).
  • I am an Associate Justice on the High Court.
  • I am a member of the Coral Guard.
  • I was elected as Minister of Engagement twice.
  • I am a member of the Citizenship Committee.

The nations Griffin, Griffindor13, Ebonhand 2, Ebonhand 3, Ebonhand 4, and Ebonhand 5 are/were under my control.

Other regions:
I was a citizen of Balder from 2018-2020 and was the Lawspeaker/Talman of the Storting/Odelsting (the Chair of their Assembly).

9 Likes

You’ve mentioned guidance a lot in your campaign. As Delegate, you are the face of the offsite government to gameside players. Per your campaign, you get a lot of telegrams or messages from young or interested nations regarding the political opportunities in the region.

The guidance (through messaging) you’ve mentioned in your campaign seems to be more informal rather than being part of a larger program. Would you be willing to reconstruct a formal mentorship program if reelected? You know this concept well. Or do you think informal guidance (separate of a program) is a better strategy for engagement and integration? When it comes to your job as Delegate, it seems like this concept of guidance should be centered around young and interested nations who ask questions.

You have a weighted role in this situation as Delegate, which I think could be extremely helpful.

The formal program was launched overly bureaucratic and a chore to keep going. I handled all the admin myself and went to each mentor asking them for updates. Most mentors never got very far with their mentees and most mentees didn’t engage.

I see no reason for me to reform such a program. However, if a future Minister of Integration wanted to make a structured program, I’d be happy to take part and serve as a mentor.

Allowing nations to ask questions organically is the best form of mentorship there is, and it’s what I’ve done since I became Delegate.

1 Like

Agreed. Thanks for your response.

Do you think Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders?

They are good at finding the secret passage to the kitchens…!