A-259: Element 119 (Cascadium)

Cascadium

Properties

Atomic Number: 119

Mass number 313-329 (Shifts Between)

Electrons per shell: 2, 8, 18, 32, 32, 18, 8, 2 (Predicted)

Phase at STP: Solid

Melting point: 503 Kelvin

Boiling point: N/A (Readily Combusts boiling)

Density: 8.3 g/cm^3

Natural occurrence: Naturally Occurring

Crystal Structure: Body-Centered Cubic (BCC)

Named For: The Planet Cascadia

Cascadium, or referred to in most scientific circles as Element 119, is a naturally occurring Alkali metal in most Terrestrial planets, that is extremely volatile when not in contact with a Neutralizer Agent, Silicon, or any Transition Metals (With Exception to Periods 6-7).

Cascadium in Power

Cascadium is inherently unstable, holding the current highest Atomic Number and Mass Number. As such, special precautions must be undertaken to prevent it from cracking the world its being harvested from. For example, Companies in Blazefelt Pass will wait for a naturally formed fissure before attempting to even extract the material.

In order to safely move Cascadium around, Neutralizer Agents (Like H3Xe2Si9) have been developed, which are shown to bind to the Body Centric Cubic Structure of Cascadium, leading to it becoming temporally Inert, allowing for easy transportation in Atmosphere, or exoatmospheric, should the need arise.

Cascadium Generators are generally made of W2Si8Al4, a special compound that can resist the intensive heat of a Cascadium Reaction. Cascadium Reacts naturally with air, so once Cascadium (stripped of Neutralizer) is placed into the Generator usually with another Reactant (Thorium or Neptunium), it immediately reacts, leading to intense heat and pressure, which allows for a small feedback loop to form, allowing for the reuse of the Material for 20~ Years or so, before the pressure becomes to high, requiring the Pressure to be relieved, in a Process known as Venting. However, this releases Cascadium-Thorium Fusion Byproduct, extremely toxic and is extremely hard to clean up.

3 Likes

—Addendum 1—

Cascadium in Weapons

I can’t believe I have to make this

“ALCON ALCON THIS IS FAV VERONICA III TO ALCON WE ARE EXPERIENCING A BREAKDOWN IS CASCADIUM REACTIONS OUR VENTS ARE BROKEN MOVE AWAY FROM THIS VESSEL IMMED–”

–Audio Transcript following a runaway Cascadium Reaction aboard FAV Veronica III.

Cascadium is dangerous. So, of course, someone finds a way to make the deadly thing more dangerous.

Examples of Cascadium Usage in conflicts

Cascadium Kill Vehicle (CKV) - Launching Cascadium into the mantle of another planet, triggering a butterfly effect whereby the planet cracks due to intense pressure by ever sustaining uncontrolled Cascadium Reactions.

Failing to SCRAM/Vent your Reactor - Your Reactor is hit. Congratulations! You have to dump the reactor yesterday. Well what if I let the reactor explode?

(SCRAM STANDS FOR SAFETY CONTROL ROD AXE MAN AND I WONT HEAR OTHERWISE)

What If: I don't SCRAM my reactor.

Here’s what’ll happen

Firstly

Everyone and everything on the thing carrying your Cascadium Reactor, is now dead.

Secondly

Everything within five kilometers of the vessel is now gone.

Thirdly

Everything nearby to it (5-12 Klicks) is now burnt (Armor Gone), on fire, and your Damage Control Teams are going to have a lot of nasty things to say to you, if they survived.

Fourthly

Everything in a 12-20 Klick Range is damaged slightly.

Fifthly

An EMP extending out forty kilometers happens, disabling shielded technology and outright destroys unprotected.

Cascadium Armor - Inert (preferably Depleted) Cascadium makes fairly good Armor.

Cascadium Rounds - 100, 120, 250, 450, probably has a Depleted Cascadium variant of it. They’re really rare (due to having to shift through a metric fuckton of Cascadium-Thorium Fusion Byproduct) but it does exist.

this list is incomplete: You can help by expanding it

No, you don’t get any of this. CKVs are not allowed (or beg Mantiss for it, I’m just the maker of this wonder material)

2 Likes

—Addendum 1.1—

Please do not weaponize your Cascadium Reactors. They are expensive. Only do so in emergency situations. Losing a warship fight does not mean you can just blow your reactor. Although effective, these machines cost millions of Silver to make, implement, and operate. Do not make the Cracked World of Cascadia die in vain because you wanted to win a fight.

–United Cascadium Mining Council of Blazefelt Pass

3 Likes