[2411.AB] Resolution to Restore Regional Accountability

While I appreciate you riding so hard for my case I feel like comparing a shitty browser game coup attempt to legitimate harmful anti trans legislation might be taking it a couple steps too far.

Make fun of this for being unneeded and kinda silly eight years later- that feels plenty

1 Like

Fair.

I can promise you that nothing about the post-coup period was done ā€œwith graceā€. It was a very difficult time that was made even worse by forcing the parties most affected to accept the amnesty else weā€™d be seen as standing in the way of reconciliation.

Iā€™ve said my piece. Any further replies would be me just parroting what I already have said. I have no further comment on this topic at this time.

I have a question about voting eligibility. @KrisKringle @lordnwahs @Siberian

The Charter of the Coalition of the South Pacific enumerates the various powers and privileges of various classes of participation in TSP and how they interact with one another. Section III deals with the basic rights and freedoms of members and then subsequent sections and additional constitutional law seem to flow from those basic rights and freedoms. Which makes sense.

CCSP III (6) A member of the Coalition is a player with a nation within the South Pacific.

CCSP III (4) No member may be denied the right to vote or hold office, unless prohibited by constitutional law.

Iā€™ve looked around and canā€™t find anything that says a player must be a citizen to vote on proposed legislation. There is language in the Legislative Procedure Act that describes the processes for proposing legislation and conditions and limits on who can do so and language that describes the processes for selecting, nominating and holding various positions and titles that preclude mere membership but I see nothing anywhere that precludes any player, so long as they reside in TSP and a constitutional act has not been made upon them, from voting for or against proposed legislation.

Is that right? Like, as a member of TSP gameside I have a right to vote on this matter regardless of any subsequent status conferred or denied? So does @Siberian. So does anyone else who is a member of TSP gameside?

Is that right?

You must be a citizen to vote in elections and become a legislator, and you must be a legislator to vote on legislation

Gotcha. Yes. Must be a citizen to vote in elections or to become a legislator, sure. But voting on proposed laws seems to be open to everyone in TSP. Can you share with me where that is that says otherwise?

Citizenship Act - Assembly / MATT Duck Law Archive - The South Pacific
Legislator Act - Assembly / MATT Duck Law Archive - The South Pacific
Legislative Procedure Act - Assembly / MATT Duck Law Archive - The South Pacific

Thereā€™s probably something else thatā€™s not posted here or that I canā€™t find, since I imagine the concept of only legislators voting on legislature has been around for a while

Ya Iā€™ve read all of those. Not there I donā€™t think.

Let me put it this way. Are there legislators in your irl country?

Yes and they are elected by the people that they serve and ostensibly represent. I donā€™t know that that is a fair comparison. Given that gameside has no representation after the removal of the three RMB folks, perhaps constitutionally all gameside folks now have a right to vote in the legislature.

I dunno. Maybe I should vote and then submit a request to the High Court. But maybe I am missing something.

What do you mean?
First of all, I am a rmb guy, second of all, as frustrating as this answer is (trust me, I know), there is nothing stopping them from joining the assembly. Also, who are these ā€œthree RMB folksā€ that got apparently removed?

I think they were called regional officers.

I presume youā€™re talking about the LC? We very much still have regional officers
NationStates | The South Pacific Regional Control

Also, iirc, the LC had nothing to do with legislative processes

Oh ok. nvm that then.

Incorrect. The Assembly is voting on this matter, and the Assembly is comprised of all legislators, of which you are not.

1 Like

Iā€™m just curious where it says that in the law? All I can find is that all members have the right to vote unless constitutional law says otherwise.

Feel free to look harder at the Charter. In particular, IV.1, IV.4, IIi.7, and III.6.

1 Like

CCSP IV(1) The Assembly holds supreme legislative authority in the Coalition, and is comprised of all eligible legislators.

Yeah, sure.

CCSP IV(4) All citizens of the Coalition are eligible to attain legislator status through an application. Continued legislator status requires compliance with all applicable requirements as specified by law.

Okay.

CCSP III(7) A citizen of the Coalition is a member of the Coalition that has applied for and been granted citizenship while maintaining the requirements for citizenship. 1. A standing committee of citizens will be tasked with granting and revoking citizenship status. The requirements to apply for, maintain, and revoke citizenship will be codified by the Assembly in a law.

Got it.

CCSP III(6) A member of the Coalition is a player with a nation within the South Pacific.

Uhuh.

None of these deals with the right to vote, which is given as a fundamental right to all members residing in TSP, regardless of classification, described in CCSP(4).

CCSP III(4) No member may be denied the right to vote or hold office, unless prohibited by constitutional law.

Feel free to look harder.

From what I can tell, the only lawful function that has been set out for a legislator is to draft and propose law while the voting on whether or not to accept the proposed law appears to be reserved to the membership of the TSP.