[2411.AB] Resolution to Restore Regional Accountability

I think this is complete nonsense, on both legal and political grounds. Whats worse, it’s dangerous nonsense.

To start with, Kris’ recent assertion that the Assembly Resolution to Restore the Coalition of the South Pacific was repealed is just that - an assertion - with no legal basis whatsoever. His assertion is currently subject to a case in the High Court, which may or may not sustain it but acting as if this is fact is grossly premature.

More broadly, this is very clearly written with reference to an active Court case and on the basis of seeking to invalidate a potential ruling if the Court finds in a manner that the authors don’t agree with. The problem with that is the Court can’t do it’s job if people try to amend the law under review during a case, as it throws the whole matter into confusion. And in this case - and I cannot emphasise this enough - the Court has not actually issued a ruling and no one (outside of Griffindor and myself) knows what the ruling is going to be. It’s still being drafted.

If people really want to go down this kind of avenue we might as well just abolish the Court, because if instead of waiting for a ruling people are going to start changing the law to meet their desired outcome of a case there is no point in having a Court.

I’m genuinely shocked that the Chief Justice would be involved in bringing something like this forward, actively undermining the Court he leads.

1 Like