[2403.HR] Review of the Rejection of Siberian Districts' Citizenship Application

Your honors,

I am requesting the recusal of Justice Belschaft from this case pursuant to Article 3(3) of the Judicial Act.

Justice Belschaft’s assignment to this case has always been suspect, given the role that he played in the 2016 coup. The potential security risks of Siberian Districts’ conduct during that coup is a central question in that case. However, I chose not to request Belschaft’s recusal previously, given the history of constructive engagement and service he has had to the High Court.

Circumstances have changed because of Belschaft’s recent comments on ProfessorHenn’s proposed [2411.AB] Resolution to Restore Regional Accountability.

While Belschaft is entitled to share his thoughts as a legislator in the Assembly on any question, including this one, two specific parts of what Belschaft publicly stated render him unsuitable to hear this case.

First, Belschaft clearly frames the Assembly resolution, which he states opposition to, as in opposition to a potential direction of ruling the High Court could pursue. (A premise which, I will note, is not an inherent “given” and seems legally debatable.) I will quote Legislator Belschaft directly, with emphasis added:

Second, Belschaft clearly states that one of the arguments made by Kris Kringle in an amicus brief in this very Court case has “no legal basis whatsoever”. Quoting again, with emphasis added.

A Justice cannot impartially rule in a case where they have already spoken in the Assembly on the outcome of one of the legal points raised. This is especially the case when they not only cast doubt on a possible legal interpretation but state emphatically that the legal interpretation is “with no legal basis whatsoever”.

If Justice Belschaft cannot separate his preconceived opinions about Siberian Districts, the 2016 Cabinet Coup, the subsequent amnesty vote and its legal validity, and current legislative debates, then it is unacceptable for him to be a presiding Justice in this case.