[2351.AP] Elections Act Reform

I have to say, I really like this idea. This might also make the whole competing bills part of the Legislative Procedure Act actually relevant again if there’s multiple people standing :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m opposed to this. The voting systems we use are each chosen because they fit the specific positions they elect ‒ with IRV for the more political office of PM focusing on majoritarianism, and AV for the Delegate/Chair relying on consensuality more ‒ and I think those are distinctions worth keeping.

But, I think the “troublesome” part of AV ‒ assuming that’s the confusion over and subsequently spoiling of the ballots ‒ could be taken care of by instead using the Expanding Approvals method. It’s sort of a ranked approval vote, using ranked ballots and rounds like IRV, but counting preferences in an AV-style ‒ until a candidate (or two, in case of the Delegate election) has majority approval, ballots are considered to continually approve the next-preferred candidate in addition to all before them (so a ballot 1. A, 2. B, 3. C would count as having approved only A in the first, A and B in the second, and all three in the third round).

This could eliminate the spoiling of ballots by confused voters and standardize ranked-ballot voting on the forums, all while keeping the consensus-oriented approach to the Delegate election that AV provides. Would this be something that people here could support? I know I sometimes get carried away when talking about electoral systems :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like