[2312.AB] Change in the Legislator Status Requirement

Eligibility currently consists of applying to become a legislator, undergoing a security check, and maintaining voting requirements once admitted into the Assembly.

Eh, I mean what changes have been proposed that have a major effect

The proposal is that the Prime Minister be able to appoint anyone a Minister - anyone at all, they wouldn’t even need to have a nation in TSP - but that a new and rather nebulous “Eligibility Committee” of three people will be elected and given an arbitrary power to deem people eligible or ineligible to be a Minister or run for Delegate.

Its just a really silly idea in general.

Belschaft put it nicely. Now, under this set of law, the Prime Minister could appoint anyone as a Minister. This means they could be a resident of a foreign region but still get to be in the regional Cabinet.

Yes. History, good behavior, having your nation on the TSP… I can specify things if that’s better.

I can specify things if you prefer.

1 Like

But there will be specific reasons why someone is ineligible, of course. I was thinking of putting this in the act to specify and require the Eligibility Committee to consider justifying their rejections.

Why form the Eligibility Committee anyways? Why not specify a certain set of criteria for any potential Cabinet Minister to have and let the Assembly decide (through an approval vote) their competency?

This is actually a good idea.

I would love it if you specified what the standard criteria are.

If you look to the real life process where ministers are appointed not elected the requirements are differing depending on nation but all have one theme, the fact you are a current prominent government member.

I do support the Idea of a Committee

It’s hard to control the Assembly’s actions, of course, I bet many will turn down the Minister just because they don’t like him, but a committee makes the process simpler and easier anyway, since if the Assembly had to analyze each one, it would take a long time…

Aye

I don’t want to speak for anyone here, but I think the point is that the Assembly should be able to turn down a minister they don’t like. Other than that, there should be a few requirements to ensure security and eligibility such as with residency requirements (at they very least).

Turning down a minister “they don’t like” is how the Assembly determines a minister is or isn’t fit to serve. Allowing the Assembly to vet ministers, and taking some time to do such, is not a fault in the system in my eyes.

3 Likes

May I remind you ministers aren’t elected anymore.

If you could, please, that would be very appreciated.

I did some changes. Please check it.

The changes don’t do anything to make this a less terrible idea.

What exactly makes the idea terrible? Sorry, I didn’t see your previous comment, I’ve been a little inattentive these last few days.