[2248.AB] Assembly Committee Act [Incomplete Proposal]

Assembly Committee Act
An Act of Establishment for Assembly Committees

1. Scope of Assembly Committees

(1) Assembly Committees are represent an organized group of legislators, which convene to establish a recognized institution, for the sake of modernizing legislative jurisdiction.

1. Convening of an Assembly Committee may be introduced by any active legislator and/or an Officer inn the Coalition.
  2. Assembly Committees receive the status of a recognized institution upon a recognition of the Chir of the Assembly.
  3. An Assembly Committee Is effective upon receiving the recognition.

(2) Assembly Committees are convened for a specific purpose.

1. Goals and methods of the Assembly Committee must be described in their convention.
  2. Depending on the nature of the purpose, an Assembly Committee may be convened or recognized as a permanent or temporary Committee.

(3) Assembly Committees may be convened by request of the Chair of the Assembly or any other Officer in the Coalition.

1. If the Assembly Committee is convened by request, the requesting Office is responsible for providing the specific purpose for the desired Assembly Committee to achieve, along with the goals and methods which this Committee is to use in achieving the specified purpose.
  2. If the Assembly Committee is convened by request of the Chair of the Assembly, its recognition as an institution is reduntant, from which, such an Assembly Committee needn’t receive a recognition from the Chair of the Assembly to initiate its duty.

2. Structure of Assembly Committees

(1) The constituents of an Assembly Committee include;

1. Commissioner of the Assembly Committee
  2. Bureaucrats of the Assembly Committee

(2) The structurre of an Assembly Committee convened by legislators is to be determined by the legislators which participate in its convention.

1. Assembly Committees convened by legislators may adjust their structure, including constituents of said Committee, by 2/3 majority of the convening legislators and a recognition from the Chair of the Assembly.
  2. Changes to the structure of such an Committee are to be addressed as “Reorganization”.
  3. Reorganizations of Assembly Committees mustn’t include an adulteration of the purpose by which said Assembly Committee is guided, not the goals and methods of achieving this purpose.

(3) The structure of an Assembly Committee convened by the Chair of the Assembly or any other Officer of the Coalition is to be determined by the Chair or Officers which requested for the convnning of this Committee.

1. Assembly Committees convened on the request of the Chair or any other Officer, may adjust their structure, including constituents of said Committee, by either consent of 2/3 maority legislators operating within such a Committee or by its dissolution.

(4) Duties of the Commissioner and the Bureaucrats of the Assembly Committee.

1. The Commissioner is chosen by simple majority of legislators involved in convening the Committee; alternatively The Commissioner is chosen by simple majority of the Office involved in requesting of convening the Committee.
  2. The Commissioner is tasked with briefing members of the Assembly, the Chair of the Assembly, relevant Offices as well as citizens on the workings and accomplishments of the Committee on a monthly basis.
  3. The Bureaucrats of the Assembly Committee are chosen by: The Commissioner, simple majority of other legislators in the Bureaucracy of the Committee, the Char of the Assembly or the Office of the Coalition which requested for the convening of this Committee.
  4. The Bureaucracy of the Assembly Committee is obligated to work towards completing the purpose for which the Committee was convened, using provided goals and methods, as well as vital communications with Offices of the Coalition which are related to the purpose by which the Commtttee was convened.

3. Oversight over the duties of recognized Assembly Committees and their dissolution

(1) Membership in an Assembly Committee does not yield a legal role.

1. All members of an Assembly Committee continue to hold their role and position outside of the Assembly Committee; which is to say that all members of an Assembly Committee are expected to hold the role and position of a legislator.

(2) Duty of the Assembly Committee.

1. The Assembly Committtee, once recognized, is obliged to publicly proclaim its initiation to all of TSP.
  2. The Assembly Committee answers to; citizens of the Coalition, legislators which are not members of the Committee in question, the High Court, and the Office of the Chair of the Assembly.
  3. Office of the Chair of the Assembly is to act as a connecting medium between other Offices of the Coalition and the Committee in question.
  4. Extraordinarily, the Committee in question answers to the High Court, which excercises freedom to determine justiciability of a case relating to the Committee and the specific case relating to it, by precedent.

(3) The Assembly Committee is dissolved in the following events.

1. The purpose for which the Committee in question was convened has been fulfilled.
  2. The purpose for which the Committee in question was convened has continuously failed to be fulfilled.
  3. In the instances that the Committee in question was convened by request of an Office of the Coalition, the Office in question may dissolve the Committee by its own discretion if this dissolution is recognized by the Chair of the Assembly.
  4. The Committee in question has been found guilty before the High Court.
  5. The Office of the Chair of the Assembly may dissolve the Committee on its own discretion.

4. List of recommended Assembly Committees to be formed

HS presented this idea in the GC around August. I presented the idea of working together on drafting this, though I’ve yet to get a reply from them. Naturally, as the forums are my only channel of communication with both the Assembly and other Offices, I chose to attempt doing it myself.

Everyone seems to accept that, not only was a law regarding Committees drafted but that it was already in effect. This is the reason why I left the recommended List unfinished.
The idea behind this draft was to offer the basic framework for Committees to exist, which is why it might seem very minimalist. Reading others mention the Committees, it seems that such a law is favorable.

I haven’t read this yet. I’ll take a thorough look when I have the time, but support for the general concept.

Could you explain this?

Trust me, this draft is the very antonym of “minimalist”.

This proposal has been assigned its appropriate identifying information.

— Deputy Chair of the Assembly

1 Like

Observing conversations in the Assembly and in the GC; When Assembly Committees are mentioned [lightly, usually as an example or in a list], the attitude displayed is that of the Committee idea has already been codified and is operational.

Where have you seen that?

It was tossed around while I was still an active participatory of the GC by @HumanSanity , @Pronoun , @maluhia, @Sandaoguo and @im_a_waffle1 (IIRC, though might be mistaken).

Anyway, here an “operational” proposal, an attempt of a skimmed-down one.

Assembly Committee Act

An Act of Establishment for Assembly Committees

1 . Definitions, Function and Scope.

(1) Assembly Committee is a registered group within the Assembly, consisting of legislators.
(1)-a. A registered group infers that an active monthly Registry list of Assembly Committees be provided by the Office of the Chair.

(2) Function of an Assembly Committee is determined within its Administrative Document, which is to be a topic thread upon it’s proclamation.
2-a Primary functions of Assembly Committees is to provide a framework for volunteer legislator participation in providing assistance to the regular functioning of The Coalition.

(3) Scope of an Assembly Committee is determined within its Administrative Document.
3-a An Assembly Committee may expand its scope beyond the limitations set in the Administrative Document.

2 . Composition and Formation

(1) Assembly Committees are composed of legislators who have volunteered to participate in said Assembly Committee on its Administrative Document thread.

(2) Interior organization is to be determined by the Legislator Committee on its Administrative Document thread.

(3) All Offices of The Coalition may suggest the formation of an Assembly Committee, goals of which are to be laid of on the Offices own Administrative Document.

3.Dissolution

(1) Assembly Committee ceases to exist when:
1-a: It’s function and/or goal have been complete.
1-b: The Committee members determine it is no longer relevant.
1-c: Officers who suggested its creation determine it is no longer relevant.
1-d: It is left without members.

4.High Court:

(1) Assembly Committee is not considered a legally or politically autonomous institution.
1-a: Members of Assembly Committees provide information and possibly answer to actions deemed justiciable by the High Court as a legislator and not Committee member.

Quick question, this proposal doesn’t mention any leadership with regards to Committees. How would Committees be led? (E.g. Joint leadership among committee members, Chair or Commissioner possibly?) Or would this be laid out in the Committees proposed Administrative Document?

Thanks!

I was on the fence with that, though two factors pushed me towards Administrative Document:

– Given the expected* diversity each Committees purposes, I think it’s best to allow flexibility in their self-organization.

– Having a procedural document such as the A.D. minimizes (or at least signifies the possibility of) inter-player conflicts within them. This in turn, makes them more efficient at completing their task.

[*] Diversity of Committees is assumed because of different interests & experiennces of different legislator. On a personal note, I don’t see the motivation behind forming Committees with the same goals, unless regional politics become alarmingly unstable.

I don’t think you are correct in that regard.

1 Like

I know I am, I might be wrong on particular users.

Do you have any feedback regarding the proposal itself?

1 Like

You may be getting confused with the fact that certain people thought the Assembly already had an inherent power to establish committees, which is different from thinking that a law to that effect was already in place.

I think your proposal focuses too much on bureaucracy and not enough on figuring out how the process might work best in practice. For example, is there a particular and practical use to the provision that says "changes to the structure of such an Committee are to be addressed as ‘Reorganization’?

My advice would be to consult with various legislators about what use they see in committees and how they would like to see them implemented. This has the double benefit of helping you figure out how the law should be drafted and also gauging the level of support that it could have.

On that note, I get the impression that you are conflating committees with commissions. Those are not the same, and it would be good to know what exactly you can in mind, and others have in mind, when discussing this topic.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback.
Just as a notification, I think I’ll be working from the yesterday-published proposal outline more than the originally presented one in the topic thread.

What is the inherent benefit in enshrining committees under this act, as opposed to letting them establish organically as either autonomous groupings of legislators, or at the direction of the Chair of the Assembly?

The reason for institutionalizing it is for clarity in terms of both “which groupings exist” and “what their purpose is”. Stressing the latter, having it tied to a document provides operational information about it already, which avoids unpredictability.

It also provides a legal framework for (as Kris noticed): “standing commissions” be suggested by any Office in The Coalition; possible “special commissions” for a specific goal and “oversight committees”.

The revised proposal purposefully doesn’t differentiate between the bodies by itself as to avoid both bloat in the Registry; And as to provide the Committee members with freedom of choice in regards to what they wish to participate in.

Closed due to inactivity per the Legislative Procedure Act , Article 1, Section 6.