[2239.AB] Updating the Times Act

Dispatches not a source of authority.

Iā€™m not sure if there is a point to the Times Act.

1 Like

I donā€™t think you ever have, but my goal here is only to change the act so itā€™s not requiring a BBcode that no longer exists, not to get into another never-ending debate over the necessity of treating everybody like kindergartners because 2 or 3 legislators get overly upset about missing a vote.

We can now set votes to close automatically after a set amount of time, so there shouldnā€™t even be space for any complaints. You can pass the amendment, but the fact remains that the Times Act is addressing concerns that this new forum has made obsolete.

1 Like

Shall we abolish the Times Act altogether, then?

1 Like

I donā€™t see a reason why we need to. Given the legal cases that have in the past stemmed from deadline notices, regulating them is still a good idea in my book.

This is a very simple amendment, guys. I donā€™t know why itā€™s generating any level of debate. This law codifies best practices so that government officials are posting deadlines in a consistent manner. All weā€™re doing with this amendment is updating the BBcode.

Seeing as there has been no active debate for 19 days and the draft was posted 1 month and 2 weeks ago;
I motion to put this to vote if thatā€™s agreeable with the author @Sandaoguo.
For the record, I agree with the amendment because as it simplifies the deadline process for everyone (or at least, mostly everyone).

Itā€™s been a while, but Iā€™m going to try and revive this (with some minor modifications).

Times Act

An act to establish a common timezone a time standard for all official deadlines

1. Scope

(1) This act applies to all legal deadlines used by government entities in the South Pacific.

2. Official Timezone Time Standard

(1) All legal deadlines posted on the official forums that establish a specific hour and minute must use the official Time bbcode, to ensure displayed times are shown in local timezones use the built-in ā€œdateā€ code functionality.

(2) All other legal deadlines posted in other venues shall contain a conspicuous link to a countdown timer using the Time and Date Live Countdown Timerand a conversion to London, New York, and Sydney using the Time and Date Time Zone Converter, regardless of what timezone is utilized in the official notice.

(3) (2) When publishing non-legal deadlines, conformance to this act is strongly encouraged.

Addendum - Example of Compliant Date & Time Codes

• Individual date & time: [date=2022-12-06 time=11:30:00 format="LLLL z" timezone="America/Los_Angeles"]

• Date & time range: [date-range from=2022-12-06T11:30:00 to=2022-12-06T11:30:00 format="LLLL z" timezone="America/Los_Angeles"]

Anyone have anymore thoughts on this? If not, I motion Pronounā€™s draft to vote.

Seconding the motion.
(Not privy on whether this is still needed).

We are now at a vote!

Click Me!

This amendment was passed by the Assembly, and the debate thread is being closed per the Legislative Procedure Act , Article 1, Section 9.