[2238.AB] Amendment to the Charter, Section IV, Clause 2

If the status quo works, why not codify it the way it actually works? After all, we would be taking away the incentive of winning re-election.

That would be an option, but it would touch on several acts and the Charter, so it might be better to repackage the whole thing.

Does a Chair have to win an election? It should be a fairly apolitical position - you donā€™t want them to be making promises they canā€™t keep to an electorate who donā€™t understand they canā€™t keep those promises, or treating political allies better than enemies. If thereā€™s no defined end of term, you should only have people in the position until they become a problem, and itā€™s not codified as any form of ā€œraceā€.

1 Like

The Chair has been an elected position for years.

Sorry, I misspoke. Does a Chair have to regularly win elections to continue their legitimacy?

I like this idea. They get voted in, they serve for as long as they feel they should or until voted out. No regular elections held every few months for every role.

Politicization of the office of the Chair has not been an issue so I am not sure why people are acting as though it is.

2 Likes

Iā€™d agree with Comfed. Those who run for Chair obviously are invested in the Assembly and donā€™t care about the politicsā€” they just care about the formatting of discussion and votes. Now, Iā€™m the case where one seems to be unqualified for the position or is obviously not the right choice for the post, we should be smart enough to not vote for. An emphasis on ā€œshould be.ā€

Kind of like the Supreme Court of the US, right? And I barely have any faith in that judicial body anymore, mainly because its lack of term limits.

Though these arenā€™t the same thing, theyā€™re under the same idea: this ā€œserve as long as you wantā€ thing is quite problematic.

Then donā€™t include them. An IRL judiciary has very little in common with regular elections for the Chair.

Why do you find it problematic? Legislators who run for Chair are aware that their role is primarily ceremonial and administrative.

1 Like

What about this?

https://tspforums.xyz/thread-10276.html

It makes me laugh every time.

However, if thereā€™s no problem with the office of the Chair being political, whatā€™s the point of this?

Thatā€™s a campaign for Prime Minister, not Chair.

I donā€™t see a need for a regular election for a position that isnā€™t political.

1 Like

Yeah it isā€” but an example overall!

Genuine question, because Iā€™m not quite following ā€” what point are you trying to make with a joke campaign that didnā€™t even make the ballot?

1 Like

Sure- they didnā€™t make the ballot. But itā€™s an example of a, well, different type of campaign!

How is that related to whether or not we should hold regular Chair elections?

1 Like

Itā€™s not related, at all.

It was related to a point I made about candidates running for any political office.

I struggle to see the link between ā€œsome guy ran a joke campaign onceā€ and ā€œwe might vote for someone unqualified.ā€

I read a reply from someone about moving this to a complete ā€œ(re)packagingā€ draft; bad idea. However, here are all the currently active laws which mention the Chair:
ChairAll_laws_involving_the_Chair.pdf (19.6 KB)

Why do you think so? It was presented as an option, not the end goal of this particular discussion.