Weissersteiner state visit to Pelinai [IC]

12:35PM, October 3, 2022. Royal Palace, Pelograd, Kingdom of Pelinai.

Prime Minister Aleksei Makarov - Pelinai’s head of government was wearing a black business suit with a white dress shirt and a burgundy tie for this meeting. Pelinese culture mandated the wearing of a burgundy tie to important negotiations, and the meeting to proceed in this room would be important indeed. Weisserstein is caught between the pulls of its old friend Pelinai and its newfound “comrades” in the League of Cordilia. The alliance has been haphazardly thrown together only recently, and now could be the only opportunity to pry Weisserstein out of the League’s sphere of influence without significant damage to its friendship with Pelinai.

We can only pray that the Queen hasn’t given Müller any foolish assurances.

“Good afternoon, Chancellor. I’m sure the Queen has given you more pleasantries that you know what to do with, so I think it best that we cut to the heart of the matter: I’m sure your government has noticed by now, but we and the Pelinese General Staff have some concerns regarding the League of Cordilia.”

As the scene unfolds, there sits a 45 year old man of average height and similar attire to the Prime Minister in a chair beside him. The man, Minister of Foreign Affairs Boris Akirov, dutifully makes a transcription of the meeting while watching it as if supervising the conversation.

You are wasting your time, Makarov. The Queen has no doubt given Müller an ironclad assurance of a second chance for the League; one that you have no hope of defying. One unkind word towards you from Queen Izumi will crush Centrist Democratic’s chances in the next election and you know it.

2 Likes

“Surely, Prime Minister Makarov. Let’s just cut straight to the matter at hand.”

The Chancellor takes a seat and immediately cuts to the chase

"Let me begin by apologizing on behalf of the League of Cordilia for any less than favorable comments regarding Pelinai.

I’m sure none of those comments are directed personally towards Pelinai and the Pelinese people."

The Chancellor knows convincing Prime Minister Makarov and Foreign Minister Akirov is going to be much more of a task than convincing Queen Izumi, and a simple apology on behalf of the League isn’t going to cut it for both of them. Nevertheless, the Chancellor’s hopes remain high. Surely they can all find a compromise on this issue.

for now, let’s see where things go

2 Likes

Prime Minister Makarov opens a binder on the table and briefly reviews its contents before addressing Chancellor Müller. “While we will gladly accept such an apology from one of our most esteemed allies, Chancellor, the problem unfortunately runs much deeper than some unkind remarks from civilians or opinion writers in League nations. The consensus among the Pelinese General Staff and State Parliament is that certain constituents of the League of Cordilia harbor the intention of using the alliance to further imperialistic ambitions in the wider region of South Pacifica. Furthermore, we believe that the League intends to enact these ambitions by engaging in regime-change wars and gunboat diplomacy under the pretense of ‘fighting imperialism’ and ‘collective defense.’ A recent public statement by the Peony of Huawan in which a League member used the outbreak of the Rycco-Cordilian War to announce its ‘subjugation’ of foreign nations that are opposed to it lends further credibility to this belief. The other members of the League have also displayed a tendency to misrepresent Pelinese and other opposition to these aims as complacency towards and/or support of the Ryccian military government and its multitude of wrongdoings.”

The Prime Minister pauses to leaf to another page in his binder before continuing. “I will refrain from mincing words, Chancellor. The League is not, has never been, and never will be the collective defense treaty that it claims to be. All of its behavior up to this point has been judged by the Pelinese State Parliament to indicate a deliberate deception of the international community regarding the League’s purpose and a willingness of various members to use the atrocities of the Ryccian Junta as a club with which to beat down nations that see through this deception. It is therefore our wish, Chancellor, that you formally withdraw Weisserstein from the League with all possible haste. We hold a great deal of respect for your nation, and we would like to see you avoid the harm to your international standing, your economy, and possibly your people, that will inevitably come from continuing to associate yourselves with the League of Cordilia.”

Boris Akirov continues to keenly observe the meeting while taking his notes.

Müller’s apology is surely a mere formality; I would expect him to be aware that Makarov will not back down so easily. Makarov, on the other hand, seems to think that he can convince Müller and Weisserstein to withdraw from the League.

2 Likes

Chancellor Müller takes a deep breath

as expected, this is going to be quite the task

"I understand that you, and possibly many in Pelinai, have concerns regarding the League. I will admit, the strong and aggressive language used by the Peony during her declaration leaves so much to be desired, and the unsavory twisting of criticism against the League is an unfortunate case of misunderstanding and misinterpretation, and I hope that the League would become more open towards criticism and would view these criticism in a more open light, the sooner the better.

While your concerns aren’t out of thin air. There are several valid points regarding your concerns. I would, unfortunately, have to decline your request."

The Chancellor takes another deep breath. this meeting is gonna be a long one

"While I see where you, the Pelinese Parliament, and the Pelinese General Staff are coming from. These concerns came exactly during the Junta’s invasion of Doge Land. While the foundations of the League are… shaky, and leaves much to be desired, there is one thing on every member’s mind, collective security.

The first negotiations regarding the League back in September saw several countries came in with their own plans and agenda. However, the security and stability of Cordilia was amongst the forefront, and almost all members agree regarding that.

I respectfully disagree with the claims that the League is promoting an ‘imperialistic agenda’ and enacting it through. These claims all came flooding in after the Junta invaded Doge Land. And I would like to point that out. The Junta invaded Doge Land, not the other way around. To claim that the one being attacked, invaded, and occupied as having an imperialistic agenda is, apologies for a lack of a better term, an insult to injury."

that was a lot to get out. While I know both Makarov and Akirov aren’t so easily swayed, I still have high hopes that they would see the League in a slightly better light, and that all this misunderstanding can be sorted out peacefully

3 Likes

Prime Minister Makarov sighs as he opens yet another page of his binder.

Müller, you fool. Can you not see that you and your nation are being used?

"While the Kingdom of Pelinai understands the impulse to back your neighbors as they fight off the clearly barbaric Ryccian regime, Chancellor, we must vehemently disagree with your argument that the League of Cordilia cannot be imperialist because Ryccia struck the first blow. Merely existing next to the Ryccian Junta does not automatically clear a nation of corrupt intentions. Additionally, we have enumerated multiple occasions in which the League has used Ryccian aggression as a justification and a concealment for its own stated ambitions. Furthermore, we must again state that our concerns have nothing to do with the Rycco-Cordilian War and everything to do with the League’s own stated intentions. Your arguments in this area are unconvincing.

Makarov pauses before continuing. “Most of all, Chancellor, we strongly disagree with your assertion that our hostility towards the League of Cordilia is based on a misinterpretation or a misunderstanding. Our assertion is based upon a document officially published by the Peony of Huawan, one of the League’s primary members. Huawan has not issued any correction with regards to its statement, which the State Parliament interprets as an indication that Huawan does not at all believe that its statement was ‘misunderstood.’ Neither was the passage in question serving what could be called a legitimate purpose in the aforementioned statement. This passage openly declares Huawan’s intention to, and I quote, ‘subjugate and neutralize’ what it refers to as ‘foreign belligerents that are against Huawan and her allies.’ This passage does not enumerate who these ‘foreign belligerents’ are. This passage does not enumerate what acts of belligerence these nations will need to have done in order to be classified as ‘foreign belligerents.’ It certainly isn’t limited to nations that engage in military aggression against the League because both Valora and Ryccia are already named separately. This passage is vague in both targets and the method by which it designates them and can be used to retroactively declare anti-League nations as ‘foreign belligerents’ and justify military force against them. Without a clear enumeration of who can be classified as a ‘foreign belligerent,’ it becomes a trivial matter for Huawan to continually declare ‘preemptive strikes’ against nations it wishes to crush. Because Huawan has not and continues to not issue a correction or clarification for its statement, it is the opinion of the Pelinese State Parliament that this vague wording was intentionally written as such in order to facilitate these retroactive declarations.”

Makarov quickly produces another page of notes as he continues to speak: “You state that ‘collective security’ is the, and I quote, ‘one thing on everyone’s mind.’ I ask that you point to the article in the League’s nonexistent treaty that states this. I ask that you point to the article that states the League’s commitment to ‘the security and stability of Cordilia.’ I ask that you point to the article that clearly restricts military intervention by the League to the collective defense that it claims to be its only purpose. There is absolutely nothing stopping the League of Cordilia from behaving in the manner that we predict and everything indicating that it will. As representative of the Pelinese State Parliament in this meeting and as representative of the Kingdom of Pelinai in this meeting, I restate its formal request that Weisserstein withdraw from the League of Cordilia with all possible speed.”

As Makarov makes his statement, Akirov scribbles hastily in his notepad as he tries to keep up.

Is that truly all the persuasion that you can muster, Müller? Makarov has come prepared with a battery of notes and arguments; did you not do the same?

3 Likes

The Chancellor takes another deep breath and contemplates his next move.

He’s at a disadvantage and he knows it. He’s apologizing in behalf of people who didn’t even bother to correct their mistakes. There’s no use trying to convince Prime Minister Makarov. He’s not Queen Izumi. And unlike the Queen, he’s much less likely to give the League a second chance. It would be almost useless to keep on enforcing the idea of misunderstanding and misinterpretation. But he can’t just give up here… or can he? At this point, he felt nothing but the world closing in on him. It’s all pointless.

And at the center, that damned declaration by the Peony. It made everything far worse.

“Fine…”

my heart skipped a beat saying that

“What would you have done in my place, Prime Minister? I’m open for any compromises.”

2 Likes

Makarov closes his binder.

Müller is becoming defensive; continuing to press the issue in this manner will no longer yield results. He has, at least, now stated that he is willing to compromise on the issue; I should take this opportunity to break some of the ties between Weisserstein and the League.

“Müller, please don’t take this meeting or my demeanor the wrong way. Pelinai is a good friend of Weisserstein, and has been for decades now. We do not wish to give you ultimatums, or dictate your foreign policy, or force you to make difficult decisions like this. But this is an exceptional situation, and the League has forced our hand in this matter. We are not requesting that you leave the alliance because we are afraid of losing influence but rather because we understand that the League of Cordilia intends to lead you and your nation down a path that you do not wish to tread. If you do not wish to leave the League, then that is your choice as Chancellor of Weisserstein. But please, for your own sake, at least do it in a way that limits your exposure to any potential retaliation against the League for potential aggression. All we ask in this case is that you declare your participation in the League of Cordilia’s collective defense agreement to be limited strictly to cases of clear self defense. If the League is truly the defensive organization that it claims to be, then such a declaration should be a non-issue for them. Otherwise, you can be assured of Pelinese military and economic assistance against any ploys the League decides to execute. Additionally, the State Parliament formally recommends that Weisserstein keep the Peocracy of Huawan at a safe distance. It is the nation that has most clearly demonstrated itself to possess malicious intentions regarding the League, and allowing it to bind you to itself diplomatically, economically, or militarily will come with a grave price. Again, Pelinai reiterates its willingness to provide assistance to Weisserstein in the name of protecting it from any possible League retaliation. We also request that you minimize the amount of military command integration and intel sharing that you grant to the League. Finally, we of course request that you refuse to grant any military assistance or economic engagement to any League nation that behaves in an imperialistic manner.”

Makarov looks at Chancellor Müller. “You previously asked me what I would do if I was in your position. My response is that I would take the deal being offered to you right now. This is the best package that I can grant you with the current circumstances; it allows you to remain in the League and not anger your neighbors while still minimizing contact with what we see to be a corrupt organization. Chancellor, please see reason. We understand that you think the other nations of the League to be your allies, but we do not believe that this is the case. All we ask is that you take reasonable steps to protect yourself from unnecessary risk.”

Akirov observes the meeting with no discernable expression.

From the stick to the carrot, Makarov? I suppose that it makes sense for Chancellor Müller. The non-integration policies will alienate Weisserstein from the rest of the league, which was likely the reason Makarov requested them in the first place.

2 Likes

Listening to Prime Minister Makarov telling him what to do probably made him look weak in the eyes of the International community. But, he knows he needs compromises. He needs to keep Weissersteiner-Pelinese relations warm while maintaining relations with fellow members of the League of Cordilia.

the compromises seem reasonable, though some seem quite excessive

“Very well, I will put your comprise into consideration. Now, perhaps it’s also your turn to compromise regarding Pelinai’s position with the League?”

Weisserstein is compromising on its position in the League, so it would be fair for Pelinai to compromise its position regarding the League

"While I know the perception of the Pelinese people won’t just turn 180 degrees overnight, I want you to give the League a second chance. The League is new, let it grow up and mature.

I can’t vouch that the League would be the best intergovernmental organization ever conceived in human history, I can’t vouch that it would become the organization that we both hope it becomes, I can’t vouch that the organization and it’s members would mature. But what I can vouch is that none of those would happen if we don’t do anything about it. Everyone, yes, even intergovernmental organization, deserves a second chance."

maybe not everyone, but that’s not the point right now

“So please Makarov, give the League another chance. Another chance to redeem itself, another chance to fix its mistake.”

2 Likes

Makarov nods at Chancellor Müller’s proposal. “That seems reasonable enough. The Pelinese State Parliament will put your compromise into consideration.” After saying this, he checks the time on his pocket watch. 1:30PM.

That meeting took longer than I thought. Still, we did manage to make some progress with Weisserstein.

“It seems that the time has come for this meeting to finish, Chancellor.” Prime Minister Aleksei Makarov and Minister of Foreign Affairs Boris Akirov get up from their seats and walk Chancellor Müller to the door. “I believe that this discussion has been very productive, Chancellor Müller, and I hope that you enjoy the rest of your visit to Pelograd.”

FM Akirov takes over for Makarov after he finishes his last sentence. “As do I, Chancellor. I look forward to planning the Queen’s visit to Kaiserslicht in the future, and to ever more cordial relations between Weisserstein and Pelinai.”

Even though, as I recall, neither you nor Prime Minister Makarov actually agreed to any concrete actions. I suppose that this at least allowed Makarov and Müller to resolve their argument without making serious concessions or causing a more severe diplomatic conflict, but whether either party intends to actually fulfill any of the mild “commitments” that they made here remains to be seen.

2 Likes