The name A1-0, a possible naming convention and its implications

omw to move far more rimwards, again (I Shall acquire the Rimwards Spinwards corner if it’s the last thing I do)

2 Likes

Also, if we move the atlas off the map, does that give more antispinwards room?

I’m fine with either option, but I like the idea of increasing the plot sizes. That provides us with the chance to have much more frontier space in our territory, and I also like the idea of some overlap with another sector.

You do realize that the Sector is currently built to have a 0.009 star per cubic lightyear density, so if we halved that, it would not have positive effects

Keeping it as 0.009 is more realistic, and way less problematic

Yeah, increasing plot size seems like the best option for me too

Then @Qwert we should also calculate the new max amount of stars a plot can have (since the Sector is now 1000 ly tall)

I should stop doing these calculations when I’m tired :stuck_out_tongue: The current stats for A1-0 (1.08 million stars in 3,400x3,400x100 ly^3) actually gives a density of 0.0009 stars/cubic light year which certainly isn’t enough. Not sure at which density tidal effects start to become a factor, but perhaps it would be safe to go with 0.004?

How do you mean? In the left or right image?

the atlas (the thing that at the bottom)

Ah, the legend that has the distance bar, map name etc? Moving it would provide more space, but there’s an agreement that antispinwards from the SSK there aren’t any significant star nations.

1 Like

I was summoned? /s

Not really: open clusters or even globular clusters with much, MUCH higher densities are still safely habitable, and the stars inside of them are still speculated to have planets around them. That’s because even two stars being half a lightyear away are still very very VERY far from one another (for reference, 1 lightyear is equal to 63241 AUs, and the sun’s heliopause ends at 90 AU)

I was thinking of making it so that there aren’t many star nations at all in the region surrounding A1-0, apart from NEECs, some LEECs and a few MEECs. It would just make everything easier, while also making the whole situation of no significant nation being contacted outside the Sector make sense.

What would be the benefits of having a much higher density than Earth’s neighbourhood?

I guess the other surrounding sectors would be mostly vague, like the other continents on Pacifica.

Qwert, I’m speaking in terms of constriction, not benefits.
As I already said multiple times, stellar density gets quite high in most galaxies at A1-0’s general distance from the core, so even if we put the Sector in-between two galactic arms and in it’s least dense point, a stellar density of 0.009 would still be much lower than normal.

That being said, realistically speaking higher stellar densities make space more easily colonizable by cutting down on distances and increasing the amount of mass and energy available in the region. In terms of A1-0, keeping the same density mainly helps just so we don’t have to retcon too much from the current system. Also, 0.009 would be the general density for the Sector, so each plot owner could easily tweak their own density and such.

Yeah, but if we want to keep the current density (0.0009) it will be much lower than around Earth (0.004). 0.009 increases the number of stars tenfold. Not only do we get bigger plots, we get more stars in-between all existing stars as well.

wait, I got that wrong then

I thought the current density was 0.009, not 0.0009

Then forget what I said, raise it to 0.004

Jeez I knew I was an idiot but I didn’t think I was that stupid

I didn’t even realize y’all were saying 3 different numbers until 38 minutes ago

raise it to 1 (we do a little trolling here in the Nebula)

Summary

Hey would you look at that, it’s a slash sarcastic