RP Proposal for Justification of Nation Personification, and for Solutions to its Consequences

The General Opinions have formulated the current ruleset of the Sector A1-0 canon. However, I do believe you also miss the importance of continuity. If we open up the box of Pandora’s this canon would be filled with either retcons or be unrepairable. A lot of community effort has been made on the old forums which sadly isn’t visibly anymore due to the forum transfer. However, I’ll drop some links here so people can see how and why the current ruleset was formed through community discussions. For clarity, some of these discussion have taken place on the TSPRP Discord server of which I’ve found a few to illustrate my point.

TSPRP Discord:

Old Forums:

As for your specific opinions, your’re right that those actions weren’t inheritenly wrong. I myself have personified the Stoinian Star Kingdom for some bantz, but I’ve always strived for a clear IC/OOC distinction. As of late, for some that seems to have blurred and become a part of their culture. Personally, I’m not a fan of the growing blurring of IC/OOC personifications. I’m not a proponent for investing Discord infrastructure for it for the following reasons:

• It would still stimulate a personification culture, which would eventually spread out into other Discord channels. Which puts us back at square one. The confusion creates a whole array of its own problems and should be avoided for obvious reasons.
  • The Discord channels of the TSPRP server have always been OOC. Just because a sub-culture of personification has been created, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t take actions to rectify it. Though this is largely a ‘cultural’ issue. The Discord server is meant to host serious discussions primarily and banter secondly. Now sure banter comes naturally in conversations which is a good thing, but…
  • Banter can also be done OOCly. Instead of personifying like:
    “I’m going to crusade you so bad for being genetic heretics!”
    One could easily say the following instead:
    “The [Stoinian Star Kingdom / SSK] to crusade you so bad for being genetic heretics!”
    The former will create confusion for someone at some point on whether it was said IC or OOC. That’s just the nature of how different human brains interpret things. My point is that we shouldn’t stimulate IC banter on our OOC Discord server. It would confuse too many over the long haul.
  • Even so, one could always spam in #spam. Or if you want a dedicated place for such IC banter, I’m sure there’s plenty of RMB’s out there that could host. Or use the extra-canon tag on the forums.
  • If such a RMB-style banter/RP is primarily what one seeks, then I’m afraid our forum-based canon isn’t the place for it. Though I’m certain there are other venues which could host it, but our Sector A1-0 canon is based on a few principles. I remember a while back a RPer wanted to have a star nation with modern future tech where KSP space planes were the norm. That isn’t the tech level we’re RPing at in this canon. Nor should we accommodate the framework of this canon for everyone’s niches. This is a place for collaborative storytelling within a community built framework.
2 Likes