Korosian News Broadcasters Association

The KNBA is a Non Government Organization functioning within every State of Koros. It takes on the responsibility of training new journalists, and acts as a protective body for free speech. The KNBA works closely with government internet services to ensure ease of access to information and the prevention of misinformation.

Article Writer: Dohason Fala
Article Date: December 17th

How a Heavy Chemical Ban Bankrupted the Last Korosian Printing Press

On November 30th, the federal government passed legislation regulating the usage and storage of heavy chemicals. While destructive to the environment and human health, they are efficiently used in a plethora of industrial activities. One such activity is, unfortunately, the art of book publishing. Nitric and Sulfuric acids are present in many inks; the former creates vapors that are damaging to the lungs, while the latter can cause chemical burns and eye damage. Isocyanate prepolymers aid in the process of binding ink to pages, and can damage airways leading to occupational asthma. These examples are just a few on a unfortunate, suffering stained list. While the recent regulations on these and other harmful chemicals have been lauded domestically, the KNBA wishes to highlight the case of one Nadie Tuwa; former owner of the only book press in the country.

Nadie acquired the rights to operate a small factory in Hillside City in September, shortly after the government opened non essential economic sectors to free capital (individuals or organizations.) According to her, financing the operation was a 4 month struggle, but prospects were looking up. Tree growing and paper mill facility Hopi Skotch and Nadie were in talks about boosting paper supply, hopefully easing costs and widening the Korosian book market. Instead, the chemicals Nadie was instructing herself, and her workers, to use were made illegal.

“I had heard about the hearings and the votes on the bill, but I - somehow - couldn’t connect the dots that what I was using was to be banned,” Nadie described. “It wasn’t too bad, being informed; the government sent two pieces of mail, one to the factory and one to my house. They listed what things I had bought, explained that I couldn’t use 'em, and offered to reimburse me. Which, again, fine. But the suddenness of it means I didn’t have any backup plans in place. I don’t know where to buy replacement, nonharmful chemicals. I probably won’t be able to buy any before the business closes thanks to a lack of revenue. That’s another thing, Koros hasn’t had another book factory for over a decade, and I’ve had no sales. How?!”

State company Tumu Publishing was operative from 2004 to 2009; established shortly after federation, it was responsible for textbooks, newspapers, and research publication. It was never particularly prosperous, but it maintained it’s role as an important economic aspect. That was until the 2009 “University Digitization Act” when most academic institutions were mandated to use computer hardware as their primary method of teaching. While it lead to a dramatic increase of file sharing and overall efficiency, the same cannot be said of the Korosian book printing industry. Tumu was discontinued as professionals utilized digital tools and average citizens enjoyed government funded libraries instead.

“It’s actually a bit embarrassing how little Nadie’s factory closing effects the Korosian economy,” minister of finance Omusa Genesee explained in a short KNBA interview. “I think the desire for a book publishing industry is there - what people don’t enjoy reading? But the logistics of it are another thing. Tumu Publishing faced constant paper supply issues thanks to environmental legislation. That a free market company had the same problem was predictable, and that it was rended bankrupted as it was solving that issue was simply unfortunate. What I can say, is that Koros will continue to purchase books whenever possible to supply our local libraries; provided they follow similar health and safety standards as we do.”

2022 saw a record 1.6 million books borrowed and returned; while government audio book services had a further 0.6 million. Korosian libraries are well maintained, renovations taking place despite funding issues regarding the derelict state some buildings were in previously. People can find libraries as out of use places of worship, dedicated public grounds in or around parks, or online via audiobook and media services.

2 Likes