[2411.AB] Resolution to Restore Regional Accountability

We ageee with your amendment and will make the change later today.

Thank you to all who have offered support or comments, this is a resolution that matters deeply to us.

4 Likes

"Like I said, Bel. I do understand where you guys are coming from, and I really am not here to hold any grudges.
-Kris

Thoughts on this?
ā€¦ 5. Scyllaland and Siberian Districts are hereby granted full pardons for their roles in the illegal forum switch and the establishment of the Transitional Government of the South Pacific, on account of their defections prior to its downfall.
-Kris

From the messages and signaling about healing the schism and coming together as a community to creating an obviously pointed legislation created only because I applied for citizenship- what changed?

1 Like

Amnesty should never have been granted to traitors.

1 Like
It was abundantly clear since the moment the 2016 coup was defeated that there would be significant pressure for a forced reconciliation (which in practice meant us aggrieved parties had to keep our heads down about the inherent unfairness of the whole situation), so I sought to limit the level of the coupers' reintegration by offering pardons limited only to those who had wavered in their support of the Cabinet, or appeared to do so in any case. This effort clearly failed since the resolution that passed instead granted a full amnesty to any and all persons involved in the 2016 coup, a complete mockery of proper accountability that is long overdue for a remedy.

The fact remains that there were people in this region who were at the uppermost echelons of power and blatantly abused the publicā€™s trust to overthrow the government, expel their political enemies, and attempt to remake the region according to their desires. That should never have been met with the degree of forgiveness that it was given. Those who break the publicā€™s trust to such a grievous extent have forsaken their place in this community.

Change made.

2 Likes

This seems good, although Iā€™m not going to motion to move it to a vote because I doubt that many others have had the chance to read it. The only thing I would say, and this is literally nothing, would be to change ā€œupā€ to ā€œonā€

Well, since we have made edits to the resolution, it canā€™t be put to a vote for another five days. So folks should have plenty of time to read.

I agree with your proposed edit and will implement now.

1 Like

Ah, thank you, I didnā€™t know that :smile:
I know that I donā€™t often explicitly state whether something has my support or not, but Iā€™d just like to say that when this goes to a vote, Iā€™ll be voting for it

1 Like

I donā€™t think this is a good idea, but unlike the previous version it doesnā€™t have any troubling legal consequences.

Intent is to move this to vote on Monday.

2 Likes

I am only here to share my own personal mirth and amusement at accountability being used in the title of this thing. Generally, being accountable to something is to be responsible to and for it and that that responsibility persists whatever outcome is realized as opposed to simply doing away with the thingā€¦ 8 years later.

I can appreciate the alluring qualities of propaganda and the ways in which it casts a spell on those who engage in it - losing so completely and quickly the ability to see past their own nose.

The people of Domnonia believe wholeheartedly that products must not be deceptively advertised or marketed. Itā€™s a cultural pastime.

Iā€™m new here but would like to propose that the title of 2411.AB be amended to strike restore and replace with abrogating. How would we go about proposing that, officially?

side note

This passage suggests to me that you are writing for a roleplay nation in this post, so I would like to very briefly clarify here that TSPā€™s Assembly does not use roleplay nations or IC dialogue writing for them like the roleplay canons do.

3 Likes

I have no idea what youā€™re getting at, aside from a general dislike of the proposed resolution.

3 Likes

I suppose I am curious to know where the accountability part comes in? Where is the responsibility part? It feels like the title and the contents are decoupled from one another in a way that I donā€™t see in other TSP law.

Which is weird and maybe comes across as dishonest. Like, say, The Patriot Act in the United States not really having anything to do with patriotism but it sounded like a good thing so it must be.

The resolution mainly deals with holding individuals involved in the 2016 coup accountable for their actions in this event.

2 Likes

In case the draft does not make it clear, the primary effects of this resolution are to (i) officially recognise that a coup took place in 2016, and (ii) repeal the amnesty that was afforded to the coupā€™s participants in its aftermath. This is absolutely related to restoring accountability.

4 Likes

Playing takesy-backsies with a general amnesty granted 8 years ago and calling it Regional Accountability is dubious at best. The proposed sub-heading, or descriptive line, is much more appropriate.

Itā€™s interesting to know, though, that under the barest of scrutiny the entrenched bureaucracy will move so swiftly to abrogate their own responsibilities through legislative means, some even calling for the abolishment of the very institution charged to perform that scrutiny as a matter of course.

First of all, the name is not nearly as vitally important as you seem to think it is, secondly, the amnesty shouldnā€™t have happened in the first place, they tried to overthrow the government, and lastly, that final point really has nothing to do with the resolution at hand.

3 Likes

@Domnonia, you are free to vote against it if you take such strong objection with the re-establishment of accountability that should have happened years ago.

I move Wellyā€™s posted draft to a vote.

4 Likes

I second the motion.