[2322.AB] Omnibus Reconciliation of PM Appointed Cabinet Provisions

While I’m not exactly in favor of a specific thing I’ve said before, I imagine it’s a touchy subject, so it wouldn’t fit to change it in conjunction with this omnibus. However, it is a good proposal.

I don’t think OWL is more important than any individual ministry we have, and removing the legal infrastructure/mandate for the latter while maintaining the former, even if it’s in a separate law now, still doesn’t rub me the right way. It’s not necessarily a deal breaker, however.

A fair point, but I also wonder if we can’t enact a appointment system similar to how executive orders work. That is, the ministers take office immediately and if they are not approved by the Assembly, then they are removed from office. The recent resignation of our Minister of Foreign Affairs is nothing if not a case study in not wanting to wait a week to put somebody in the chair.

I also wanted to request a ruling from @Cryo or @BlockBuster2K43 / @Jebediah on how they would like to bring this omnibus up to vote. Whether it will be individual votes on each law, or a singular vote.

Office of the Chair

Standard procedure would be to bring the whole omnibus bill to a singular vote, but competing bills may be introduced, and separately and simultaneously brought to vote.

If that’s the case, then I think it wouldn’t hurt to go ahead and leave it in for now. Then, should we decide a few months down the road we don’t need it, it could be removed.

I could see that, though since the PM possesses the power inherently and is only delegating it, I don’t see why a PM couldn’t just retain the power a couple of extra days while the Assembly finished debate and confirmation. Similar to the above, I think if it proves to be a problem for the first PM or two after the change, then we could debate the merits then.

Interestingly this is how Peru does things when a Prime Minister is appointed: the Prime Minister begins to work the moment they are sworn in by the President, but they still need to secure Congress’s approval within 30 days of their appointment.

1 Like

So is a solution to become the Peru of the Pacifics, effectively?

How well does Peru’s system work? I imagine that allowing the PM to do stuff immediately, keeping the country running, is probably a good idea, but we’d have to see how well it actually does.

I’ll just say with the proposed changes to this clause, it becomes redundant. We’re better off just combining the two sentences.

I’m just now learning that Peru even has a PM.

In Peru the Prime Minister helps coordinate government policy and leads the Cabinet in the absence of the President, but they are not the head of government in the same sense as countries with a parliamentary system. That said, Prime Ministers need congressional approval and are subject to a vote of no confidence, in which case the entire Cabinet has to resign.

I think so too. Though, I think it might be worth it to dump the second sentence all together.

I motion this omnibus to vote, pending the expiration of the remaining time since the last edit to the proposal. That should likely be about 12 or so hours from now, I believe.

Second

With an agreement with TNP reached I would be happy to vote for this.

We’ll be at a vote in approx. 5 mins.

We are now at a vote!

Click Me!

This omnibus bill was passed by the Assembly, and the debate thread is being closed per the Legislative Procedure Act , Article 1, Section 9.